follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #169
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
Fixed that for ya....

BTW, it's kinda gay to quote someone and change their words, dontchathink? But don't blame me...I had to do it just to show you how gay you are for doing it.

gay? yeah you would know all about that. Now you're just trying too hard
Go get your autism checked out, kid.
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #170
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty86 View Post

gay? yeah you would know all about that. Now you're just trying too hard
Go get your autism checked out, kid.
Running out of things to say? You just keep regurgitating the same old crap. Come on, Nancy....lets try to keep things original.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #171
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Quote:
Running out of things to say? You just keep regurgitating the same old crap. Come on, Nancy....lets try to keep things original.
Regurgitating "autism"? You go tell your doctors
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #172
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNS View Post
People here need to get a grip on reality. As good as the car is, it still has room to grow into a supercharger or turbocharger, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing such things as the first turbocharged BRZ making 210 whp, or even talk of turbo kits from the factory.
Every car can be improved upon. That is reality for any car. Maybe more or less depending on the car. Not too sure about the BRZ, but, I have heard fairly definitive rumors of a TRD supercharger in the R&D phase for the FR-S. People's appetite for power is insatiable so having performance mods available on a car do not necessarily translate into not having enough power on any given car. It is more of an indicator of everyone's greed for power without thought of the consequences to the car's balance. Most of this power being unusable except on a freeway on-ramp.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #173
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
Every car can be improved upon. That is reality for any car. Maybe more or less depending on the car. Not too sure about the BRZ, but, I have heard fairly definitive rumors of a TRD supercharger in the R&D phase for the FR-S. People's appetite for power is insatiable so having performance mods available on a car do not necessarily translate into not having enough power on any given car. It is more of an indicator of everyone's greed for power without thought of the consequences to the car's balance. Most of this power being unusable except on a freeway on-ramp.
Personally, I think the car would be perfect if they put a small factory turbocharger on it. That would be all it needs for some additional low-end torque. As it is now, the car lacks low-end grunt.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #174
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
yeah, you can expect only so much from a $25K car, but at least give buyers the option of a more powerful version. i'm sure a lot of us would be willing to shell out another $3K for a turbo version with 260hp-ish. sure owners can mod these cars via aftermarket FI, but why not capitalize on this market in the first place by selling a higher model factory FI version that will be under factory warranty?
Check this out:

http://www.imotortimes.com/articles/...ger-slated.htm
Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #175
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1cker View Post
I bought one for the chassis and light weight, but it is pretty slow.

Cars in the same price range that will kill you in a straight line:

WRX
MS3
GTI
Genesis Coupe
Focus ST
Lancer Ralliart
Camaro V6
Mustang V6

I'm scared of V6 sedans too

I drove a 95 miata for 6 years as a track car and DD so I'm used to having no power I guess
I am not scared of any of these cars. I don't street race. I don't need to measure myself against others to feel validated in my purchase. I love walking up to my car in anticipation of the fun I am about to have every time I drive my FR-S.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #176
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
I am not scared of any of these cars. I don't street race. I don't need to measure myself against others to feel validated in my purchase. I love walking up to my car in anticipation of the fun I am about to have every time I drive my FR-S.
Exactly. Anyone who buys these cars for their acceleration as compared to other sporty cars is bound to be disappointed. That's not what these cars are all about.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #177
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSowner View Post
Standards change. Today, you have brands like Volvo and Cadillac that used to be considered 'old peoples' cars that make sporty models that can rip off a sub-7 second 0-60 time easily and top out at 150+mph. The truly affordable fast cars can do 0-60 in 5 - 6 seconds and burn the tires to the rims.
Then you have the FR-S/BRZ which looks like it should be able do these things, but cannot.
Still, it's a great package at this price point. But, most folks want it all and don't want to have to pay for it.
It's like the people that always bitch about how things are "...not built as good as they were in the old days...". Well things are, you just don't find quality stuff at Wal-Mart (which is where those types of people shop).
You want it all? Pay the price and STFU.

Plus, if the FR-S/BRZ did have another 100 hp or so, then reviewers and other people would be bitching about how much noise it makes or the poor fuel economy, etc. There's always going to be some weak point that will get exploited. I had a guy at work criticizing my car because the back seats were useless and he wouldn't buy one because of that. I told him to buy a school bus and then he would have plenty of back seat room. I also told him to STFU.
i hear ya,but he does have a point! it's a very good thing my wife is small,and also,my daughter, so the back seat IS useable for me,however,truthfully,for any trip longer than 10 miles or so,for even a "small" person,sitting in the back seat gets real old,real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kire View Post
yeah, you can expect only so much from a $25K car, but at least give buyers the option of a more powerful version. i'm sure a lot of us would be willing to shell out another $3K for a turbo version with 260hp-ish. sure owners can mod these cars via aftermarket FI, but why not capitalize on this market in the first place by selling a higher model factory FI version that will be under factory warranty?
not me! car has plenty of ''balls" for me,and still gets decent gas mileage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
Well really if Toyota/Subaru designed it right they shouldn't have an issue with fuel economy changing much, I mean if Ford can put a 305hp V6 in a less aerodynamic car that weighs about 700 pounds more and still get 29mpg highway then there's reason Toyota/Subaru shouldn't be able to still get 29-30 with a 260hp+ turbo model, though honestly the current fuel economy for the manual is pretty poor given the size/weight/aerodynamics of the car and the power of the engine.

Either way though Toyota/Subaru really should of went a little more aggressive with NA tuning on the 86 and got it into the 225-230hp range, even that relatively small jump would make a very noticeable difference in performance in such a light car and there would probably be a lot less complaints about it being underpowered.
don't like the mileage? get the ''slush box" then! you can still have fun,and economize too! as far as more power? ehhhh! so what! just gonna cost more to maintain over time,and in my view,it's not necessary,car has plenty of "grunt" now!..just sayin'
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #178
Demandred7

Quote:
Exactly. Anyone who buys these cars for their acceleration as compared to other sporty cars is bound to be disappointed. That's not what these cars are all about.
I measure myself against the last time that I took a set of twisties - how can I better take that corner? This car is an excellent teacher of good driving techniques. It rewards in spades when you get it right and makes you yawn when you don't.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #179
Cjm005

Drives: 2013 FRS
Those who think the Boss 302 can't handle with a solid rear axle need to spend ten minutes on the interweb. The car was built to out handle the M3 and easily surpassed that benchmark. It has a faster lap time at Laguna Seca than the older R8 and GTR.

Most of the comparisons here are apples to oranges. I own both cars and can appreciate both. The FR-S is a go kart, fun to drive and cool looking. You could spend ten thousand making it fast as a stock Mustang but why?

Now the z06..... My dream car!
Cjm005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #180
kombatlion
Life to short to be slow!

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Well in my opinion I came out of a 2002 VW GTI Turbo with Mods was about 267whp, I spend around 5K to get there. I will spend 5K and will be there with this car also, but not until warranty expires. Then I go all out and turbo kit is going in...

Agree the car is kind of slow now.
kombatlion is offline   Reply With Quote