follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #141
_hollywood

Drives: 97 itr sold
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyv90 View Post
go fan boi somewhere else. Wtf is wrong with you. Toyota MADE good cars, they haven't come up with anything until now. You cant talk all high and mighty about toyota who hasn't had anything good since the 90s.

Lexus LFA

Lexus ISF

Not 90's cars....

I guess hyundai deserves a chance yes, but its hard for my to forget their reputation, no hate not a fan boi either.....

Take it easy guy :happy0180:
FR-S #56 of 86 Raven MT ***FOR SALE***
_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #142
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _hollywood View Post
Lexus LFA

Lexus ISF

Not 90's cars....

I guess hyundai deserves a chance yes, but its hard for my to forget their reputation, no hate not a fan boi either.....

Take it easy guy :happy0180:
not under toyota. I want a example of a toyota car. Although i am aware that lexus and toyota = same company however they have different designers of cars and such.
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #143
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Quote:
not under toyota. I want a example of a toyota car. Although i am aware that lexus and toyota = same company however they have different designers of cars and such.
Lexus cars are branded Toyota in Japan. It's nothing more than a brand differentiation for the US so they have an upscale versus regular auto car dealer. With Scion the lower end brand. The designers really are the same people as these are sourced from their domestic brands.

The Celica & MRS weren't half bad cars for what they were. The motor they made for them is a phenomenal piece that is even used in Lotus. Further the Tc has been a very successful sporty coupe in the states as a tuner car.

(none of the above are my type of sports car, but I respect them for the niche they filled)
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #144
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Lexus cars are branded Toyota in Japan. It's nothing more than a brand differentiation for the US so they have an upscale versus regular auto car dealer. With Scion the lower end brand. The designers really are the same people as these are sourced from their domestic brands.

The Celica & MRS weren't half bad cars for what they were. The motor they made for them is a phenomenal piece that is even used in Lotus. Further the Tc has been a very successful sporty coupe in the states as a tuner car.

(none of the above are my type of sports car, but I respect them for the niche they filled)

uhhhhh not since about 6 years ago.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #145
Lasse

Drives: Avensis 2.2 diesel
Quote:

Those are great cars.
Lasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #146
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

It was only phenomenal to me in the Lotus because the Lotus has a better curb weight for the engine than the Toyota's did. 190hp/133 tq is great when its paired to 1950 lbs instead of just ok in 2500 lbs.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #147
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
It was only phenomenal to me in the Lotus because the Lotus has a better curb weight for the engine than the Toyota's did. 190hp/133 tq is great when its paired to 1950 lbs instead of just ok in 2500 lbs.
Well, you gotta respect the amount of power they eeked out of such a tiny unit. I hear boltons increase it quite a bit too.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #148
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Well, you gotta respect the amount of power they eeked out of such a tiny unit. I hear boltons increase it quite a bit too.
same can be said for a number of Honda engines.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #149
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
thats cool for the hella flush crew haha, I dont see most people using them.
i don't see most people using them either but it's not just for the hella flush crew. if lap times are literally all you care about then the ideal would be to push as much power as possible in this car with as much rubber as possible in the wheel wells. this is the whole concept behind wide body kits, despite increasing drag by making a wider front profile, they benefit grip by being able to put wider tires on the car. being able to put wider tires on the car without requiring a wide body kit or over fenders is definitely a bonus for track people.

also, just because the guy recognizes that toyota has a lot more sports car and motorsports history than hyundai doesn't make him a fan boi. hyundai is doing a good job of catching up with the current gen coupe technology wise, but still has 2 decades worth of catching up as far as motorsports legacy and history.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #150
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
wide tires do not translate into 100% laptime improvement on a full blown racetrack

and for autocross people the width of the OEM wheel is more important than anything else, if they make the OEM wheel 8.5 or 9" wide for a car this size it would absolutely decimate the competition because some creative people will fin ways to stuff a 305 tire on it :/

however, the best thing about the BRZ is that they are leaving room for people to do a lot of different things depending on their goals and subsequent mods.

215-225 for a car this class is very good
Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #151
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
oem wheel is 7" for this car. very well documented that they didn't want to depend on fat rubber for this car to handle well and so they decided to go with "prius tires."

and yes, wider tires don't always translate into laptime improvement, you have to look at the car as a whole and adjust everything accordingly. but wider bodies and wider wheels/tires are a standard modification in GT racing for a reason.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #152
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was thinking about going with 18'' wheels over 17'' wheels but found that even if I got lightweight 18''s the tires would be heavier therefore offsetting the weight plus the 18'' tires at Discount tire is 2x more expensive than the 17'' tires. I will do 17x7.5 all around instead.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #153
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
i don't see most people using them either but it's not just for the hella flush crew. if lap times are literally all you care about then the ideal would be to push as much power as possible in this car with as much rubber as possible in the wheel wells. this is the whole concept behind wide body kits, despite increasing drag by making a wider front profile, they benefit grip by being able to put wider tires on the car. being able to put wider tires on the car without requiring a wide body kit or over fenders is definitely a bonus for track people.

also, just because the guy recognizes that toyota has a lot more sports car and motorsports history than hyundai doesn't make him a fan boi. hyundai is doing a good job of catching up with the current gen coupe technology wise, but still has 2 decades worth of catching up as far as motorsports legacy and history.
if you discredit hyundai because of history that is being a fan boy. You are bringing up history because you like Toyota and what Toyota used to do the same way you like a football team. If you honestly compare both cars and like the fr-s more, then that is fine. Instead of doing that, comparing price,specs,hp,weight and such, the poster instead brought up Toyota's history over Hyundai when talking about the new gc. How does the history of the company matter when comparing two brand new cars, it doesn't. The same way comparing the 98 Cardinals to the Arizona Cardinals of today is irrelevant and stupid.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #154
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Quote:

I do enjoy the tc and it is a cool tuner car, but they are just okay in the same vain that the new honda civic si is a okay tuner car. None of them are amazing though. Which is a big difference, and what we were originally debating on in the first place. the FR-S will be the only amazing thing toyota has released in a long time.