follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Varis version 2 hood with naca duct?

I'm curious if this hood will have a problem with the fitment because of the naca duct if I'm running an aftermarket strut bar? Should I go with version 1 without the naca duct?
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
lextrueno

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Frs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel View Post
I'm curious if this hood will have a problem with the fitment because of the naca duct if I'm running an aftermarket strut bar? Should I go with version 1 without the naca duct?
From what I have noticed, the NACA duct isn't intrusive into the engine bay. You may have issues routing a vent tube but most NACA ducts do not go low enough to cause issues with a strut bar. I wouldn't worry about it.

What strut bar do you have?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
GrabTheWheel

Drives: 16' BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextrueno View Post
From what I have noticed, the NACA duct isn't intrusive into the engine bay. You may have issues routing a vent tube but most NACA ducts do not go low enough to cause issues with a strut bar. I wouldn't worry about it.

What strut bar do you have?
Thanks, I’ve confirmed fitment won’t be a problem with strut bar, more worried about the hood ever actually making it here from Japan.
GrabTheWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrabTheWheel For This Useful Post:
lextrueno (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Why would you want to bring air in from the top of your hood? There is plenty coming through the grill.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
lextrueno

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Frs
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Why would you want to bring air in from the top of your hood? There is plenty coming through the grill.

Having the vents like the ones on the varis kit, creates a nice bit of flow from the front of the car going up through the hood. This allows for better cooling and ventilation. The problem that happens is that you create a vacuum which creates a pressurized zone behind the engine. Similar to a fireplace sucking the air from other rooms.

he NACA duct itself was used for aerospace to provide a constant flow of air with no pulsation. It allow smaller amounts of positive pressure airflow to flow from the back of the engine across the coil packs and towards the front of the engine where it meets with the negative pressure area from the large front vents. The cross flow from the back to front of the engine helps cool the heat soak that typically saturates the coil packs.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextrueno View Post
Having the vents like the ones on the varis kit, creates a nice bit of flow from the front of the car going up through the hood. This allows for better cooling and ventilation. The problem that happens is that you create a vacuum which creates a pressurized zone behind the engine. Similar to a fireplace sucking the air from other rooms.

he NACA duct itself was used for aerospace to provide a constant flow of air with no pulsation. It allow smaller amounts of positive pressure airflow to flow from the back of the engine across the coil packs and towards the front of the engine where it meets with the negative pressure area from the large front vents. The cross flow from the back to front of the engine helps cool the heat soak that typically saturates the coil packs.
Didn't realize this hood was vented too, sounded like it just had naca ducts
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote