follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #2045
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift
 
BlaineWasHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: FRS
Location: NorCal
Posts: 3,472
Thanks: 782
Thanked 1,746 Times in 916 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
Has anyone tried running a 18x9 with the 265/35/18? There are almost no wheels out there but I did see Enkei is going to start selling the GTC01RR in the US, it has an 18x9 +40 version. Unfortunately it's also $550/wheel.

Rota makes plenty of reps in 18x9

BUT I doubt it's faster than 17x9 with 245.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
BlaineWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #2046
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 133
Thanked 471 Times in 317 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Spoons View Post
Should fall under the comfort and convenience section. As long as you're replacing it and not just taking out the weight it should be fine.
Single DIN will be lighter. But protesting over an honest stereo upgrade is crazy talk.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #2047
xwd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Location: ATL, US
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 123
Thanked 853 Times in 547 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Rota makes plenty of reps in 18x9

BUT I doubt it's faster than 17x9 with 245.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at Wheeldude after shortly making the post. The only 18x9 Rotas readily available in our fitment are the G-Force at about 23.5lbs per wheel.

I also don't think it would buy you much if anything, but it would be an interesting experiment. The RX8s always ran that size and it looks like the 128i guys are going to be running that size as well.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #2048
48Spoons
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 73
Thanks: 9
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
Single DIN will be lighter. But protesting over an honest stereo upgrade is crazy talk.
Yeah, was more so going as long as you replace it instead of leaving a hole because the radio wave and transmitting the signal from the aliens through your fillings.

Was contemplating stuffing a 7 inch tablet in place of the stock radio for a bit the then ended up being lazy.
48Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #2049
smg1138
Senior Member
 
smg1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Location: Nashville
Posts: 712
Thanks: 808
Thanked 202 Times in 130 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What would you guys consider to be the essential mods for competing at Nationals? I'm planning to go with a couple of friends this year and would like to make sure my car is as competitive as possible. By September my tires will probably need replacing, so I'll probably be going with RE-71R's when the time comes.

Here are the mods I've made for STX so far: RCE Tarmac 2's, Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35, Hankook RS3 V2 245/40/17, JDL UEL header, Perrin 2.5 catback, OFT 93 tune, K&N filter, Whiteline 20mm front bar, Whiteline Lower Control Arms

Last edited by smg1138; 03-15-2016 at 02:19 PM.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #2050
justint5387
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Drives: 4 wheels
Location: CA
Posts: 243
Thanks: 349
Thanked 185 Times in 110 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
I looked at Wheeldude after shortly making the post. The only 18x9 Rotas readily available in our fitment are the G-Force at about 23.5lbs per wheel.

I also don't think it would buy you much if anything, but it would be an interesting experiment. The RX8s always ran that size and it looks like the 128i guys are going to be running that size as well.
I think there were only 1 or 2 RX8s that ran 18x9. Jeff Hurst was on 17x9 with 235 Toyos when he ran. Kyle had 17x9s as well on his 128. I would rather optimize the unsprung weight unless you are really loading the tires in the corner to need the wider tires.
justint5387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #2051
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR
 
Silver Ignition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 759
Thanks: 483
Thanked 342 Times in 195 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
What would you guys consider to be the essential mods for competing at Nationals? I'm planning to go with a couple of friends this year and would like to make sure my car is as competitive as possible. By September my tires will probably need replacing, so I'll probably be going with RE-71R's when the time comes.

Here are the mods I've made for STX so far: RCE Tarmac 2's, Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35, Hankook RS3 V2 245/40/17, JDL UEL header, Perrin 2.5 catback, OFT 93 tune, K&N filter, Whiteline 20mm front bar


Essential Mod: Seat Time


Your car sounds pretty well prepped for STX
__________________
2013 Sc10n FR-S 10 Series
#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver Ignition For This Useful Post:
LOLS2K (03-15-2016), smg1138 (03-15-2016), strat61caster (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #2052
ハチロク
Member
 
ハチロク's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 74
Thanks: 16
Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
Here are the mods I've made for STX so far: RCE Tarmac 2's, Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35, Hankook RS3 V2 245/40/17, JDL UEL header, Perrin 2.5 catback, OFT 93 tune, K&N filter, Whiteline 20mm front bar
What's the rule for wheel offset in stx class? Is there a limit like there is for stock?
ハチロク is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #2053
smg1138
Senior Member
 
smg1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Location: Nashville
Posts: 712
Thanks: 808
Thanked 202 Times in 130 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ignition View Post
Essential Mod: Seat Time


Your car sounds pretty well prepped for STX
That's what I was hoping to hear. I'm wanting to concentrate on driving this year. Hopefully the only thing I'll need are new tires.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #2054
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 133
Thanked 471 Times in 317 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
What would you guys consider to be the essential mods for competing at Nationals? I'm planning to go with a couple of friends this year and would like to make sure my car is as competitive as possible. By September my tires will probably need replacing, so I'll probably be going with RE-71R's when the time comes.

Here are the mods I've made for STX so far: RCE Tarmac 2's, Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35, Hankook RS3 V2 245/40/17, JDL UEL header, Perrin 2.5 catback, OFT 93 tune, K&N filter, Whiteline 20mm front bar
This is a solid start. Strongly recommend you ditch the RS3s, they were last year's tire...last year.

The next step from here would be a dedicated 2.5" ID coilover setup. After that it's lots of niggly little things that all add up, and a proper race diff ($$$).
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #2055
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 1,036
Thanks: 133
Thanked 471 Times in 317 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ハチロク View Post
What's the rule for wheel offset in stx class? Is there a limit like there is for stock?
Offset is unrestricted. However you are not allowed to roll the fenders or have holes in your wheel well liner due to tire rub.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
ハチロク (03-15-2016), strat61caster (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #2056
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,097
Thanks: 12,444
Thanked 8,230 Times in 4,301 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
What would you guys consider to be the essential mods for competing at Nationals? I'm planning to go with a couple of friends this year and would like to make sure my car is as competitive as possible. By September my tires will probably need replacing, so I'll probably be going with RE-71R's when the time comes.

Here are the mods I've made for STX so far: RCE Tarmac 2's, Enkei RPF1 17x9 +35, Hankook RS3 V2 245/40/17, JDL UEL header, Perrin 2.5 catback, OFT 93 tune, K&N filter, Whiteline 20mm front bar
Work on a good setup, you didn't mention camber plates or LCA so I'm going to assume you have neither and need more camber. Develop your alignment, tire pressures, sway bar settings, ride heights, damper settings, those can transform a car from dead last to ttod. I've driven cars with identical parts that feel like different animals because there are dozens of adjustments you can make.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:17 PM   #2057
smg1138
Senior Member
 
smg1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Location: Nashville
Posts: 712
Thanks: 808
Thanked 202 Times in 130 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Work on a good setup, you didn't mention camber plates or LCA so I'm going to assume you have neither and need more camber. Develop your alignment, tire pressures, sway bar settings, ride heights, damper settings, those can transform a car from dead last to ttod. I've driven cars with identical parts that feel like different animals because there are dozens of adjustments you can make.
Crap, I forgot about my LCA's! I have the newer Whiteline LCA's installed in the back. I'm currently using the stock tophats and don't have camber plates. I was going to get some, but I'm able to get -3 camber up front with just the slotted holes on the RCE coilovers. The only benefit I can see from camber plates would be additional caster.
smg1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #2058
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,097
Thanks: 12,444
Thanked 8,230 Times in 4,301 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smg1138 View Post
Crap, I forgot about my LCA's! I have the newer Whiteline LCA's installed in the back. I'm currently using the stock tophats and don't have camber plates. I was going to get some, but I'm able to get -3 camber up front with just the slotted holes on the RCE coilovers. The only benefit I can see from camber plates would be additional caster.
Everyone I've talked to who has committed to a real number is running more than three degrees, myself included. If the tire temps work for you then keep on trucking.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on a "component" setup with a 3.5" dash and 6.5" door setup? PatrickSAN Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 22 11-14-2012 03:12 PM
SCCA sway bar rules gmookher Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 0 09-01-2012 06:48 PM
Suggestion for vendor rules... Tainen Site Announcements / Questions / Issues 31 08-15-2012 01:53 PM
Rules for posting in this section Hachiroku User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments 0 06-25-2012 11:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.