follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #7421
Scaldy

Drives: 2013 red FR-S mt
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well I had an interesting scenario happen to my Sprintex Supercharger. Got everything installed and it drove like a champ for a few weeks and then I noticed the boost would only come on after 6k. I had my mechanic check it out and he said the butterfly valve was extremely stiff, almost stuck. This started off a two month customer service twilight zone episode.

First neither the company I bought it off of nor Sprintex would claim it was their problem to solve. After a few weeks of back and forth emails and everyone passing the buck, Sprintex finally said it was their responsibility.

Unfortunately Sprintex was moving at the time so just getting an answer to an email or a phone call was like winning the lottery.

A month goes by and I finally track down who exactly I needed to talk to directly at Sprintex to solve this stuck butterfly valve. Finally a part is shipped! ...AAAnd it's the wrong part. Another week goes by and they tell me they don't have the part on the shelves so they will have to take apart a working Supercharger to source the butterfly valve. So add another few days for that to happen.

The part is shipped! Installed! And thank god it all works again.
Scaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scaldy For This Useful Post:
brianhj (08-01-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #7422
gouldfish

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CEL P0451 after Supercharger Install

Having some weird symptoms after installing my 210 supercharger w/ Intercooler kit earlier this year in May. About 2 weeks after getting everything installed and running I started noticing some issues with the engine stalling when idling, most notably when stopped at a light for a long time. Eventually I get a CEL code P0451 for an EVAP issue that has gone away and come back three times now. Oddly enough it went away twice after using a fuel system cleaner and letting it run its course, I am not looking to do this everytime the light comes on though.

The car sometimes runs fine, other times its actually stalled out and died when at a stop. It almost sounds like a fan is kicking on taking all the power away from the engine when it does it. I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point. I have changed from 91 to 93 octane gas and have a brand new battery in there now as well. The car is on the tune provided by Sprintex and hasn't had any of these issues before the supercharger.

Curious if anyone has had a similar issue or possibly have any ideas what this could be. Any help greatly appreciated!

Edit: Also of note, it is an automatic transmission, usually the idle while in drive settles around 600-650 RPMs and thats when I really notice it the most.

Last edited by gouldfish; 08-03-2016 at 09:29 AM.
gouldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #7423
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldfish View Post
Having some weird symptoms after installing my 210 supercharger w/ Intercooler kit earlier this year in May. About 2 weeks after getting everything installed and running I started noticing some issues with the engine stalling when idling, most notably when stopped at a light for a long time. Eventually I get a CEL code P0451 for an EVAP issue that has gone away and come back three times now. Oddly enough it went away twice after using a fuel system cleaner and letting it run its course, I am not looking to do this everytime the light comes on though.

The car sometimes runs fine, other times its actually stalled out and died when at a stop. It almost sounds like a fan is kicking on taking all the power away from the engine when it does it. I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point. I have changed from 91 to 93 octane gas and have a brand new battery in there now as well. The car is on the tune provided by Sprintex and hasn't had any of these issues before the supercharger.

Curious if anyone has had a similar issue or possibly have any ideas what this could be. Any help greatly appreciated!

Edit: Also of note, it is an automatic transmission, usually the idle while in drive settles around 600-650 RPMs and thats when I really notice it the most.

did you install the evap hose to the right port?

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:00 PM   #7424
gouldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream20b View Post
did you install the evap hose to the right port?
I did not personally install it, didn't trust myself with that big of a mod. I had a local professional shop do it and since have taken back there to have them verify all the hosing, so I can't say for 100% sure, but I believe it is correct.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #7425
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

my car has the 335 kit and does the same thing but only because its on a break in tune. Check your tune too.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #7426
gouldfish

Quote:
my car has the 335 kit and does the same thing but only because its on a break in tune. Check your tune too.
That's interesting, I only have the one tune provided and have not heard any mention of a break-in tune. Are you just having issues with stalling or also running into any CEL codes like the P0451 that I am getting?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #7427
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

built motor

Old 08-05-2016, 12:06 AM   #7428
SlowShifter

Drives: Toyota 86 with supercharger
So my "stuttering" problem seems to have been caused by a leaky bolt that I showed video in previous post of. Sealing it properly has removed the stuttering and made the engine less "Noisey" too. If anyone here has stuttering or the car RPM going up and down at idle you may have a vacuum leak somewhere. Mine was in one of the upside down bolts used to attach the supercharger. Pushing your finger over every bolt and see if you can hear any hissing is a quick way to test them.

https://sendvid.com/8nyyowet
SlowShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SlowShifter For This Useful Post:
CarzCarzCarz (08-05-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #7429
gouldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShifter View Post
So my "stuttering" problem seems to have been caused by a leaky bolt that I showed video in previous post of. Sealing it properly has removed the stuttering and made the engine less "Noisey" too. If anyone here has stuttering or the car RPM going up and down at idle you may have a vacuum leak somewhere. Mine was in one of the upside down bolts used to attach the supercharger. Pushing your finger over every bolt and see if you can hear any hissing is a quick way to test them.

https://sendvid.com/8nyyowet
Very interesting! I will give this a try later! I have had the car checked for any vacuum leaks with the help of a smoke machine and that all looks fine. It is an auto transmission and I've read some stories of the idle rpm needing to be raised in tune to even it out some too. I will for sure check these bolts tonight though, thank you!
Old 08-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #7430
gouldfish

I wasn't able to find any issues with the bolts. I did stall on me while it was just sitting and idling, haven't drove it at all today. I was able to get a video of it. (If this is not the correct way to add videos in forgive me)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waU57Gx8Bhg"]2013 FR-S automatic idle stall, 210 Sprintex Supercharger - YouTube[/ame]

It will start back up just fine, and then eventually get back to this point.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:06 PM   #7431
SlowShifter

Drives: Toyota 86 with supercharger
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldfish View Post
I wasn't able to find any issues with the bolts. I did stall on me while it was just sitting and idling, haven't drove it at all today. I was able to get a video of it. (If this is not the correct way to add videos in forgive me)

It will start back up just fine, and then eventually get back to this point.
Yeah that point when it stalls is just after its warmed up enough to get out of ifs warm up loop. I couldn't hear my hissing until that point is passed because it was too loud otherwise to hear it. Something else to consider is the "leak" may be sucking air in , not blowing it out.

If you had a smoke test and saw no movement then I would think maybe it is the tune or one of the connectors isn't attached properly. I'm not exactly a mechanic though so hehe. There is nothing more embarrassing than stalling at the lights or something, had that happen with one of my cars a long time ago.
SlowShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SlowShifter For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #7432
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Quote:
How's the 335 kit going and have you finished the break in
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #7433
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post
How's the 335 kit going and have you finished the break in
break in done, tune on the 16th or 17th.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:38 PM   #7434
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Finally got around to editing a quick video of the car being dyno'd!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd2pmz0Yg3c"]Supercharged FRS Dyno Pull at Mod Auto & ModBargains - YouTube[/ame]
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (08-15-2016), D_Thissen (09-04-2016), PitViper (08-11-2016), riboyster (08-12-2016), sato (08-12-2016)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.