follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #57
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
TLDR; it's not any better than that era. just different.

i saw your reply last night, had 3 paragraphs written, switched tabs to copy a link, and my phone updated this tab wiping the entire response, so i gave up for the night...

i'm a tinkering hobbyist. if it makes noise or light, i've got an interest in it. i do some pro audio stuff for my church, and other tangents of audio i play with for my own learning.

truth is, audio hasn't changed all that much since the 50's. there's been some gains in reducing 3rd order harmonics with copper or aluminum shorting rings in the motor structure, and also using FEA for better material control, but the overall concepts are essentially the same from the 50's.

there's different exotic processes/materials on the market than before, but they only serve to color the media(let's face reality here-- all driver materials color the media in one way or another) in different ways than the exotic materials that came before.

same with crossover design. the same fundamentals that were developed decades ago still hold true with only minor deviations.

the info you learned 10 years ago will still hold the same today, only they have better marketing teams to create more confusing lingo then before!

I beg to differ regards to amplification and it colouring sound. Firstly, there are Nelson Pass type zero feedback single ended class A amplifiers that crank out a screaming 25 or so Watts and they are very precisely crafted using thoughtfully devised circuit topologies that bring the sound close, very close to the source. What I think you are referring to is the use of a choke? In which case are you implying tube sound is state of the art? Perhaps low powered single ended are with limitations versus using semiconductors.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #58
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i was talking about passive crossover design, and materials as they relate to speakers, as my understanding was that the discussion was mostly about the speakers, not the amplification.

but you're right, amplification has changed drastically. even class d equipment is more viable then it's ever been before. and amplifiers really shouldn't be coloring the sound, regardless of topology

Last edited by soundman98; 04-01-2019 at 11:43 PM.
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote