follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Last year I did 22 track days and 20 autox events. I used 2 full sets of Falken 615k+ and about 25% wear on a set of RS4's at the track and 6 full tires and another 25% wear on another set of RE71r's (I ran a set of sticker RE71r's in January at a 2 day track weekend and wore the passenger side tires to the wear bars).

My second set of Falkens stayed on the car their whole life (just a couple of months, they lasted about 8 trackdays and saw fewer than 5k street miles before they heat cycled out), they didn't last as long as my first set of Falkens which lasted for 10 trackdays and fewer than 2500 street miles. The RE71r's typically see less than 2k miles in their lives and last for an average of 100-150 runs depending on the venue and weather.

The RE71r's can keep up with 100tw tires like the Nitto NT01 for a couple of laps (the stones heat up faster and are good to go after half a lap in nearly any conditions, but by the 4th or 5th hot lap they are greasy and times fall off substantially). The stones like low pressures at autox, but if you run them low at the track (under 30psi hot) they wear very quickly (that's how I ruined half a set during a 45F degree day).

If I've only got a week between events (my commute is 12mi round trip), I don't feel bad leaving either the RE71r's or the Hankook RS4/Falken Azenis 615k+ on the car. 2 weeks is a coin toss depending on the weather and how beat I am after the event. I almost always put the tires I'm going to run on the night before (the farthest I drive to the track is 70mi) but I might change them at the track depending on the circumstances.

The RS4's and 615k+ are great track tires and are very consistent. They are slightly slower than the re71r's on the track (significantly slower at an autox), but they are close enough that a fast driver can keep up or outpace a lesser driver on the stickier options. My current set of RS4's are on pace to last more than 12 trackdays, and I paid about $600 including shipping and installation for the set. I might be giving up 1-1.5s to some NT01's but in similar sizes the Nittos are at least $100 more and I'd be surprised if they lasted half as long.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14stu For This Useful Post:
kevaughan (02-21-2022)
Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #16
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I'm on Yokohama AD08R's and have no problem even in the wet.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #17
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
You can do it. I did it back in my MR2 days when I was autox every weekend for a year.

BUT.... you going to need to buy a pair of tires every couple of months. They just wear out faster and they put a bit of stress on suspension, only because you drive it to the limit cause you can.

At the end of the year I had 3 sets of tires and new outer tie rods and ball joints. But it was a year long weekends autox and track time. So... that could have done them in.

Eventually my wallet made the decision to just swap out tires at events.
Eh it's your call. Your money.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:02 AM   #18
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
You’ll have no problem living with Maxxis RC-1s on the street in warmer weather, and they’re an absolute blast because of the grip they offer. You won’t heat cycle them out on the street so they’ll last a long, long time, and unlike many semi-slicks they do just fine running below their ideal operating temperature. They’re friendly to drive on when cool and break away progressively when pushed, so they won’t bite you - and they’re very quiet compared to most R-Comps. You can definitely get a faster track day tire, but the RC-1 has its place in the market and it will seriously transform your car when driven on the street - so much so, you’ll probably never want to go back to regular tire.

They do have their limitations:
  • It’s a dry weather tire (duh...), but it does just fine in damp conditions as long as there’s no standing water. If you get caught in the rain, slow down (again, duh...) and tiptoe home or to where you can park the car until the storm blows over. Driving on damp pavement without standing water is really not that big a deal at all.
  • You will need coilovers or significantly firmer springs and dampers to run them. I’m on MCS 1WNR single adjustable coilovers with 8K Swifts all around, and I think they’re about perfect for me.
  • You can’t drive on the tire below about 45° and grip falls off steeply below about 55°, so it’s a late spring, summer, and early fall tire - no biggie, it just is what it is. If you do push the car on the street in cooler weather it can be a lot of fun, but only because the grip is reduced and the car will finally break free powering through corners again.
Alright, I get it - they’re not for everyone, but I say go for it. I’ve got two seasons on mine, and I’ve never regretted my decision to run them on the street. Our cars are really fun on low grip tires where they can move around through the corners, and they’re also a totally different kind of fun when pulling close to 1.5g’s. You really need to experience both extremes to fully appreciate just how great these little cars can be. Just saying...

Last edited by RJasonKlein; 02-23-2019 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Corrected a typographical error.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #19
maxspeed

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My typical weekend is 300 street miles, I have 3 tracks within an hour from my house. Probably not worth the hassle of swapping them at the track but I will switch to the stock tires during the week. ABS will be nice my miata it was always risky on flat spotting a tire and then having to drive home on that.

Looks like camber bolts won't get me great camber numbers on the stock suspension but will hold me over until I get some coilovers. I have the 2017 suspension with RCE springs.
@RJasonKlein RC1 was going to be the next tire for my miata but I switched to the 86. Everyone I have talked to really likes them.

I picked up some gloc r12 brake pads to run on the non pp calipers. Whats a typical lifespan on track pads 8-10 days? Coming from a miata I am use to getting an entire season out of pads but I know this is not the case on the 86.
maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxspeed For This Useful Post:
RJasonKlein (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
14stu

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxspeed View Post
My typical weekend is 300 street miles, I have 3 tracks within an hour from my house. Probably not worth the hassle of swapping them at the track but I will switch to the stock tires during the week. ABS will be nice my miata it was always risky on flat spotting a tire and then having to drive home on that.

Looks like camber bolts won't get me great camber numbers on the stock suspension but will hold me over until I get some coilovers. I have the 2017 suspension with RCE springs.
@RJasonKlein RC1 was going to be the next tire for my miata but I switched to the 86. Everyone I have talked to really likes them.

I picked up some gloc r12 brake pads to run on the non pp calipers. Whats a typical lifespan on track pads 8-10 days? Coming from a miata I am use to getting an entire season out of pads but I know this is not the case on the 86.
r12's should last 10-12 trackdays, possibly more (depends on the track and your driving style but my pads outlast my tires even at brake intensive tracks). I upgraded to the AP Sprint kit and the pads are cheaper, thicker, and keep cooler so they wear better than stock. If you do 10 or more trackdays a year you'll end up saving money on the kit in the long run.
14stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I really think it's more tire dependent than TW. I'm on RT615K+ right now and selected them after doing a lot of reading on the chumpcar and lemons forums and seeing people getting good wear out of them without cycling out too easily. The older non-plus version seemed to have a bad wrap though because they would overheat real easy. In the past I ran a bunch of sets of the various generations of the Dunlop Z1, Z1 SS, ZII, ect ect and also liked them because they seemed to grip until the day they were on cords. I don't track my cars very often but go through phases where I autox regularly but if I was seriously committed to autox or track days I would for sure just get a dedicated set of tires for the track.
wow - what a contrast in experience.

I just had a convo 3 days ago with a Lemons driver who has 10 years in the series. He said they were going through 3 sets of the Falkens PER RACE WEEKEND.

They switched to 200TW Hankook RS4s at the end of last season. 1 set lasted the ENTIRE WEEKEND. And was faster. Everywhere. Always.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
I don't like daily driving on any of the 200TW tires, especially the super 200s like the RE-71 or Rival-S. They are noisy, not that great in colder temps and they do heat cycle out after a while. I much prefer to throw on my stock wheels with a set of SX2, Continental Extreme Contact Sports or even the factory Michelins.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:34 AM   #23
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
wow - what a contrast in experience.

I just had a convo 3 days ago with a Lemons driver who has 10 years in the series. He said they were going through 3 sets of the Falkens PER RACE WEEKEND.

They switched to 200TW Hankook RS4s at the end of last season. 1 set lasted the ENTIRE WEEKEND. And was faster. Everywhere. Always.
What car? That makes a big difference. If you're on a FWD oversteering pig of a car (VW, Mini, Etc...) then you're going to run into issues.

The twin is a good platform and easyish on tires. As others have said, the Falkens are not the better rain tire for the TW zone you're looking at. IMHO there's no better wet tire than a Conti DW (Or the newer ECS).

--kC
Old 02-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #24
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
What car? That makes a big difference. If you're on a FWD oversteering pig of a car (VW, Mini, Etc...) then you're going to run into issues.

The twin is a good platform and easyish on tires. As others have said, the Falkens are not the better rain tire for the TW zone you're looking at. IMHO there's no better wet tire than a Conti DW (Or the newer ECS).

--kC
A late 1990's Civic
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote