follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
Chimera

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Fixing up an Acura RSX

recently..ish.. came to acquire an 06 Acura RSX type S with what I think are not the greatest mods. Anyone with experience with Honda's I'd appreciate some input. For example what's the upper intake pipe referred to?

This car is very sluggish in responsiveness and I think its the intake. I need to get in and look again, but I'm not even sure I know where the air temp sensor is. (I hope its still in there somewhere..)

Please forgive my lower quality pictures.
Attached Images

Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
nice hot air intake.
spectre? looks like a pepboys special.

yes, you need a hose for the breather. It makes a small amount of vacuum to get rid of fumes and whatnot.

Does it have the famous 3rd gear grind? snycromesh fluid helps a lot. Use at your own risk.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
shiro (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
Chimera

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
nice hot air intake.
spectre? looks like a pepboys special.

yes, you need a hose for the breather. It makes a small amount of vacuum to get rid of fumes and whatnot.

Does it have the famous 3rd gear grind? snycromesh fluid helps a lot. Use at your own risk.
It does!
Old 03-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
PhantomX
INTJ

Drives: 2017 86 860
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a K20 Type R. That looks like a hack job. I have a tube connecting to the intake. The positioning on that filter is rather interesting. I have mine in a somewhat similar spot, but yours is farther out than mine. I'd suggest replacing the whole thing with one that comes with a heatshield.

Here's mine before I put a heatshield on.

As for the 3rd gear grind, that's common in all Honda transmissions. Synchromesh fluid is a band-aid. Best thing to really do is have replacement synchros ready. OEMs will just give you the same trouble over time, so I went with titanium synchros, but they're pricey.
PhantomX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomX For This Useful Post:
shiro (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
shiro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2014 Lexus IS350
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Never thought I'd see this thread on the FT86 forum. Kind of funny because I am thinking of buying an Acura RSX (type-s if possible) for my beat around car. I just sold my 2010 Camry to my Pops since I bought a Lexus...but I prefer not to drive the lexus every day...

Not to thread jack but would you guys recommend an Acura RSX for a side fun/daily car? Or should I be looking for a 240sx, lancer, wrx, etc. Kind of want to stay around the 5K range and the Acura seems the most reliable with a fun sporty feel.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Chimera

Its a more active forum than the rsx one seems to be.

TBH my friends WRX is more fun to drive than my RSX is at the moment, but I think it needs some attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
Never thought I'd see this thread on the FT86 forum. Kind of funny because I am thinking of buying an Acura RSX (type-s if possible) for my beat around car. I just sold my 2010 Camry to my Pops since I bought a Lexus...but I prefer not to drive the lexus every day...

Not to thread jack but would you guys recommend an Acura RSX for a side fun/daily car? Or should I be looking for a 240sx, lancer, wrx, etc. Kind of want to stay around the 5K range and the Acura seems the most reliable with a fun sporty feel.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiro View Post
Not to thread jack but would you guys recommend an Acura RSX for a side fun/daily car?

Yes and yes. It has a surprisingly smooth ride, yet handles quite well. Pair that along with FWD and you have a very practical and fun DD. The interior is quite nice too if you care about things like that. The K20Zs make decent power and, just like the FA20, you can rev the hell out of the motor. Hondas are very easy to work on and quality parts can be found for very cheap in terms of maintenance.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
I have a K20 Type R. That looks like a hack job. I have a tube connecting to the intake. The positioning on that filter is rather interesting. I have mine in a somewhat similar spot, but yours is farther out than mine. I'd suggest replacing the whole thing with one that comes with a heatshield.

Here's mine before I put a heatshield on.

As for the 3rd gear grind, that's common in all Honda transmissions. Synchromesh fluid is a band-aid. Best thing to really do is have replacement synchros ready. OEMs will just give you the same trouble over time, so I went with titanium synchros, but they're pricey.
Damn nice sleeper. Miss my k20z1 teggy that thing was a beast. Also not all Honda tranny had 3rd gear problem it was fix since since 2010
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
recently..ish.. came to acquire an 06 Acura RSX type S with what I think are not the greatest mods. Anyone with experience with Honda's I'd appreciate some input. For example what's the upper intake pipe referred to?

This car is very sluggish in responsiveness and I think its the intake. I need to get in and look again, but I'm not even sure I know where the air temp sensor is. (I hope its still in there somewhere..)

Please forgive my lower quality pictures.
Ya something wrong you have an 06 rsx s, that's was one of the more powerful k20 that loved to bust flames
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote