follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #1
Wilsonk227

Drives: Super Vehicular Terrain Vehicle
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Long shot - Perrin 3" resonated catback

Hi Guys,

I know this may sound stupid and is most likely a long shot but I was wondering if anyone here who might have a resonated 3" perrin catback might also have the DB levels? lolol

If this is stupid please close it but I was just wondering since I really want a nice sounding rumble exhaust like the perrin but don't want to be obnoxiously loud/disrupt the neighbors or the worst part attract unwanted attention... ahem.

If you have this exhaust please share your thoughts on it for me Would love to hear them. Thanks!

Wilsonk227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not what you're looking for but I know from experience that the 2.5" resonated perrin is brutal on cold starts. Especially in a confined space like a garage. But from what I hear that's just the car in general. Could be considered loud/disrupt the neighbors.

Otherwise the tone is no louder than a Z car in my opinion.

Last edited by Porcupint; 01-07-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porcupint For This Useful Post:
Wilsonk227 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
limitedblkwrx
Ultimate Member

Drives: 2014 Satin White BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonk227 View Post
Hi Guys,

I know this may sound stupid and is most likely a long shot but I was wondering if anyone here who might have a resonated 3" perrin catback might also have the DB levels? lolol

If this is stupid please close it but I was just wondering since I really want a nice sounding rumble exhaust like the perrin but don't want to be obnoxiously loud/disrupt the neighbors or the worst part attract unwanted attention... ahem.

If you have this exhaust please share your thoughts on it for me Would love to hear them. Thanks!
My buddy has the 2.5 resonated with a catted front pipe and it's not really loud, but has good tone when getting on it.
limitedblkwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to limitedblkwrx For This Useful Post:
Wilsonk227 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
BrandonB

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a 3" perrin with a catted front its definitely not too loud but it makes a nice sound it does however drone slightly on the freeway. I might be selling it pretty soon.
BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandonB For This Useful Post:
Wilsonk227 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
JOSEC

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonk227 View Post
Hi Guys,

I've been living with the Perrin 3" Resonated Catback for an entire year and have grown to love it. I personally think its not too loud but present when you get on it. I was running stock headers, Perrin Overripe, Perrin 3" Catted Front Pipe, with the 3" Catback. I only tested DB level once and can't test it again since I have a catless JDL UEL Header now. With the mic about 12 inches away and revved to 7K, it peaked at about 103 DB. Cold start was brutal. What I can say is that it sounded pretty deep, brought out some rumble from the stock header (minimally un-equal) and it did sound very good.
JOSEC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JOSEC For This Useful Post:
Wilsonk227 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:54 AM   #6
Wilsonk227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupint View Post
Not what you're looking for but I know from experience that the 2.5" resonated perrin is brutal on cold starts. Especially in a confined space like a garage. But from what I hear that's just the car in general. Could be considered loud/disrupt the neighbors.

Otherwise the tone is no louder than a Z car in my opinion.
not much louder than a Z is pretty good imo. That's what i'm looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitedblkwrx View Post
My buddy has the 2.5 resonated with a catted front pipe and it's not really loud, but has good tone when getting on it.
does it rumble well? I feel like youtube videos that i've watched doesnt do it justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonB View Post
I have a 3" perrin with a catted front its definitely not too loud but it makes a nice sound it does however drone slightly on the freeway. I might be selling it pretty soon.
where are you located?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEC View Post
I've been living with the Perrin 3" Resonated Catback for an entire year and have grown to love it. I personally think its not too loud but present when you get on it. I was running stock headers, Perrin Overripe, Perrin 3" Catted Front Pipe, with the 3" Catback. I only tested DB level once and can't test it again since I have a catless JDL UEL Header now. With the mic about 12 inches away and revved to 7K, it peaked at about 103 DB. Cold start was brutal. What I can say is that it sounded pretty deep, brought out some rumble from the stock header (minimally un-equal) and it did sound very good.
103 DB with the over pipe and all? D:

Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 AM   #7
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 1,060 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I checked my 3" resonated when I first put it on (perrin 2.5 overpipe too/rest stock) I didn't do a cold start as I drove it to work/swapped it and then checked. I will say it did quiet a bit after about of week of driving.

Idle (hot) was just under 67. Free reving it to 3k was around 86db and 7 was around 108db. Cold start is brutal if you have a stock exhaust just rev your car to 5k for a couple min and see if anyone complains :P

Dez has a great video around the 12:00 mark showing the DB of the 2.5 resonated.

Having both the 2.5 res and the 3.0 res I'd go 2.5 unless you plan on going FI. The 2.5 was puuuurrrrrfect mature sound. I know perrin has shown theat the 3.0 makes more power (with intake and tune) than the 2.5 but it was very minimal and could be in the tuning. I don't belive any other 3rd party has tested this. Either one is a win in my eyes. The only time I really enjoy the 3.0 more is when I'm screaming in the higher rpms.

//2013 World Rally Blue BRZ Limited FBM Turbo
//2018 Crystal White Pearl BRZ Ts Supercharged
Kiske is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
Wilsonk227 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:49 AM   #8
Wilsonk227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
I checked my 3" resonated when I first put it on (perrin 2.5 overpipe too/rest stock) I didn't do a cold start as I drove it to work/swapped it and then checked. I will say it did quiet a bit after about of week of driving.

Idle (hot) was just under 67. Free reving it to 3k was around 86db and 7 was around 108db. Cold start is brutal if you have a stock exhaust just rev your car to 5k for a couple min and see if anyone complains :P

Dez has a great video around the 12:00 mark showing the DB of the 2.5 resonated. Supercharged Vortech Scion FR-S BRZ Install Review | Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Having both the 2.5 res and the 3.0 res I'd go 2.5 unless you plan on going FI. The 2.5 was puuuurrrrrfect mature sound. I know perrin has shown theat the 3.0 makes more power (with intake and tune) than the 2.5 but it was very minimal and could be in the tuning. I don't belive any other 3rd party has tested this. Either one is a win in my eyes. The only time I really enjoy the 3.0 more is when I'm screaming in the higher rpms.
wow thank you! That's really informative. I was always leaning towards the 3" because of the way it sounded so deep but then you're starting to convince me that I'd be just as happy with a 2.5. Aiyah I will have to do more research now. I'm not going FI so I'm not worried about power or anything like that. But I'll definitely be looking into this stuff. Do you happen to have a video of your car? xD

Old 01-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
DAMN YOU!! I want the 3" Perrin overpipe and catted front pipe to go with the 3" resonated! I'm sad they stopped selling it

I've been running the 3" resonated CB for over a year now and agree that it's not too loud. It's definitely loudest on cold start, but even then it's very sexy and if you're in a house with the door closed you can barely hear it.

Quote:
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
Wilsonk227 (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
JOSEC

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
DAMN YOU!! I want the 3" Perrin overpipe and catted front pipe to go with the 3" resonated! I'm sad they stopped selling it

I've been running the 3" resonated CB for over a year now and agree that it's not too loud. It's definitely loudest on cold start, but even then it's very sexy and if you're in a house with the door closed you can barely hear it.
It's such a quality piece. I love it and after over a year of ownership, it still looks good. It does have that burnt titanium look to it which I love. Sadly I'll be removing it as soon as I get my catted and resonated Front Pipe from JDL. It's to quiet the exhaust down a bit after the JDL UEL. I do love the way it sounds when
JOSEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

The inlet on the 3" FP is 2.5"... There's no 3" OP from perrin afaik.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
fika84

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
The inlet on the 3" FP is 2.5"... There's no 3" OP from perrin afaik.
There used to be! They discontinued it very shortly after they made it.

for your reference http://blog.perrinperformance.com/3-...ults-and-tune/
Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
fika84

Garage
Quote:
It's such a quality piece. I love it and after over a year of ownership, it still looks good. It does have that burnt titanium look to it which I love. Sadly I'll be removing it as soon as I get my catted and resonated Front Pipe from JDL. It's to quiet the exhaust down a bit after the JDL UEL. I do love the way it sounds when
Those are the guys that I've been leaning toward to mate up to the 3" as well to keep things quiet, yet awesome.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Wilsonk227

Quote:

i think I might have to go with the 3" if you can't hear it in the house

Tags
brz, catback, exhaust, frs, perrin