follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #15
SmartedPanda

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited Manual. 2014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Optimum Spray Wax
[| Blox 490 Knob | Mishimoto Silicon Intake | K&N Filter | DD Always-On DRL | Tomei 60S | Weather Tech | RED USDM TOM's Tail Lights | OEM Underbody Panels | Intec High Mount Brake | RexSpeed Heated Wide Mirrors | TC105N 17x9 | Super Sport 245/40R17 |TRD Quickshifter | Porsche Brake Air Duct | TRD Sliding Armrest| OEM Knee Pads | MTEC Shifter Springs| WRX OEM Oil Cooler| Generic PVC Catch Can|]
SmartedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:48 PM   #16
Clockwork

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Why would you consider buying car maintenance products from a 21 year old Youtuber? What does creating time killing Youtube videos have to do with car wax?
Buy Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 or Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze that have thousands of happy customers and be done with it.
Praise you, exactly what I was thinking my guy. LMAO
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #17
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I personally have used stuff from Griots Garage "hella expensive but somewhat worth it" in the past but have since moved to the Chemical Guys because of their more affordable pricing. Have I noticed a decrease in quality since making the switch? NOPE NOPE NOPE
Old 02-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #18
Carbinebbq

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Garage
I'll stick with Meguiars. Looked at the Signature line and it gives me the impression of "here's some wax with my name on it, and that's why you should by it". Not a fan of the design either. That look was overused in my design classes when doing my BA.

2017 WRB BRZ
Carbinebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #19
Junkman2008

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS8520 View Post
Plenty of products under 25 that can protect your vehicle for 6 months.
How LONG a product last has MULTIPLE factors that play into the scenario. You can't just make a blanket statement like that because it definitely isn't true for everyone, in every situation and living in every climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
I use P&S Ultra coat Paint Sealant. Lasts me all year (provided you regularly wash your car as needed).
How often you wash your car WILL affect how long your protection last. The more you wash, the more your protection will wear. Dirt does not affect the longevity of your wax or sealant like salt will. Also, using the WRONG product to wash your car cam undo your protection quicker than anything. Stuff like Dawn and Palmolive dish soap can strip wax in one application so a proper PH balanced car soap is very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Just pick a good sealant. Apply twice a year depending on washing. That provides the protection. Use virtually any glaze or wax with carnuaba for more of a shine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS8520 View Post
Sonax PNS is an excellent sealant agreed. One thing and of course opinions are subjective however the only thing a glaze technically does is hide swirls, it does nothing to increase "shine". The only thing that creates shine if you want to call it that is machine polishing with a polish, and then some coatings increase gloss.
EXACTLY, only what you meant to say at the end was that a coating will create depth of gloss, not MORE gloss. Only polishing, as you mentioned will create more gloss. And as you also pointed out, glazes HIDE paint damage. If using a glaze is making someone's paint look better, it's because you haven't removed all of the damage that is in the paint. If you are going to use a glaze, I say why are you bothering with polishing. Either REMOVE that paint damage or keep covering it up with a glaze, which only last for a short period of time untill you wash your car enough times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Car does not shine quite like a good glaze but it's good enough for my DD.
As you now know from what NLS8520 posted, a wax has NOTHING to do with creating a shine unless you are using it to grind dirt and other contamination off of your paint. That is the WRONG wax to use a wax unless you are using a AIO product. A straight wax or sealant should NEVER be used or expected to create gloss. That again is what polishing does. This is why when using a glaze, your paint appears to be more shiny. It's because that glaze is HIDING enough paint damage to make your paint have more depth, which gives the illusion of more shine.

The longevity of a wax or sealant has many factors that play into the equation. To add to some of the ones that I mentioned about:
  • The elements that you car is exposed to, including the fallout
  • Whether or not your car is garaged or lives in a driveway.
  • The temperatures your car is exposed to.
  • The amount of washing your car sees, as well as the product you use to wash.
  • The way the product was applied. Improper application; using to much product, not allow the product to fully cure or dry (sealants), and applying a sealant on top of another product will definitely kill the longevity of a product.

Don't be fooled by manufactures claims of waxes and sealants lasting for YEARS. Unless you drive your car on a seasonal basis (3-4 months out of the year) and keep it garaged and covered, you are NOT going to get YEARS of protection with one application. Ain't gonna happen folks.