follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #1079
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
How many miles do you have boosted, and in total on your car? Do you daily drive it?
17,000km on the turbo setup since spring when i took it out of storage. It has 19,000km total. The kit went on over the winter.

I've been running up to 15psi on the kit, which is the ceiling imo for pump gas.
andrewFT86 (10-01-2014), Astroboy (09-30-2014)
Old 09-30-2014, 11:35 PM   #1080
protpibe

@AVOturboworld Would installing the 8psi actuator and lengthening it to make my spring base wastegate pressure 9psi cure the boost creep issue? Right now, it creeps to 9psi at redline which makes me think that the exhaust port can only divert enough exhaust for that pressure with the upgraded down pipe. I'm thinking if I install the 9psi actuator and tune around it, there won't be any more boost increases at high rpm.

Am I wrong? If not, PM me Paul because I'll need an actuator lol

edit: And some of those new diff inserts!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 AM   #1081
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
To anyone else running the 3" turbo back setup without catalytic converters, are you getting boost creep?

The temp recently dropped here to about 10 degrees celcius, so it may be compounding the issue, but after installing the 3" turbo back setup from AVO, my boost creeps about 3psi over whatever it's set to as it reaches redline. My wastegate now goes from 7psi @ about 3000rpm to just under 10 by the time it redlines.

If you experienced this, how did you deal with it?
Yes when I installed the 3 inch turbo back my boost went up. You'll also get it if you swap to a more efficient intercooler. Do you have a boost controller in there as well or are you just running off wastegate pressure? I had to retune with less boost control the first time as I was using ecutek boost control. As a temporary fix I was able to turn down the preload on the wastegate. Second time I had switched to motec so the boost control table took care of it without much effort.
JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #1082
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
@AVOturboworld Would installing the 8psi actuator and lengthening it to make my spring base wastegate pressure 9psi cure the boost creep issue? Right now, it creeps to 9psi at redline which makes me think that the exhaust port can only divert enough exhaust for that pressure with the upgraded down pipe. I'm thinking if I install the 9psi actuator and tune around it, there won't be any more boost increases at high rpm.

Am I wrong? If not, PM me Paul because I'll need an actuator lol

edit: And some of those new diff inserts!
By installing the 3" discharge pipe/frontpipe system, you've decreased back pressure, boost will naturally go up. Shortening the rod on the actuator increases preload/boost, lengthening it decreases preload. You really want a bit of preload on the wastegate (about 1/4"-1/2" of the hole on actuator arm).

Boost is generally going to be lower in the lower gears, because engine load isn't as high. So ideally you want to set up boost in 4th gear. If you set your boost in the first 3 gears, once you are in higher load levels (4th gear and above) you'll have a higher boost at that point naturally. So if you set your boost levels at legal road speeds in the lower gears, this issue can arise.

The boost actuators are simple devices, in that they are actuating at 6/7/8psi measured at the turbocharger. By the time you get to the intake manifold, where pressure is read by the MAP sensor and/or boost gauges, there is usually a psi of drop. Preload on the actuator usually takes care of that.

If you are going to be running a consistant 8-10psi, an 8psi actuator will be more consistant.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #1083
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86 View Post
Yes when I installed the 3 inch turbo back my boost went up. You'll also get it if you swap to a more efficient intercooler. Do you have a boost controller in there as well or are you just running off wastegate pressure? I had to retune with less boost control the first time as I was using ecutek boost control. As a temporary fix I was able to turn down the preload on the wastegate. Second time I had switched to motec so the boost control table took care of it without much effort.
Yeah I'm using an ecu controlled boost solenoid. I'm going to upgrade to the 9psi actuator and just get it retuned from there. I figure I'm surging to 9psi at redline when it's set to spring pressure, so a 9psi actuator will keep it even throughout.

Last edited by protpibe; 10-01-2014 at 02:41 PM.
protpibe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to protpibe For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 AM   #1084
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I am learning so much
Old 10-02-2014, 03:10 AM   #1085
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have to take my car back to the tuner for a tweak. I have a new Southbend clutch (which actually holds the torque) and a fairly new 2.5" AVO OP/Mid + a 3" Perrin exhaust.

If I am on the highway now and I hammer the gas in 4th 5th or 6th - the car starts to boost and then POW it seems to cut fuel instantly. I have been told this is the boost limiter kicking in. I am assuming that this means an Ecutek boost limiter.

I can also hear the turbo and feel boost creeping up into the 4500-5000 RPM range. It's not as smooth as it used to be. It's almost like I can feel the car jumping in little increments. It scared me at first because I thought my clutch was slipping. That's not what is going on.

Anyway - can someone explain to me what parameters likely need to be adjusted so I understand a little better before I get to the tuner?

The car has these features:

8PSI Boost actuator
Upgraded MAP sensor
Electronic Boost Control Solenoid

It is currently set at just 8PSI but is generating 275WHP/217 ft/lbs of tq (That was on a bad CC 3 stage segmented ceramic that was turned into dust)

I am looking forward to seeing how close we can get to 300WHP with the new clutch.

I want to make this my last trip in for a dyno tune for awhile since it's a 3 hour drive.

Any other pointers on how to get the best balance of performance and reliability out of my setup would be appreciated too! I love that the avo turbo/system doesn't need crazy amounts of boost to generate HP. It was set at 9PSI before and I felt like it behaved better. Last time, we dropped boost and gained HP. (The exhaust played a role in this - it has opened up quite a bit)

Thanks in advance.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #1086
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
I have to take my car back to the tuner for a tweak. I have a new Southbend clutch (which actually holds the torque) and a fairly new 2.5" AVO OP/Mid + a 3" Perrin exhaust.

If I am on the highway now and I hammer the gas in 4th 5th or 6th - the car starts to boost and then POW it seems to cut fuel instantly. I have been told this is the boost limiter kicking in. I am assuming that this means an Ecutek boost limiter.

I can also hear the turbo and feel boost creeping up into the 4500-5000 RPM range. It's not as smooth as it used to be. It's almost like I can feel the car jumping in little increments. It scared me at first because I thought my clutch was slipping. That's not what is going on.

Anyway - can someone explain to me what parameters likely need to be adjusted so I understand a little better before I get to the tuner?

The car has these features:

8PSI Boost actuator
Upgraded MAP sensor
Electronic Boost Control Solenoid

It is currently set at just 8PSI but is generating 275WHP/217 ft/lbs of tq (That was on a bad CC 3 stage segmented ceramic that was turned into dust)

I am looking forward to seeing how close we can get to 300WHP with the new clutch.

I want to make this my last trip in for a dyno tune for awhile since it's a 3 hour drive.

Any other pointers on how to get the best balance of performance and reliability out of my setup would be appreciated too! I love that the avo turbo/system doesn't need crazy amounts of boost to generate HP. It was set at 9PSI before and I felt like it behaved better. Last time, we dropped boost and gained HP. (The exhaust played a role in this - it has opened up quite a bit)

Thanks in advance.
Are you just running the AVO base map?

And do you have a boost gauge?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #1087
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@AVOturboworld
Please send a car to Vishnu Tuning to develop tunes for the OFT, so I can buy your kit!

Sincerely,
Future Customer
Old 10-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #1088
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjcyber View Post
@AVOturboworld
Please send a car to Vishnu Tuning to develop tunes for the OFT, so I can buy your kit!

Sincerely,
Future Customer
The kit comes with the ECUTEK base maps. You would only have to buy a license which would be less than OFT.
Astroboy (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #1089
mwjcyber

Drives: 13' Subaru BRZ Limited SWP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The kit comes with the ECUTEK base maps. You would only have to buy a license which would be less than OFT.
License alone doesn't load the base map. So unless including $ for cable, now talking have turbo installed and tuned somewhere, which will cost lots of $$, instead of doing it myself. Also I would prefer an OTS OFT tune from @Shiv@Openflash over the AVO EcuTek base map.

Besides, for those already with an OFT why would we want EcuTek if don't intend to run more than 300bhp? No reason a 93oct <10psi boost tune couldn't be done with OFT.
Btw, my nearest EcuTek tuner is >400 miles away.

Last edited by mwjcyber; 10-03-2014 at 01:01 PM.
mwjcyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #1090
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjcyber View Post
License alone doesn't load the base map. So unless including cable (>$ than OFT) now talking have turbo installed and tuned somewhere, which will cost lots of $$, instead of doing it myself.

Besides, for those already with an OFT why would we want EcuTek if don't intend to run more than 300hp? No reason a 93oct <10psi boost tune couldn't be done with OFT. Btw, my nearest EcuTek tuner is >400 miles away.
You can find a used cable for cheap, or if you have someone local that already has one, you can borrow it. You don't need to have your car tuned if you have the base map. it's as simple as connecting your car to your laptop and clicking a few buttons to flash the map. Done. Seriously, the AVO base maps aren't a starting point for a tuner, they're actual refined tunes for their Stage 1/2/3 kits.

And I live in Winnipeg MB Canada. I have no tuners anywhere near me lol
Astroboy (10-03-2014), mwjcyber (10-03-2014), Pete156 (10-04-2014), SkAsphalt (10-03-2014)
Old 10-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #1091
DrunkMonkey45

Drives: 2015 Brz Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
So here's a question what's needed to make about 310-320 whp consistently?
DrunkMonkey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #1092
protpibe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkMonkey45 View Post
So here's a question what's needed to make about 310-320 whp consistently?
I would say

Fuel Pump
Injectors
Boost Controller
Clutch
Exhaust
MAP Sensor

E85 will make it easier to hit those power numbers, but it's possible on 91.

Tags
avo, avoturboworld