follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
PapaJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS Engine Upgrade Shopping List

Wanted to maybe get some different views on my current "list".

Through browsing the forums and asking a ton of noob questions to countless people. I've come to this list for upgrading my engine internals.
--Manley Turbo Tuff Pro Series I Beam Connecting Rod
--CP Low Comp Forged 2618 Pistons 10:1

--CP-Carrillo High Performance Piston Pin

--ARP FA20 Rod Bolt Kit

--ARP FA20 Head Stud Kit
--GSC Power Division FA20 Turbo / SC Valve Spring Set
--King XPG FA20 Rod Bearings
--HKS Metal Head Gasket (Supercharged Vehicles)

My concerns are that, will that head gasket work, will I have to layer it?
All of this is far cheaper than the HKS Stroker kit which has mixed reviews. And I get more components, but as I've read, the stock crank should be fine. My power goals aren't massive, but I want reliability. Other upgrades I have planned are...
--SBD500X Turbo kit
--Dual Radium Catch Cans
--Radiator/Oil Cooler, Possible Fan Upgrade
--Boost Controller
--Fuel Pump / Injectors
--Maybe some pully upgrades if budget allows.

Posting to see what you all think about this? Comments, Concerns, Suggestions?

PapaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
What plans do you have for heat management (under hood temps with turbo can cause various complications - consider ceramic coating and / or heatwrap. Hood ventilation maybe)? Tuning? Tires that will hold the power you want safely?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
PapaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
What plans do you have for heat management (under hood temps with turbo can cause various complications - consider ceramic coating and / or heatwrap. Hood ventilation maybe)? Tuning? Tires that will hold the power you want safely?

Was definitely going to do some heat wrapping, was considering hood ventilation. The plans were to do a grill delete for now which (I would hope) let a ton more air under the hood.

Tuning, since my knowledge is lack there as well, I was going to have a local company that I found on Ecutek's site do the tuning.

Tires; I'm still looking into, being in Louisiana the weather can get all over the place, as the last couple weeks have shown haha. As much as I would like to run summers all year round, I don't think that would be the best option in wet conditions, specially with our roads being horrible and water likes to just chill on the road waiting to crack an oil pan. We like to call it, Puddle or Pothole Roulette haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to PapaJ For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaJ View Post
Was definitely going to do some heat wrapping, was considering hood ventilation. The plans were to do a grill delete for now which (I would hope) let a ton more air under the hood.

Tuning, since my knowledge is lack there as well, I was going to have a local company that I found on Ecutek's site do the tuning.

Tires; I'm still looking into, being in Louisiana the weather can get all over the place, as the last couple weeks have shown haha. As much as I would like to run summers all year round, I don't think that would be the best option in wet conditions, specially with our roads being horrible and water likes to just chill on the road waiting to crack an oil pan. We like to call it, Puddle or Pothole Roulette haha.
ECUtek is great on all accounts, especially with RaceRom. The real issue with our engine area is lack of engine bay ventilation - plenty of air comes in, but it cannot leave. When you add an oil cooler and intercooler, this is only going to make things worse. It's not as if immediately your car is going to turn bright red and melt, but if you want reliability, I'd look into allowing the air evacuation through hood venting.

Tires are always a challenge, do what you need to. I'd consider running 2 sets - one for good days, and another for seasons / time periods where a 255/35 max performance summer isn't a good fit.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
PapaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
ECUtek is great on all accounts, especially with RaceRom. The real issue with our engine area is lack of engine bay ventilation - plenty of air comes in, but it cannot leave. When you add an oil cooler and intercooler, this is only going to make things worse. It's not as if immediately your car is going to turn bright red and melt, but if you want reliability, I'd look into allowing the air evacuation through hood venting.

Tires are always a challenge, do what you need to. I'd consider running 2 sets - one for good days, and another for seasons / time periods where a 255/35 max performance summer isn't a good fit.

Hmm, very good points there. May have to look into the carbon fiber hood then. I suppose I could always keep the stock tires with all seasons and my rims with summers, because I'll probably run them mostly during the summer anyway/shows and what not.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
As mentioned above, getting the air out of the engine bay is more critical than getting it in with these cars.

What are your power goals?
Old 02-04-2019, 09:18 PM   #7
PapaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
As mentioned above, getting the air out of the engine bay is more critical than getting it in with these cars.

What are your power goals?

I would say as far as short term goals, I'd say I would like to play in the 3-400 range. Not anything insane, really just something to have a bunch more fun in with the occasional track day with friends, but would also be reliable enough to daily.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:29 AM   #8
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
May have to look into the carbon fiber hood then.
Negligible weight saving at great expense. A better option would be

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/t...s-brz-frs-gt86

or

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...2013-ft86.html

or

All of these have data to back up the cooling claims.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #9
PapaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Negligible weight saving at great expense. A better option would be

https://www.counterspacegarage.com/t...s-brz-frs-gt86

or

or

All of these have data to back up the cooling claims.

I literally was JUST looking at these, you can't beat that price compared to the CF hood. And they have covers to prevent rain and crap from getting in, which I also have not found from Seibon. Great Idea.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I literally was JUST looking at these, you can't beat that price compared to the CF hood. And they have covers to prevent rain and crap from getting in, which I also have not found from Seibon. Great Idea.
Considering these myself, as I just went JRSC w/ e85...but the idea of cutting into my hood is giving me a little heartache. Make its much harder to return my tS to stock if I ever go to sell it...
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #11
PapaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
Considering these myself, as I just went JRSC w/ e85...but the idea of cutting into my hood is giving me a little heartache. Make its much harder to return my tS to stock if I ever go to sell it...

Just watched a video of an install, this guy makes some pretty good tips while doing the install.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74CHW7Y5wdU[/ame]

My concerns are cutting as well, but worse comes to worse, I'm sure a body shop would do it for a few bucks. It doesn't look too hard but the anxiety of that first drill hole has me still shaking. Haha. As far as going back to stock, would be rough, but the hood vents could make it more tempting to a buyer.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #12
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Mods almost never rise value of car, and everybody modding should consider that money lost. If anything, it's much easier to find buyer to (at least looking) stock car, as mods strongly hint of possible more then average abuse of car (on eg. track). Even if mods are visual only, they are usually according one's specific taste, and again may narrow potential buyers list as people are different and thus their taste too. Not everybody may wish for overdone carbon interior or hello kitty colored wheels or big wang [tm] in rear.
I perfectly understand people wishing to do only reversible mods for easier selling car in future, +at least some of money on aftermarket cars recouped from selling mod parts separately. Mods still installed will rather lower resale value then providing "desirable deal/package" as owner of modded car may selfdeceptively think/wish of his car.
Just like with other popular cars of past. I hear phrases like "it's very hard to find unmodified car of model X", "unmodified car in pristine condition costs a lot", be it about old supras, evos, silvias, hachiroku-s, gt-r-s, whatever.
"hood vents could make it more tempting to a buyer"? Probably opposite to majority of buyers, to whom "looking like stock" might be naive try on upping chances of getting less abused car.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (02-05-2019), Tcoat (02-07-2019), Turdinator (02-05-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #13
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
You'll need a clutch for sure.

Why not e85 and a turbo kit? It will net you around 350whp. With the correlating torque at that power level, you will be near the limit of the transmission.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
PapaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
You'll need a clutch for sure.

Why not e85 and a turbo kit? It will net you around 350whp. With the correlating torque at that power level, you will be near the limit of the transmission.

E85 for me is pretty much not possible. I live in Houma, Louisiana, the nearest station with E85 is in New Orleans or Baton Rouge, which are both over an hour away.

At the moment, I have the Automatic transmission. was thinking of changing it, but not quite sure just yet.