follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List
Clash0901

Old 10-19-2019, 12:46 AM   #169
Stevemode

Drives: "Baby Gurl" of FBM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash0901 View Post

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

^The prices list in this spreadsheet are all what "you should expect to pay". They are not indicative of what i've spent but I will say my total is close to $42k on all these parts listed.

Solid work on the spreadsheet. The prices for listed items seem right inline with what the parts would go for.

IG: Stevemode62
Stevemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:55 AM   #170
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
you can't say 40K on top of owning the car...

Quote:
What are you scratching your head about?
Ya can't say 40K on top of already owning the car, when you include the cost of the car in the 40K... How do you not understand what I'm trying to say there?

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #171
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Drives: Nike
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Ya can't say 40K on top of already owning the car, when you include the cost of the car in the 40K... How do you not understand what I'm trying to say there?

Jaden
I definitely can say that. That's what others should expect to pay unless they are able to do ALL of the labor themselves like I did. I'm giving people my real world experience and then giving them a real expectation. You can do it for less, or you can do it for more. I can't predict that without knowing more information. Hope you are no longer scratching your head sir.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #172
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,099 Times in 2,656 Posts
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
I definitely can say that. That's what others should expect to pay unless they are able to do ALL of the labor themselves like I did. I'm giving people my real world experience and then giving them a real expectation. You can do it for less, or you can do it for more. I can't predict that without knowing more information. Hope you are no longer scratching your head sir.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. From his comment it appears he is confused because you included the car in the 40k and then additionally said it was 40k ON TOP OF the car. So essentially you counted the car twice. That's my understanding, hopefully I haven't confused it more
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #173
Greenbean

Drives: 2017 series yellow BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
15 is pretty low for a 2jz since the motors generally run about 8k as far as I can tell.

If you wanted to take a stock 2jz and throw it in for"cheap" you could probably get out the door about 30k
2JZ cause around 3k.....
Old 10-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #174
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I think there is a misunderstanding here. From his comment it appears he is confused because you included the car in the 40k and then additionally said it was 40k ON TOP OF the car. So essentially you counted the car twice. That's my understanding, hopefully I haven't confused it more
You are adding more confusion to me, that's for sure. Show me where I said my car cost me $40k plus cost of car. My spreadsheet, with my car cost included, shows roughly $46k total. I am telling people it will be roughly $40k with parts and labor plus the cost of their car. I stand behind that because i'm not confident of people's abilities so i'm just generalizing the cost. It may be higher or lower than that but giving people realistic expectations might help them decide not to do this. Nobody told me and here I am almost $50k into this car and I need more parts, more e85 tuning, wheels and tires to put the power down, etc so i'll be at $50k come springtime for sure.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #175
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
2JZ cause around 3k.....
vvti is about $3k, non-vvti is closer to $4k but that's for a stock, crappy old engine. Not worthy of putting into anything and running it since it will at the very least have a few leaks. Needs to be completely gone through and at the very least replace all gaskets, vacuum lines, oil pump, water pump, and timing. But if anybody wants to make real power building the head is definitely recommended.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:08 PM   #176
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,249 Times in 2,081 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

Jaden

He's not... he's saying his build so far is around $40k including the cost of the car, but if someone wanted to do it and was paying labour their costs would be about $40k plus the car.

It's only confusing because it's a similar price point for both.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
all4spl (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #177
all4spl

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yes I think @wpartsons cleared it up. If anyone else was doing this, they would have ot pay for labor typically which would put the cost at 40kish + the car cost. If you can do ALL of the work yourself, you can expect to shave some cost which will put the total at 40k, with the price of the car included in that.
all4spl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #178
Jaden
Road-hole

ok...

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4spl View Post
Yes I think @wpartsons cleared it up. If anyone else was doing this, they would have ot pay for labor typically which would put the cost at 40kish + the car cost. If you can do ALL of the work yourself, you can expect to shave some cost which will put the total at 40k, with the price of the car included in that.

I don't know why anyone would want to do a swap if they couldn't do most of the fab and all of the assembly themselves, seems like a fool's errand because what if something goes wrong with the car later down the road?

Not like you could easily take it to any old repair shop to get it fixed. In that case I agree with the fools who automatically jump in and say, buy a faster car to start with.

If you have to pay a shop to do a swap, I would suggest buying a faster car to start with.

However, I get tired of people saying you have to spend 30K plus to get a swap done because it's just not true.

Jaden
Old 10-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #179
Greenbean

Quote:
You are adding more confusion to me, that's for sure. Show me where I said my car cost me $40k plus cost of car. My spreadsheet, with my car cost included, shows roughly $46k total. I am telling people it will be roughly $40k with parts and labor plus the cost of their car. I stand behind that because i'm not confident of people's abilities so i'm just generalizing the cost. It may be higher or lower than that but giving people realistic expectations might help them decide not to do this. Nobody told me and here I am almost $50k into this car and I need more parts, more e85 tuning, wheels and tires to put the power down, etc so i'll be at $50k come springtime for sure.
You can go through all that and still put heads on for less than 15k. Where i live i can get a 40-60k vvti compression tested for 3k all day but yes i agree they can have small problems but in what part of a swap do you not have problems
Old 10-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #180
Clash0901
2 ugga dugga's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
You can go through all that and still put heads on for less than 15k. Where i live i can get a 40-60k vvti compression tested for 3k all day but yes i agree they can have small problems but in what part of a swap do you not have problems
I got my vvti engine for less than 3k, not sure what you're talking about. Just look at the spreadsheet I posted on page 1. "Can" and "do/did" are two different things. You cannot come in here commenting what it costs until you've actually done it. Once you, not a friend, not somebody you know, but you yourself have done the swap. Then I will take what you and anybody else has to say about how much the swap can be done for, seriously. Otherwise, you'd be spewing misinformation to myself and other people coming here to seek real guidance.
ILLSMOQ (10-29-2019), Irace86.2.0 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 05:29 PM   #181
Jaden
Road-hole

I don't have to do shit...

Quote:
I got my vvti engine for less than 3k, not sure what you're talking about. Just look at the spreadsheet I posted on page 1. "Can" and "do/did" are two different things. You cannot come in here commenting what it costs until you've actually done it. Once you, not a friend, not somebody you know, but you yourself have done the swap. Then I will take what you and anybody else has to say about how much the swap can be done for, seriously. Otherwise, you'd be spewing misinformation to myself and other people coming here to seek real guidance.
I don't have to go skydiving to say that you can jump out of a plane and land safely on the ground. I have but that's besides the point.

I have done engine swaps before and quit frankly, you're simply full of shit. Just because you over paid and assume others will have to also doesn't mean shit.

Plenty of others have swapped 2j's into this platform for a LOT less than you.

Personally, I don't want a 2j in this platform so I'm not going to PROVE you wrong.

I will eventually be doing another swap in the 86 but I've got other fish in the fryer right now.

Jaden
Old 10-30-2019, 06:45 AM   #182
Greenbean

Quote:
I wasnt really talking about what you were saying i was talking about the other guy..... I was actually agreeing with you and yes actually i have priced all this out and not for window shopping i have a full quote for every part and installation for this swap bc Im currently gathering parts to do it.