follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
AustinTCLN
First 86 owner for LIFE

Drives: 2013 First 86 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Already Got my First 86 Whiteout Manual FR-S

Sorry, I am a late poster, but I am proud to say I am now an Owner of a First86 FR-S, and I picked it up last friday on May 11th. I'll write a short bit on my delivery and driving experience so far.
So my car arrived either tuesday night or wednesday, and I went down wednesday, and thursday after work to check it out. The first day it was still in plastic with no radio, and the second day it was still dirty. I took delivery on Friday and got all the paperwork done then as well. I did not get a discount like i wanted, lol, but I did not overpay, mine was 25,150 plus 6% tax, and ~$240 for dealer title, tag, w/e fees, plus financing interest, obviously.
When I picked up my car it was all cleaned up in their garage completely away from customers with two people watching over it. I took pics, drove it around the dealer lot, talked to a couple salesmen and took off for the night.
Originally the delivery party was gona be then, but the dealer is supposably planning a big realease/delivery party for it in a week or so. I did get the numbered carbon fiber plate and numbered pen, but nothing else. I would kill for a car cover since my white is getting dirty fast, lol.

So i now own and drive an FR-S and I love it. The reason im posting monday night is because I drove it friday night, saturday night after work, and most of sunday, and It now has ~300 miles, and under a 1/4 tank of gas left, lmao. I love basically everything about the car, the looks, the driving feel, and how much Grip it gets, i was pleasantly surprised myself with the Grip around very sharp corners. It never understeered once, but I did get a few seconds of oversteer out of it already. Since everything about the car is great, i will tell you about a few things that are not the best.
I don't like how far out the clutch catches on my car.
I don't like how it has no power under 2000rpms when you take off, you definetly have to get the rpms up a bit before taking off at low rpms, and no im not an idiot and i have been driving a manual for 8 years, but i will say if you purposely launch this car, it is a rocket and has good power in higher RPMs.
The radio was confusing at first, but i figured it out and it sounds great.
After owning it and trying to get two passengers in it besides me, I have found out that the back seats really are a joke, its not a bad thing, but they make good shelves.
Cat/dog hair shows up on the black cloth too easily, but thats what vacuums are for.
Remember there are a ton of things I love about the car, especially the stock suspension, its great on these crappy roads in PA, im just listing my few little cons in order to really help criticize the car.
And finally a few words I probably shouldn't say, but I will anyways...
Everyone has their own opinion on breaking in an engine, I know the factory has to dyno the car before it ever got to me, so it's already seen redline, so it is perfectly fine to run this car hard like anyone would after the "break-in" period. That being said, i have found myself driving this car like I stole it already, lol, and I have safely hit 120+mph already, and it was awesome, and easy, I have a Gixxer 600, so im no newbie when it comes to 150+mph, and I have to say, it gets up to those speeds fast for only having ~170RWHP. I'd say the manual should hit ~145mph if you really try, which is awesome for a 25000 stock car. That being said I stupidly bought a ~$1800 extended warranty for 8yrs/75kmiles, and I am dieing to modify it, but i don't want to void my warranty, if anyone knows loopholes, or what I can modify on it without voiding the warranty, then please write me.
So heres a couple pics, sorry i dont have driving pics/videos yet, or any good photoshoot shots yet, but i should have more soon, im just busy and dont have time to post much.

Yes thats my Free SR DTA posse shirt from CA.

In front of my dealer

I'm dieing to go drive! and yes the Traction control and Stability control is fully off
AustinTCLN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AustinTCLN For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (05-23-2012), neutron256 (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
gwascopter

Drives: MUNI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
man how could u fall for that extended warranty bullshit.
gwascopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
AustinTCLN
First 86 owner for LIFE

lol, idk, I wanted to be covered past when it would be paid off, in case i didn't pay it off early, or if there was bad bugs in say, oh 3 years or 36,000 miles.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Congrats & good color choice if I do say so myself!
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
AustinTCLN (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Glad to see you're enjoying it.

I am sure your dealer filled it up with regular like all these other cheapskate dealers are doing. So once it breaks in a bit more, and you get premium in her she should feel a bit better.

As for mods you can do to avoid warranty hassles...

Drop-in air filter, upgraded oem size tires, tint, axle-back exhaust, and cosmetic mods are pretty much always safe (no matter how anal the dealer), especially if they are TRD items.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
AustinTCLN (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Congrats man! Have fun, but be safe! You don't want to be the first guy to Gushi your way into a pole!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
AustinTCLN
First 86 owner for LIFE

The problem is the things i really want is a good set of coilovers, mainly to stiffen up the suspension so it can be more tail happy and look better once i get a set of RAYs wheels, lol i hope, and I really want the Greddy RS exhaust, or maybe an HKS one, but those both might void the whole warranty. If it will, im prob gonna do whatever I can to get my extra money back, or at least try to if that is the case with this warranty BS. The guy was a **** though to be honest, cuz he was like look, your not gonna be some asshole kid and go rice this car up, its a $25000 car and if you touch the engine the warranty is voided, and you'll probably mess it up. I've worked on alot of cars before, and my gixxer, but at the same time i was like, wtf, wat if this engine blows or something, idk i was in a pickle, and he forced me to make a quick decision that i didn't appreciate making. But honestly Idk if i even want the car if I can't turbo or supercharge it, cuz it is underpowered a bit still IMO, and btw i told those dumb toyota ppl to put premium in it and the owner of the dealership gave a a **** look like i was stupid for telling him what to put in my car. Honestly I hate toyota people, I only bought this car because of my passion for small RWD cars, and I'd like to see more like this in the furture, my real dream would be a nex gen silvia, if it wasn't all electronic'd up like the new GT-R
Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Lowellrenzo

Drives: Civic Si coupe
How much u paid for the insurance?
Lowellrenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTCLN View Post
The problem is the things i really want is a good set of coilovers, mainly to stiffen up the suspension so it can be more tail happy and look better once i get a set of RAYs wheels, lol i hope, and I really want the Greddy RS exhaust, or maybe an HKS one, but those both might void the whole warranty. If it will, im prob gonna do whatever I can to get my extra money back, or at least try to if that is the case with this warranty BS. The guy was a **** though to be honest, cuz he was like look, your not gonna be some asshole kid and go rice this car up, its a $25000 car and if you touch the engine the warranty is voided, and you'll probably mess it up. I've worked on alot of cars before, and my gixxer, but at the same time i was like, wtf, wat if this engine blows or something, idk i was in a pickle, and he forced me to make a quick decision that i didn't appreciate making. But honestly Idk if i even want the car if I can't turbo or supercharge it, cuz it is underpowered a bit still IMO, and btw i told those dumb toyota ppl to put premium in it and the owner of the dealership gave a a **** look like i was stupid for telling him what to put in my car. Honestly I hate toyota people, I only bought this car because of my passion for small RWD cars, and I'd like to see more like this in the furture, my real dream would be a nex gen silvia, if it wasn't all electronic'd up like the new GT-R
If you have a few minutes, and you want to arm yourself with relevant knowledge about vehicle warranties, your rights and modfications, check out this thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4306
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
AustinTCLN (05-14-2012), civicdrivr (05-15-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
AustinTCLN
First 86 owner for LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowellrenzo View Post
How much u paid for the insurance?
I checked alot of insurance companies, i had allstate, so checked esurance(now merged wit allstate) and it happened to be the best and cheapest. I am 21 male, one medical claim of $170, ik its BS, and my coverages are 25/50/100, 15,000 income loss, covered for under/uninsured, 500 comp ded, 1500 col ded, gap coverage, and its $1510 for 6 months, but im hoping it'll go down in 6 months because the quote and price im paying for is a Genesis cuz the didnt have FR-S in the system, and in my opinion it should be less then a genesis considering price, safety, and HP. BTW my insurance card now says 2013 FR-S but im prob still paying same until they update it.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
120? If you did that in this province you'd be looking at thousands in fines, license loss, felony record, and probably car confiscation.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
russv (05-22-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #12
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
120? If you did that in this province you'd be looking at thousands in fines, license loss, felony record, and probably car confiscation.
what i have learned from meeting with all kinds of folks at the First86 event is, don't be judgmental. He is excited and honest in his car-receiving thread. let it go my friend.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #13
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTCLN View Post
I checked alot of insurance companies, i had allstate, so checked esurance(now merged wit allstate) and it happened to be the best and cheapest. I am 21 male, one medical claim of $170, ik its BS, and my coverages are 25/50/100, 15,000 income loss, covered for under/uninsured, 500 comp ded, 1500 col ded, gap coverage, and its $1510 for 6 months, but im hoping it'll go down in 6 months because the quote and price im paying for is a Genesis cuz the didnt have FR-S in the system, and in my opinion it should be less then a genesis considering price, safety, and HP. BTW my insurance card now says 2013 FR-S but im prob still paying same until they update it.
dude, that's half of my car payment per month man. go easy on the pedal
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
niice congrats...
AustinTCLN (05-15-2012)

Tags
first 86, scion fr-s, whiteout