follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Is it possible to bypass the factory dome light wiring?

So a little back story, I am one of the many who has managed to fry something in his BIU(Light control unit) and now my dome light does not illuminate properly when I open my doors and close them. My door courtesy lights still work, but no dome light. When I move the dome light switch from the off position to the middle position, only half of my LED light strip works, and the light never turns off. When I turn the switch all the way to the right, the light comes on fully and is bright as day, but does not go off with the doors.

Is it possible to somehow tap my dome lights wiring into a different circuit or fuse or something that would allow it to turn on and off with the car doors like it did originally?

This might be dumb, but I'm willing to take the criticism for the new found knowledge.

Thank you for looking guys and girls,
Blake
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...39&postcount=8

It's scary, but this is what I followed to fix mine. You'll need soldering skills. Fairly good soldering skills in fact. The replacement chip is cheap enough. I bought a couple when I had to fix mine, but this is absolutely the fix. Good luck!
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phanguy For This Useful Post:
paintdude258 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Ohh Snap!! Thank you for the info. I would have had no idea how to search for that. I will order a couple of the chips and give it a wirl... Or give one of my solder savy friends give it a wirl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...39&postcount=8

It's scary, but this is what I followed to fix mine. You'll need soldering skills. Fairly good soldering skills in fact. The replacement chip is cheap enough. I bought a couple when I had to fix mine, but this is absolutely the fix. Good luck!
paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdude258 View Post
Ohh Snap!! Thank you for the info. I would have had no idea how to search for that. I will order a couple of the chips and give it a wirl... Or give one of my solder savy friends give it a wirl!
yeah tell me about it. i was digging at it for weeks when i had the issue then i eventually stumbled upon that thread! if you do it successfully then i suggest doing a write up to help others! since you and i are definitely not the only people that have messed up the dome...
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dome light