follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #2213
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I was just looking at my calendar and it looks like I won't be installing for a bit as next week I will be leaving on a road trip to see some good friends of mine get hitched in Florida. It looks like maybe the 10th might be when I get them installed.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #2214
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Hey guys, I have a minor question. Since installing the SPD coilovers I've noticed the rear suspension has a creaking noise when going over larger bumps. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's a simple fix.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #2215
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmpena View Post
Hey guys, I have a minor question. Since installing the SPD coilovers I've noticed the rear suspension has a creaking noise when going over larger bumps. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's a simple fix.
Those don't use stock tops correct? The only thing I can think of is re-torquing the tops since you've driven on them some just to make sure they're tight. My V3's don't make any noise at all, but I'm using all 4 stock tops minus the rubber inserts on the rear. Could also just be the added noise from the tops.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #2216
Scottemad123

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
I had a serious case of swampass installing suspension last weekend. Just thought I would share that important information.

The suspension exceeded expectations.
How is the height did you readjust? Mainly asking as I'm not going to go super low as I just want a slight drop when I pull the trigger on the v3's and plus my daily drive is almost scrape city as it is.
Scottemad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #2217
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottemad123 View Post
How is the height did you readjust? Mainly asking as I'm not going to go super low as I just want a slight drop when I pull the trigger on the v3's and plus my daily drive is almost scrape city as it is.
They're low out of the box. Almost on the last threads in front. I had to raise the rear as my tires were tucked under the fender even lower than the front. You'll want to raise them up out of the box if you don't want it low. I have no wheel gap anymore and my ride is way better than it was. I'm letting the coils settle some before adjusting the rebound/compression.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
Scottemad123 (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 01:34 PM   #2218
DTS

Drives: PBP 2014 STi Hatch; 2013 Crosstrek;
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
They're low out of the box. Almost on the last threads in front. I had to raise the rear as my tires were tucked under the fender even lower than the front. You'll want to raise them up out of the box if you don't want it low. I have no wheel gap anymore and my ride is way better than it was. I'm letting the coils settle some before adjusting the rebound/compression.
That is a smart thing to do. How do they feel on the streets btw? This has nothing to do with saying what is better but after hearing so much about comfort I always thought the eibach coilovers were better for U.S. streets.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #2219
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
That is a smart thing to do. How do they feel on the streets btw? This has nothing to do with saying what is better but after hearing so much about comfort I always thought the eibach coilovers were better for U.S. streets.
They feel pretty nice on the street. Definitely still a coilover, but the ride isn't near as harsh since the damping seems to be a lot better than just height adjustable only coils. I'll give more feedback in the coming weeks as they settle a bit more and I have the ability to adjust them some. So far, I am very happy. Coilovers are something you definitely can't cheap out on. To get a coilover around the $1000 mark, something had to be sacrificed that the more expensive ones have, and its definitely when the rebound and compression come into play. KW's settings out of the box are pretty optimal, no lie. I may try a click softer all around just to see if the street ride improves further, but I don't want to ruin my cornering power either.

After alignment, I reached -2 camber up front with 0 toe and -1.3, -1.5 in the rear, slight toe in. Hit up Jerry's wheel alignment in Pflugerville if you want a great alignment. John knows his stuff.

SPD coilovers are probably even more daily driver friendly than mine. I'd have to ride in @ericmpena's car to really feel the difference. The V3's still have a track\street focus while the SPD's have a straight street focus. I went with the V3's because of a long reputation and many other recommendations about them. By no means are the V3's not a street, DD type of coilover though. The adjustments let you make them daily friendly, or track friendly.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #2220
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
They feel pretty nice on the street. Definitely still a coilover, but the ride isn't near as harsh since the damping seems to be a lot better than just height adjustable only coils. I'll give more feedback in the coming weeks as they settle a bit more and I have the ability to adjust them some. So far, I am very happy. Coilovers are something you definitely can't cheap out on. To get a coilover around the $1000 mark, something had to be sacrificed that the more expensive ones have, and its definitely when the rebound and compression come into play. KW's settings out of the box are pretty optimal, no lie. I may try a click softer all around just to see if the street ride improves further, but I don't want to ruin my cornering power either.

After alignment, I reached -2 camber up front with 0 toe and -1.3, -1.5 in the rear, slight toe in. Hit up Jerry's wheel alignment in Pflugerville if you want a great alignment. John knows his stuff.

SPD coilovers are probably even more daily driver friendly than mine. I'd have to ride in @ericmpena's car to really feel the difference. The V3's still have a track\street focus while the SPD's have a straight street focus. I went with the V3's because of a long reputation and many other recommendations about them. By no means are the V3's not a street, DD type of coilover though. The adjustments let you make them daily friendly, or track friendly.
1) how much does Jerry's charge for alignment?

2) Consensus seems to be if you're looking to spend around $1k you're better off with shocks and springs. I went with Koni yellows (adjustable dampening) and rce tarmac springs for an autocross/track focus that is daily drivable. I am not in a position to drop $2-3k on a single upgrade like coil overs. At least not if I want to reach a decent enough build to be competitive in my class this season. I still need wheels/tires after all!

That is my $0.02.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #2221
psk

Drives: scion fr-s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
i'm still patientaly waiting for more catted UELs to hit the market. i'm so tempted to pull the trigger on FT86speed's... hopefully this causes for competition to start churning their own versions.
psk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psk For This Useful Post:
Turkish (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #2222
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
1) how much does Jerry's charge for alignment?

2) Consensus seems to be if you're looking to spend around $1k you're better off with shocks and springs. I went with Koni yellows (adjustable dampening) and rce tarmac springs for an autocross/track focus that is daily drivable. I am not in a position to drop $2-3k on a single upgrade like coil overs. At least not if I want to reach a decent enough build to be competitive in my class this season. I still need wheels/tires after all!

That is my $0.02.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Pretty sure Jerry charges $50 for alignment.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #2223
Yellow13

Drives: 2013 6MT Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Hey guys,

I mean to ask. Who all is going to the twisted sisters run this saturday (29th)? Just wondering if anyone else up here in austin is going and if we are planning on getting a group together and heading down there at the same time.

Let me know dudes. I could always organize a group even though I have not been down there before, but im sure I can manage lol
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #2224
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nevermind, found them!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #2225
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow13 View Post
Hey guys,

I mean to ask. Who all is going to the twisted sisters run this saturday (29th)? Just wondering if anyone else up here in austin is going and if we are planning on getting a group together and heading down there at the same time.

Let me know dudes. I could always organize a group even though I have not been down there before, but im sure I can manage lol
I was gonna go, but then I have a conference this weekend

Does anyone know any good shops in the RR, Pflugerville, N. Austin area that can do alarm installs? I'm looking at getting a LoJack or some sort of tracking device but don't know of any shops.
Jyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #2226
ericmpena

Garage
Quote:
It would be awesome to get your feedback on the SPD coilovers. You are obviously very educated and experienced with different brands. Personally it's a night and day difference from my old Sportlines. I forgot what the car felt like stock, but the past week I've been driving a Volvo S60, so when I get my BRZ back I'll definitely notice how the ride quality compares with an extremely smooth riding Volvo.