follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #141
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
If anybody cares, I put this into Google Sheets... a little easier to see all of the failures and what not, so feel free to update/add any new failures.

https://tinyurl.com/y2hy5kx4
can we please get this list added to the post #1 so we can make this a functional place, thanks fellas!
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:35 PM   #142
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trave9161991 View Post
They said they didn't have the cam gears off the cam so it wasn't their fault. The service manager also didn't know how timing works on an engine and kept telling me they timed it correctly even though I gave him plenty of evidence as to why he didn't. Called toyota back and asked them how I was supposed to get anywhere with a service manager that doesn't even know what he's talking about...

Debris in the OCV, or one of the passages that feeds the OCV or cam sprocket, can affect the oil pressure, and throw off the variable timing. My service tech explained the entire system to me, showed me how the timing is done, etc.

Also, the cam sprockets in early 2013's have a known issue, so potentially an oil pressure change, could affect an already failing sprocket, pushing it into complete failure.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #143
trave9161991

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
Debris in the OCV, or one of the passages that feeds the OCV or cam sprocket, can affect the oil pressure, and throw off the variable timing. My service tech explained the entire system to me, showed me how the timing is done, etc.

Also, the cam sprockets in early 2013's have a known issue, so potentially an oil pressure change, could affect an already failing sprocket, pushing it into complete failure.
I don't think there would be debris in the solenoid as it's just an electrically driven plunger that pushes on the valve in the cam gear. I'm hoping I don't have debris in my cam passage that runs the length of it...
trave9161991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #144
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trave9161991 View Post
I don't think there would be debris in the solenoid as it's just an electrically driven plunger that pushes on the valve in the cam gear. I'm hoping I don't have debris in my cam passage that runs the length of it...
No, not the solenoid itself, but the oil system it controls.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:38 AM   #145
hellyvin

Drives: WRB Brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
Where in Cali bro ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal. Fremont
hellyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:03 AM   #146
Invisionthis

Drives: 2013 Silver FR-S
ttps://imgur.com/a/gW62hVz

Update #3, Just got a callback from the Customer relations individual handling the case, they told me it's not their fault because of three different things, 1st of all the engine has over 100,000 miles and given the nature of sports cars most likely driven rough (Wasn't since I've owned it) 2nd, because it is a rebuilt title, reason for the rebuilt title is it got into a fender bender... have the documents to prove it as well, and if that's the case they shouldn't have done the recall in the first place, and 3rd they already had the toyota GM come out and look specifically for the "TB1217H" that ermax said in the other forum post, which doesn't make sense because the engine is put together (Check imgur link) and nobody said anything about the GM looking for that sealant until I said something. So they won't be covering it, I need a whole shortblock. Looks like we're going the legal route
Invisionthis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Invisionthis For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #147
ThatCarGuyClayton

Drives: N/A
2013 Scion FRS
66000 Miles roughly
Engine knocking
Roughly 1000
New York

I'll be finding out more this week.

ThatCarGuyClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:42 PM   #148
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisionthis View Post
ttps://imgur.com/a/gW62hVz

Update #3, Just got a callback from the Customer relations individual handling the case, they told me it's not their fault because of three different things, 1st of all the engine has over 100,000 miles and given the nature of sports cars most likely driven rough (Wasn't since I've owned it) 2nd, because it is a rebuilt title, reason for the rebuilt title is it got into a fender bender... have the documents to prove it as well, and if that's the case they shouldn't have done the recall in the first place, and 3rd they already had the toyota GM come out and look specifically for the "TB1217H" that ermax said in the other forum post, which doesn't make sense because the engine is put together (Check imgur link) and nobody said anything about the GM looking for that sealant until I said something. So they won't be covering it, I need a whole shortblock. Looks like we're going the legal route
Toyota saying they won’t cover it is not the end of it. Now it’s between you and the dealer.

Toyota’s role is to determine if the failure is a result on a failed part. A part that was installed correctly then failed and damaged your engine. That is all that is covered by the 12 month 12k mile warranty.

Poor workmanship, broken parts, not enough oil in the engine, etc is not on Toyota. The dealer would normally try to pay that off with goodwill warranty, the temporary warranty extension people are being granted. Now that Toyota knows about you title goodwill is probably off the table.

At this point,the dealer will have to man up and fix the car, or you go to court.

Toyota didn’t break the car. The recall didn’t break the car. The poor work performed on the engine broke the car. That’s on the dealer.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:13 AM   #149
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Toyota saying they won’t cover it is not the end of it. Now it’s between you and the dealer.

Toyota’s role is to determine if the failure is a result on a failed part. A part that was installed correctly then failed and damaged your engine. That is all that is covered by the 12 month 12k mile warranty.

Poor workmanship, broken parts, not enough oil in the engine, etc is not on Toyota. The dealer would normally try to pay that off with goodwill warranty, the temporary warranty extension people are being granted. Now that Toyota knows about you title goodwill is probably off the table.

At this point,the dealer will have to man up and fix the car, or you go to court.

Toyota didn’t break the car. The recall didn’t break the car. The poor work performed on the engine broke the car. That’s on the dealer.

So how do you take a dealer to court? Attorney , lawyer , what do you recommend since you appear to have rational on why Toyota didn't break the car .

mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:28 AM   #150
maslin
Benz Tech

Toyota didn’t break the car because Toyota didn’t perform the recall. A technician who works for a dealership, which isn’t owned by Toyota, performed the recall. The work was performed incorrectly, that isn’t Toyota’s fault.

Toyota does not own the dealerships. Toyota does not pay the technicians. Someone owns the dealership, generally a person or group of people.

Yes, you can sue the dealership for damages. If you pick your car up from an oil change and the windshield is broken, what would you do? It isn’t warranty, Toyota USA doesn’t owe you a windshield. The dealership does. Same thing, but a couple thousand dollars instead of several hundred.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #151
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Toyota didn’t break the car because Toyota didn’t perform the recall. A technician who works for a dealership, which isn’t owned by Toyota, performed the recall. The work was performed incorrectly, that isn’t Toyota’s fault.

Toyota does not own the dealerships. Toyota does not pay the technicians. Someone owns the dealership, generally a person or group of people.

Yes, you can sue the dealership for damages. If you pick your car up from an oil change and the windshield is broken, what would you do? It isn’t warranty, Toyota USA doesn’t owe you a windshield. The dealership does. Same thing, but a couple thousand dollars instead of several hundred.

Under what basis do you sue a dealership ? How does one prove that that the recall work caused the engine to break ? Do you get an attorney ? Lawer, and if so what type ? Clarify ? sounds so easy to just say , sue the dealer ......?

mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #152
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
Under what basis do you sue a dealership ? How does one prove that that the recall work caused the engine to break ? Do you get an attorney ? Lawer, and if so what type ? Clarify ? sounds so easy to just say , sue the dealer ......?

You can sue anybody for anything, if you’re willing to pay. You dropped a car off to be worked on that ran fine, when you picked it up the engine blew up. Your attorney tries to prove they messed up. Their attorney tries prove it blew up on its own. Maybe you win and get money, maybe you lose and you’re out money.

Or you walk away, take your car and they never see you again. That’s what they’re hoping for.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #153
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You can sue anybody for anything, if you’re willing to pay. You dropped a car off to be worked on that ran fine, when you picked it up the engine blew up. Your attorney tries to prove they messed up. Their attorney tries prove it blew up on its own. Maybe you win and get money, maybe you lose and you’re out money.

Or you walk away, take your car and they never see you again. That’s what they’re hoping for.
The problem is determining whether the juice is worth the squeeze. If you have pictures of what caused it and a competent lawyer you have a good chance. If the dealer knows that, they'll probably settle and just pay for the motor. Costs less than legal fees. If not you'll be paying probably near as much as the motor to get them to pay for the motor. I'm not saying 8k is cheap, but it might be around the cut even price where its the same cost to pay for an engine as it is to pay for a lawyer.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:42 AM   #154
maslin
Benz Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post
The problem is determining whether the juice is worth the squeeze. If you have pictures of what caused it and a competent lawyer you have a good chance. If the dealer knows that, they'll probably settle and just pay for the motor. Costs less than legal fees. If not you'll be paying probably near as much as the motor to get them to pay for the motor. I'm not saying 8k is cheap, but it might be around the cut even price where its the same cost to pay for an engine as it is to pay for a lawyer.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Exactly. The dealers are hoping you either a. pay them thousands of dollars to fix an engine that was running fine 2 weeks ago, or b. disappear and never come back.

From what I’ve seen, the majority of frs/brz owners (especially early 2013s) are guys in their early 20s. The dealerships are probably fairly confident they don’t know how, or aren’t capable of persuing a civil suit.
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
ermax (03-24-2019)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring