follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #5125
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I didn't know they only charge sales tax on car community products. That is pretty crazy.

Changing oil in the streets seems like a poor idea, but in your own driveway sounds fine.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #5126
sharky86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I recently purchased and installed the JRSC C38 kit for my 2019 Toyota 86. Everything is going great, especially the CSG tuning process!

However, after a few weeks of the install, I noticed a rattling/knocking sound when the car is at idle and in gear. After some poking around I see that the belt tensioner is pivoting within its single plane of movement, however only when the car is in gear, foot on brake and idling(around 600-700rpm) the tensioner pivots in rapid fashion that is causing the noise as it appears to knock its stop in repeatedly.

With the belt removed, all pulleys spin freely and without noise. The tensioner appears to have the appropriate amount of tension and does not feel loose. Alignment is confirmed to be correct with the spacers in the proper location and the belt is dead on straight from viewed from the side. Belt shows no sign of wear or scoring, and does not make squealing/chirping noise, even when the tensioner is basically knocking up and down its pivot range during the specified idle condition(car in gear, foot on brake, rpm 600-700rpm). I wonder if its just some weird harmonics that is vibrating the belt and tensioner at that specific RPM. As soon as RPM goes up, everything smooths out with just the typical belt tensioner movement(small pivot motions). The belt is the part included with the kit: Gates DK060791. As the car is relatively new(2200 miles on the odometer, maybe 200 miles with the kit installed), I would not think the belt tensioner would have failed just yet.

And of course to help with any advice, here is the youtube clip:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmWNur3MjE[/ame]
sharky86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #5127
pcs

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
...also known as legally selling a product. In California, there is a line for out-of-state purchases on our tax returns.
must have missed the part where it was explicitly stated "to avoid sales tax", unless avoiding sales tax means adding it back to the line item for sales tax.
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #5128
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky86 View Post
I recently purchased and installed the JRSC C38 kit for my 2019 Toyota 86. Everything is going great, especially the CSG tuning process!

However, after a few weeks of the install, I noticed a rattling/knocking sound when the car is at idle and in gear. After some poking around I see that the belt tensioner is pivoting within its single plane of movement, however only when the car is in gear, foot on brake and idling(around 600-700rpm) the tensioner pivots in rapid fashion that is causing the noise as it appears to knock its stop in repeatedly.

With the belt removed, all pulleys spin freely and without noise. The tensioner appears to have the appropriate amount of tension and does not feel loose. Alignment is confirmed to be correct with the spacers in the proper location and the belt is dead on straight from viewed from the side. Belt shows no sign of wear or scoring, and does not make squealing/chirping noise, even when the tensioner is basically knocking up and down its pivot range during the specified idle condition(car in gear, foot on brake, rpm 600-700rpm). I wonder if its just some weird harmonics that is vibrating the belt and tensioner at that specific RPM. As soon as RPM goes up, everything smooths out with just the typical belt tensioner movement(small pivot motions). The belt is the part included with the kit: Gates DK060791. As the car is relatively new(2200 miles on the odometer, maybe 200 miles with the kit installed), I would not think the belt tensioner would have failed just yet.

And of course to help with any advice, here is the youtube clip:

Sound and belt tensioner are all looking/sounding normal to me.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #5129
sharky86

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT
Issue was resolved, had the tuner raise idle rpm in gear to 800 from 600. I also removed bumper clip and moved the pipes around/added more NVH padding here and there.
sharky86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #5130
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Finally received the louvers, installed them last night. So far temps on the highway dropped 15 degrees, they also fell faster after a few hard pulls. I'll have to see if that temperature drop remains at the track but changing my header from Nameless to JDL or ACE should also help. Small steps but getting better every time.
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:59 PM   #5131
AndreC

Drives: Fast track beast
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Biggest benefit I noticed from the vents is not going through as many coilpacks.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
AndreC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndreC For This Useful Post:
milanojess (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #5132
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreC View Post
Biggest benefit I noticed from the vents is not going through as many coilpacks.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I still haven't had one fail, I carry a spare just in case.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #5133
iketeru

Drives: Whiteout 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you're an experienced driver the 987 will need brake and cooling upgrades to perform at the track. You may be better off just customizing the 86 to your specific preference and needs.
What’re your thoughts on 987/718?
iketeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #5134
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iketeru View Post
What’re your thoughts on 987/718?
Great street cars. Not track cars out of the box. Porsche offers customer racing cars for folks who want to track seriously.

Casually, they need brake upgrades to be tracked, but that's to be expected of virtually every street car. More camber also helps a ton.

Unless you're looking for a badge, or more luxury, the A90 spanks the shit out of a 718 base/S, and punches in between a GTS and older GT4. The GT4 has more brake, but the GTS has much more usable power...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (10-11-2019), mrg666 (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #5135
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
This is the best video in explaining how Rotrex works. Check it out if you want to know how your supercharger works. The design is genius and this is the most efficient system in the market.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bx_Vtxm4g[/ame]
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-12-2019), sid_g (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #5136
peaches

Welcome to another edition of, What the fuck is that noise!!

I've had the JRSC on for 4 months, no issues so far. Started doing this 2 days ago right after start up, the noise goes away after the car warms up, but even after it cools down the rest of the day it doesn't do it. Kinda sounds like the cricket chirp but louder. However, unlike the cricket chirp is does it while it moves. Car drives fine, anybody knows what is causing it?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJvpPKu0eg[/ame]
Old 10-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #5137
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post

I've had the JRSC on for 4 months, no issues so far. Started doing this 2 days ago right after start up, the noise goes away after the car warms up, but even after it cools down the rest of the day it doesn't do it. Kinda sounds like the cricket chirp but louder. However, unlike the cricket chirp is does it while it moves. Car drives fine, anybody knows what is causing it?

Best guess, sounds like a pulley bearing.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:20 AM   #5138
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post

Lol mine did that earlier this year when it was cold in Jan -march, I thought it was a bad idler pulley and even bought a new one . Before installing it though I just sprayed the pulley with either silicone spray or a bit of wd40 and the sound has not returned . The pulley I sprayed was the one that moves rapidly back and forth . Doesn't hurt to spray the other pulleys a bit of your able to . Even the the pulleys are sealed you can still spray them a bit and it will help . I live in Cali and the dryness and the dust I think is what caused it for me ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote