follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
DarkPhoenix
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2014 FR-S, 2021 Audi Q3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Moving to Chicago, looking for FR-S friendly dealer

Hi all! I'm currently living in the SF Bay Area, but my company is relocating me to Chicago. We've already got a place to live lined up (Uptown/Lake View), and the move is happening this week (oh my god it's really happening)!

I took my car for its last service here at the local dealer. I'm actually really bummed about leaving them because they've been wonderful. I've heard a lot of horror stories about dealers not really being FR-S friendly or knowledgeable and I was so lucky to have Hansel here who adored my car almost as much as I do.

As I have pre-paid maintenance for my car for a while, I'm hoping to find a decent dealer in the area I can take it to (and I'm not adverse to driving a bit to do so). I looked through and saw some Subaru recs but nothing for Toyota. Anyone have a dealer they love by any chance?

Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 09-12-2016 at 04:02 PM.
DarkPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Welcome!

As someone who moved from a much warmer climate (Scottsdale) to Chicago for a job, I'm sorry in advance. lol It's a really fun city, but the winter blows. You just have to make the best of it and go do some ice racing with us up in Wisconsin!

Uptown/Lakeview is a cool area. I'm just a little bit north of there in Evanston. Lots to do, so I'm sure you'll have fun.

As for dealers, whenever I do have dealer work I take it to Autonation Toyota in Libertyville, which is about 40min north of me, and probably an hour from where you'll be. Idk that I'd say they're really FR-S specific, but they do good work and seem pretty trustworthy. I've had my oil changes done there for ~50k miles, and never had any issues.

Welcome to the area! Join us on the Upper Midwest FR-S/BRZ/GT-86 Owners page on Facebook. I'm an admin, so you'll get added ASAP Lots of us get together for track days, autocross, and ice racing. We still do the occasional parking lot meet, but it seems like a lot of the core group has either gotten rid of their Toyobarus (I'm one of the last few admins with one lol) or are just really busy with life.

Also, if you're looking for any recommendations on great spots to eat, I've got plenty. haha
DarkPhoenix (09-15-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I've not taken my BRZ there, but my wife has had really good luck at Autonation Toyota as well, so I'll second that. I can't say how mod-friendly they are though so we'll have to trust that other guy...

I'm also in the city, though a bit further north... but still south of Evanston. The food (and beverage) is dangerous here, so many incredible options. Transit is good, hopefully you get to use that - and have a garage to park in... That can take a lot of the misery out of winter (unless you just don't like the cold)
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
DarkPhoenix (09-15-2016), Shark_Bait88 (09-14-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
DarkPhoenix
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2014 FR-S, 2021 Audi Q3
Thanks, all. I'll check out Autonation. I'm not mod heavy anyway but I just want to make sure they know how to handle an FR-S.

And I do have a garage! My husband has a Focus ST as well.

I'll sign up for the FB group
Old 09-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Best of luck with the move! Pack warm.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Bought my car used at Northbrook Toyota, not mod friendly though, at all.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
adjusts

Drives: Raven Black Scion FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Welcome! I am from the SF bay area as well, but I am currently in Champaign-Urbana (2 hours south of chicago) to finish my engineering degree. I brought my FRS here as well.

As far as maintenance goes, the dealers should treat you just fine here. I haven't had any issues, but that's just me.

Good luck!

Black (Raven) D4S Scion FRS (Sold)|| Black (CBP) FK8 Civic Type R || Black (BSM) F80 M3 Comp (Sold) || Black (Jet) E46 M3 || Laguna Seca Blue (LSB) E46 M3 (Sold) || Alpine White (AW) E92 M3 || Carrara White 997 GT3RS
adjusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
trvth

Drives: '15 Halo Scion FRS, 1999 Saturn SC2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusts View Post
Welcome! I am from the SF bay area as well, but I am currently in Champaign-Urbana (2 hours south of chicago) to finish my engineering degree. I brought my FRS here as well.

As far as maintenance goes, the dealers should treat you just fine here. I haven't had any issues, but that's just me.

Good luck!
Hey, I think I saw your black FR-S w/Cali plates parked on Mathews Ave last week. Greetings, fellow UI guy.
2015 Halo Scion FR-S 6MT new w/TRD exhaust, cold air intake, quick shifter, sway bars, lowering springs, & brake pads. Since then, TRD door braces, strut tower bar, & battery tie-down, Motul fluids in trans/diff & brakes, GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace, Stoptech stainless brakelines, OpenFlash Header 3 w/overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet on E85
trvth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
adjusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvth View Post
Hey, I think I saw your black FR-S w/Cali plates parked on Mathews Ave last week. Greetings, fellow UI guy.

are you at U of I as well?

Black (Raven) D4S Scion FRS (Sold)|| Black (CBP) FK8 Civic Type R || Black (BSM) F80 M3 Comp (Sold) || Black (Jet) E46 M3 || Laguna Seca Blue (LSB) E46 M3 (Sold) || Alpine White (AW) E92 M3 || Carrara White 997 GT3RS
Old 10-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #10
trvth

Drives: '15 Halo Scion FRS, 1999 Saturn SC2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusts View Post
are you at U of I as well?
I am ... I work at DCL for the Networking group at Technology Services. You can find my car parked in the staff lot at the corner of Springfield and Goodwin.
2015 Halo Scion FR-S 6MT new w/TRD exhaust, cold air intake, quick shifter, sway bars, lowering springs, & brake pads. Since then, TRD door braces, strut tower bar, & battery tie-down, Motul fluids in trans/diff & brakes, GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace, Stoptech stainless brakelines, OpenFlash Header 3 w/overpipe, OpenFlash Tablet on E85
trvth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #11
adjusts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvth View Post
I am ... I work at DCL for the Networking group at Technology Services. You can find my car parked in the staff lot at the corner of Springfield and Goodwin.
No way. Most of my classes are in the transportation building anyways, and I happen to do most of my work at EH, so I always park on Goodwin. Small world! Kudos to you guys for always keeping the tech services up and running.

The Following User Says Thank You to adjusts For This Useful Post:
trvth (10-17-2016)