follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
Binary_fission

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Arrow Binary - FRS Project

As time goes ill update - edit this post. Just ganna start it off while i have time.

Quote:
Here it is, as soon as i picked up this car from the dealer, i knew it was going to be a fun to drive car, driving home in it was so comfortable and fun i
couldnt explain, before FRS, i used to drive G37s coupe (man that thing had power) but it wasnt as fun driving it as FRS. So first thing i did when i got
the car, took it to the canyons, nothing crazy just cruised thru, was gettin used to the car, the handling and the manual transmissio, which i havent used
for about 8 years. FRS was easy to learn and pretty much i cheated, this car is so easy to learn because of the balance of handling and reliability, places
where i made mistake the car helped me get back on track and continue, this is a cheat car and i cant complain because im still learning how to drive (drive fast).
to be continued....

List of Mods:

Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust
Jackson Racing Supercharger - active - Delicious Tune
Tomei UEL Header - active
Tanabe Overpipe - active
HKS High Power Spec L Catback Exhaust - active
HKS Front pipe - active
Whiteline Positive Shift Kit Gearbox Bushing - active

Transmission:
The Driveshaft Shop Aluminum 1-Piece Driveshaft - active

Suspension/Chassis:
BC Racing BR Type Coilovers - active
AEM Strut Bar - active

Need Feedback on these items:Please Let me know what u think
ACT Xtreme Street Clutch Kit w/ Prolite Flywheel - feedback needed
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch & Flywheel Kit - Feedback needed
Perrin/BuddyClub/Cusco/NST Lightweight Pulley Kits - (future mod, need feedback)
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator /w Slim fans - (future mod, need feedback)
Cusco Differential Support Brace - (future mod, need feedback)
Cusco Transmission Mount Collar - (future mod, need feedback)

For Sale:
Stock Suspension set - $400 (800 miles on them)
Stock Driveshaft - $100 (10,000 Miles)
Stock Axle back exhaust - $50 (2,000 Miles)

k its too late now going to sleep, will update rest later.

Last edited by Binary_fission; 02-26-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: #becauseracecar
Binary_fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
Binary_fission

Garage
FRS Pictures

Last edited by Binary_fission; 02-26-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Flicker Uploads
The Following User Says Thank You to Binary_fission For This Useful Post:
swarb (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
Binary_fission

Garage
Here's recent update.
Was able to purchase Jackson Racing supercharger kit w/ engline oil cooler. Installed it myself with a help of a friend. Total install took us 2 days, Day 1 we put supercharger together, Day 2 we put whole car back together.
Install was easy except 3 things:
First we got stuck on, Mounting of inter-cooler and oil coolers bracket (we put the brackets wrong way) so we were struggling trying to figure it out why hole were matching up but bolts were long enough to screw em in, plus had gaps. anyways pay close attention how you put on those brakets.
Second we messed up with MAF sensor. we put the MAF sensor the right way but the tube was placed wrong way, so car wouldnt start until one of the guys from this forums mentioned about maf sensor being placed wrong way. Thanks btw for the tips who ever it was.
Third was EcuTek, kept saying i had 0 licenses, so was unable to map the ecu, until figured it out on my own. You have to update license in Tools menu/section. When you do that, you should have 1 license available. Hope that helps.

Conclusion. Already broke it in, i believe someone mentioned it was 100miles before you can smash. Took the car to Angelest Crest last night, still didnt push it hard enough but had plenty of fun. Max rpm i hit was around 6k, Oil temps were about 180F*/190* (i believe because it was super cold last night).
I feel like after 3k rpm, car pulls itself in without even trying to add more gas and if you do, it pulls stronger. So far love the kit, love the car even more, handling still there but power is stupid, trying to relearn the car and get used to the new power/torque.
Oooooh and let me tell you about the sound, god that suction/whine sound is pretty sexy not ganna lie, i think i had few giggles when i downshifted. with the exhaust set up i has, the car sounds sexy from the inside, havent really heard the car from outside but im pretty sure its impressive. Anyways ganna leave it at that.

For the next mod plan is to get one piece driveshaft, aftermarket hood, and downgrade or get extra set of wheels in 17s (weight reduction bruh) I love the way 18s look but those weds gotta go, If anyone interested in those weds sports SA72R 18x9.5 +45, either will trade for rpf1 or cash, hit me up.

Last edited by Binary_fission; 12-28-2015 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Added ECUTEK info
The Following User Says Thank You to Binary_fission For This Useful Post:
swarb (12-16-2015)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 AM   #4
Binary_fission

Garage
Quick update.

MPG Difference
Current MPG: 23.5
Previous MPG: 26.7

This is difference between supercharged and none, on manual FRS. Mostly daily driving through streets, rare on freeway, and once a week a canyon run.
Id say for me 3mpg is not a big loss, even with a supercharger flying thro canyons with full tank, I go down only to half a tank. The power output is worth of that mpg loss.

Supercharger Issues:
This happened second time, both on canyon runs. When i pushed the car at 7k RPM, the throttle body hose tend to slip out. First time that happened wasnt bad, i heard wierd noise under the hood, and funny burning smell. Pulled over and we noticed that hose slipped and made contact with Rotrex pulley, likely it made contact with the hose metal clamp. We adjusted the hose and i drove slow to make it home, stopped by pep boys and bought another clamp, thought that fixed the issue until today, pushed the car hard again and same thing happened, except this time the hose came out all the way and made a hole in a hose this time. So far bought duct tape and it seem to be working untill i get another part from jacksons. I think i might be doing something wrong, ganna talk to them and maybe few install shops to see how to avoid this ever happening again.

New Wheels and Tires:
Gramlights 57c6 - 18x9.5 +40
Tires - Federal 595SS 255/35/18

Love the wheels, look much simpler than WedsSports I had, but they do give car nice look thats for sure. As for tires, i think i made a mistake ordering SS instead of RSR. Since i was told RSR dont last long and my car is daily, i wanted something in between. But SS is very slippery on hard cornering, the only way to ride on this tires on canyons is with traction control ON. TC kept blinking thro every corner, but it looks like they are very predictable, maybe the balance of the car make this set up being able to handle and control the car while sliding. So they are perfect drift tires Id say. Lets see how long they last, but i shouldnt really complain because for the price ($450) a set is winning!

Rest will post soon....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Binary_fission For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (12-28-2015), swarb (12-28-2015)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #5
Binary_fission

Garage
Thumbs up Updates

Recent Problems
First it was my HKS front pipe got cracked, took it to Mikes Muffler shop, quick and easy fix.
Second, somehow i managed to loose a bolt from over pipe. replaced it with new.
Third, Bc Racing BR coilovers started clunking/knocking. I dont have pictures how i fixed it but you just follow this video and all you have to do is tighten the top bolt, it shows in the video how to do it.

Recent Mods
Driveshaft Shop 1 Piece Aluminum - Bought this mod recently and installed it already. Let me tell you this, if you live in LA and you drive a manual, get this mod you will not regret it.
On low speeds, specially first and second gears the car feels much smoother, no more jerks, no wierd clunky noises, just nice smooth take off. The performance you get out of it, its barely noticeable. I been hearing alot of people say things like "oh, you ganna rev faster" "take off quicker" "if you combine with pulleys, flywheel its ganna go fuck fast" and I think people just exaggerate. But trust me, car does feel alot smoother on low speeds!

Dont mind the toolset

Full system lubrication with Redline oil Engine, tranny, diff. Done at Glendale Lube Center.

86 Academy - WIllow Springs Balcony

Lets just say, I had fun

Next Mods
Major Mod - Clutch upgrade
Minor Mod - Lip kit (on order already)
Minor Mod - Interior parts being Sueded (on order already)
Minor Mod - Kartboy short shifter

Updating Topic
I updated topic.
Added New Items for sale
Will Remove/Replace some of the pictures.
Layout

Thats it for now

Last edited by Binary_fission; 02-26-2016 at 08:02 AM.

Tags
firestorm, frs, hks, injen, jackson racing