follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2017, 10:42 PM   #29
JohnnyK

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The mods WILL make the price go down, regardless of what people here say (and unless they are the ones giving you cash for it, ignore).

For what it's worth, I just picked up my 2013 Sport Tech (Limited) a couple weeks ago. Bone stock (I passed on many because they were modded. And they were modded by young kids who thought it was a racecar and beat the hell out of. THAT's why the price decreases, whether you did or not, will be in the buyers mind).

33000km (20K miles?), 1 or 2 door dings (dealer took care of those), $18K Canadian to give you an idea. I don't think the exchange rate is a fair comparison since that would put it at a 13.5k USD Car, but I DEFINITELY wouldn't not pay $18K USD.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:52 AM   #30
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm looking at $15-16k with mods private sale. I don't want what trade in to a dealer would look like. But it's probably $13.5k-$14k or something in that range. So I'm thinking your estimates are about right. Dealer would probably try to sell it $16k-$18k final price. I'm really just guessing based on comparing list prices though.

I hate to see you let it go. Hopefully someone in the community picks it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:02 AM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
The mods WILL make the price go down, regardless of what people here say (and unless they are the ones giving you cash for it, ignore).

For what it's worth, I just picked up my 2013 Sport Tech (Limited) a couple weeks ago. Bone stock (I passed on many because they were modded. And they were modded by young kids who thought it was a racecar and beat the hell out of. THAT's why the price decreases, whether you did or not, will be in the buyers mind).

33000km (20K miles?), 1 or 2 door dings (dealer took care of those), $18K Canadian to give you an idea. I don't think the exchange rate is a fair comparison since that would put it at a 13.5k USD Car, but I DEFINITELY wouldn't not pay $18K USD.
The mods will make the price go down if selling to a dealer. Not necessarily if a private sale. You are not going to get the full value of the mods back but in the right market you can get at least a little bit more for the car. Remember that those same young kids you spoke of may be the buyer. There are loads of buyers out there that don't think the same way you or I do so we can't make sweeping comments that nobody would pay that.

No you can't apply the exchange rate against value. That only works if using US funds to pay.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #32
JohnnyK

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The mods will make the price go down if selling to a dealer. Not necessarily if a private sale. You are not going to get the full value of the mods back but in the right market you can get at least a little bit more for the car. Remember that those same young kids you spoke of may be the buyer. There are loads of buyers out there that don't think the same way you or I do so we can't make sweeping comments that nobody would pay that.

No you can't apply the exchange rate against value. That only works if using US funds to pay.

That is true if he can find the right buyer.

2 that come to mind that I was looking at are:
I was looking at a car (10 series) and it turns out it had exhaust "delete" (hah), and the badges wired to light all the time (The opposite of what I would want), different wheels, etc "I've had it up to 200 a bunch of times!"..... "Pass"

And I encountered a whole bunch of poor schmucks on Kijiji that I felt bad for who had 100000+km on it, and were trying to sell it for $28000 to pay it off. I suppose a byproduct of the great 96 month finance deals.
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyK For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-27-2017), Tcoat (02-03-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #33
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Thanks everyone for your help. I listed the car in the classifieds and we'll see how it goes. Anyone have any comments about my ad?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115464
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #34
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I just wanted to finish this thread out in case anyone was curious. I ended up getting a somewhat cold-call from a dealership I was looking for cars at and asked. I told her about the overall condition of the car and she came back with a trade-in offer of $16,700. With the sales-tax advantage in my state, that's basically an offer of $17,700. I spend the next day taking off all of the bolt-ons (and replacing with stock parts) and I'm in the process of selling the aftermarket parts (which would have gone to the next owner if I sold it private party).

Trading the car in has been a net-positive for me, financially. I miss the car, though.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grimlock For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-27-2017)