follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #1219
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Just picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Noticed right away that the ride was much smoother and quieter than the OEM Prius tires it came with. All the very slight vibrations in the steering wheel are gone but I can still get feedback from the road. The grip is much better and feels more predictable. These had good reviews on wet roads which I why I got them. So far they feel almost as grippy on a wet road as the old Prius tires felt on dry roads. A much needed upgrade if you are going to run a supercharger. I noticed that with these new tires, the car is much more nimble. It has a quicker turn in when hitting a curve. At first I had a tendency to over steer. But after getting used to it, it makes the car feel even lighter.

I also fixed a small fuel leak that I just discovered. Back when I upgraded the fuel pump, the sleeve gasket that wraps around the fuel basket must have gotten folded and I didn't realize it. When I tightened the fuel pump ring, it pinched the gasket and eventually put a small tear in it. I smelled gas one day after filling up the tank and noticed a few drops on the ground. Ordered a new gasket and a fuel tank spanner wrench to make the job easier. They recommend about 62 ft/lb of torque on the fuel pump ring and it's impossible to get it right by using a hammer and chisel like most people recommend. Found an adjustable spanner wrench for $20 and it worked and allowed me to get the torque right.

So with the ever so slight tear in my fuel pump gasket and the previous problem I had with my brake hose slipping off, I think I have fixed the EVAP leaks on this car. I don't smell gas in the slightest now and I filled up yesterday to be sure I still wasn't leaking.

Still no problems out of the supercharger. Feels better than OEM. No rev hang when shifting, idles completely smooth when the A/C is off. The idle still surges a little when the A/C cycles but that's probably to be expected with a 2.0L engine. Thanks @Matt@Cosworth for helping me sort through the EVAP problems. You put together an amazing kit. Now I find myself in a conundrum. Do I drive it and enjoy it or do I put it up in a garage, knowing how rare a Cosworth BRZ is going to be?
Good up date!
I was planning on getting the PS4S next year some time as well! I hope they are worth the insane price

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #1220
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Good up date!
I was planning on getting the PS4S next year some time as well! I hope they are worth the insane price
The price wasn't that bad. It was about $800 including mounting and balancing from Discount Tire. Maybe prices vary per region as I've seen some reviews state they spent $1500 for a set of 4.

As for the tire, I couldn't be happier. The ride quality is amazing. It's totally silent on the road but still gives meaningful feedback to the steering wheel. I took the BRZ to an empty parking lot to do some doughnuts and was amazed at how well these break traction when desired. I punched it in 2nd gear and it just broke free as smooth as can be. Then when I let off the gas it locked back to the road perfectly and without tail spin. A perfect 360. These tires turn in aggressively. It took me a little while to get used to them as I tended to turn into corners too fast. But once I got used to it, they require much less effort when entering turns. It makes the car feel much more nimble and light on it's feet. This is the closest to driving a motorcycle as any car I've ever driven.

On dry roads I can still break traction but now I have to really mean to. 1st gear still breaks easily just by punching it. 2nd now needs a little encouragement. Let the revs hang a bit and then drop it into gear and it will spin in 2nd but not for long. The acceleration is amazing. When not hooning around and just driving casually on the interstate, they ride very quiet. I can make lane changes at 70mph the same as if it were at 30mph. It's instant and secure... I don't feel all the little groves in the pavement through the steering wheel. That part is dampened quite well. There is no road hum at all.

On wet roads I have yet to hydroplane. Driving at 60 during a heavy downpour and I noticed no drifting or wheel jerking when hitting puddles. I only have a week on these tires but so far am loving them. They handle the output of the Cosworth quite well. Best tires on the market. Best supercharger on the market and best affordable sports car on the market. Put them all together and you have a true sleeper.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
eMCee (10-15-2018), Greacemonkey (10-15-2018), weederr33 (10-14-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #1221
Voodoo Rufus
The Ruthless

Drives: 2015 STI Launch Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So what's going on with Cosworth? Are they stopping aftermarket parts production, or just to the US? Can't find Cossy engine internals now as far as I can tell.
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #1222
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
So what's going on with Cosworth? Are they stopping aftermarket parts production, or just to the US? Can't find Cossy engine internals now as far as I can tell.
They pulled out of the aftermarket for now to focus on other projects. Probably proper racing technology which will yield them much more for them.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #1223
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
we still have 6 kits left and will happily sell to anyone, anywhere

just PM me if you want one £3750 + shipping

plus we now finally have a webstore

https://store.cosworth.com/

Last edited by Matt@Cosworth; 10-18-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-25-2018), Voodoo Rufus (10-18-2018), weederr33 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #1224
Voodoo Rufus
The Ruthless

Drives: 2015 STI Launch Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
we still have 6 kits left and will happily sell to anyone, anywhere

just PM me if you want one £3750 + shipping

plus we now finally have a webstore

https://store.cosworth.com/
Makes me want to get a BRZ just to get a Cossy charger. But then, I still live in CA and smog is a thing....
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #1225
eMCee

Drives: GT86
Hi guys,

Some prep before the installation was done yesterday

All neatly packed (I'm suprised once more how much you can pack in this trunk)

I've also visit a dyno to get the "before" graph, but I'm not sure about the results.
It was something about 220HP, 215NM.
Can't remember the precise number, but I'll post the pic of it for You guys to check it. The guy was dyno'ing on 5th gear and said it was at the weels (sounds like "at the crank" numbers to me). It was around 10 oC (50F) outside.
Or maybe the the dyno was hp-happy :P
eMCee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eMCee For This Useful Post:
gtengr (10-25-2018), Seba (10-26-2018), weederr33 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #1226
sly

Just wanted to throw some pictures out there. A few weeks now with the new tires and the BRZ is running very smooth. It idles so well that sometimes I can't feel the engine at all. The smaller pulley was a good investment. It really made the supercharger come alive. Now that we are getting some cold weather, it's been good to see how the tune does when it's down near freezing. So far no issues at all. Cold starts are smooth and there are no engine dips when accelerating. I think for my last project I'll look at installing a catch can. Probably need it with forced induction. Don't have any real complaints. So have some nice pictures...
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-25-2018), eMCee (10-26-2018), gtengr (10-25-2018), Lantanafrs2 (10-25-2018), Seba (10-26-2018), weederr33 (11-04-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #1227
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hello all

just to put this out there on the offchance someone fancies importing it but our dev car is up for sale
here

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/a...7-a97e00bf8bbc
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #1228
eMCee

Drives: GT86
Hi guys,

Situation update after the supercharger installation.
First 400km (~250miles) done quite gently. I want to take some time for the ECU and all the machanical parts to settle in, and go through a few heat cycles.

My initial impressions: Sweet Jesus Mother Mary, this thing shifts !!!
I was expecting some performance, but nothing like that Overtaking on the highway is now a breeze, even at 6tg gear. On wet roads @ 3/4 throttle breaks traction in 3rd gear (stock michelin's). I'm laughing like crazy everytime I hit the throttle.
Later i discovered that i was in the Map1 (95ron) Slight supercharger whine is noticeable which only adds to the experience

Short summary: money very well spent, I'm greatly satisfied.
Too soon for me to tell if the overall balance of the car is still maintained. I need to show it some corners for comparison before and after the mod.

Many thanks @Matt@Cosworth for the constant support.

Also as predicted by reading a few threads here on the forum, a few supported mods are on my list now, mainly brakes update (rotors, pads) and tires + wheels.
I'm running now 5W40 engine oil, and with low-temp thermostat it keeps the oil temp at around 90-100 C (195-210F), coolant temps are at around 78-90C (172-194F). Will have to wait until summer and check if the oil cooler is needed.

Few pics after the install will come soon.
eMCee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eMCee For This Useful Post:
gtengr (10-27-2018), Lantanafrs2 (11-03-2018), Seba (10-27-2018), sly (10-27-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 05:33 PM   #1229
pjp

Drives: frs
torque specs

Getting ready to in stall the supper charger
and trying to find all the torque specs need to do the job
not on the install sheets ?
pjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:42 AM   #1230
sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Getting ready to in stall the supper charger
and trying to find all the torque specs need to do the job
not on the install sheets ?
Before you loosen a nut, put a mark on it to show where it was originally tightened to. Now loosen the nut. Re-tighten the nut with a torque wrench until it lines up with the mark you made and record the torque it took to get there. That is the torque you need. Repeat for the other nuts and bolts.

[edit] I also wanted to add, be sure to tighten the intake manifold bolts in stages. If it takes 60 ft/lb to tighten fully, tighten them in at least 3 stages. Start by tightening them hand tight. Then, go about 20 ft/lb. Then 40 ft/lb and then 60. You want the manifold to be evenly tightened and completely flush with the block so that the gasket compresses evenly without leaks.
Attached Images

Last edited by sly; 11-04-2018 at 10:24 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
Cosworth_0686 (05-24-2019), sroby (06-08-2019)
Old 11-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #1231
pjp

Drives: frs
torque specs

That could work but there must be a page of torque specs.
pjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #1232
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hello folks, I started installing the supercharger yesterday and am nearly finished. I was wondering if you all capped those throttle body coolant pipes remaining on the engine or connected them with a hose? I'm having trouble sourcing silicon plug caps and think connecting them with a hose would be better than a cheap rubber vacuum cap from the parts store. I'm referring to the coolant stubs that feed the throttle body, not the stubs on the throttle body.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote