follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Decko

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Financing a BRZ.

I'm looking to purchase a 2014 BRZ when they come out, but I've never bought a vehicle brand new before and was looking for some insight. Would it be better to finance through the dealership I get the vehicle from or to just go to my credit union for financing? Sorry if it's a dumb question, just not sure how all this works.
Decko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
rapidcars

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The dealer gave me 2.9%. Other have done better with their local credit unions so it's probably worth looking into.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Look at the interest rates, early payoff penalties, and other terms of the loan, and then decide.

I got dealer financing on my truck, because they gave me an extra $1000 off if I did, but the rate was higher than my credit union. I made one payment, then did a refi thru the credit union.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Get it through the credit union, and your dealer will try to match. Just remember, don't get suckered into focusing on monthly payments. Always negotiate in terms of total cost.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cjymiller For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-31-2013), strat61caster (07-31-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Decko

Drives: N/A
Thanks for the advice everyone!
Decko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
ThisIsChrisKim
Hockey Playing Scientist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT (WRB)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
This is what i did, got pre-approved at the credit union, and then went into the dealer, got the price i wanted and when i talked to the finance guy he uses my credit union and was able to submit the official loan documents for me.
Likewise. Got 1.5% for 3 years on my loan. It also helps to have a very high credit score, too.
ThisIsChrisKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I signed up with PenFed credit union specifically to get their car loan.

I got a great rate, best rate i had seen, and qualified for it with no surprises. Dealer wasn't happy when they found out it was already financed. Keep that in your pocket until after pricing is settled.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
When I bought my BRZ I discovered a little trick that perhaps you should keep in mind.

I bought when it was first available and planned on paying MSRP for the car (no mark ups). We made the deal and then the finance manager called me on the phone to inform me of the details (4.75% interest rate).

I told him that 4.75% is extremely high and my credit should warrant a much lower rate. He stated he ran it through all of his creditors and that was the best rate. I hung up the phone with him and called BS. I went online a filled out an application online (bank of america) and was given a 2.5% rate.

Here's where it gets good ...I brought the finance manager my approval @ 2.5% and he insisted that he couldn't get me that rate. I just sat there and stated that I'll have to go through the process on my own then to get financing. After about 15 minutes of back and forth he wound up discounted the car by the difference in interest payments over 60 months ...yep, so I got below MSRP and was given the 4.75% rate. Sounds meh, but then, after I got home I re-financed the car through PenFed and got a 1.5% interest rate. In the end, I got the car for a little over $1,000 LESS than MSRP and a 1.5% interest rate!

I suggest you get some quotes online for a new car purchase - you can then bring them to the dealer and negotiate accordingly.

TL;DR; Got my BRZ well below MSRP at 1.5% for 60 months.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
meeskee2

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ Limited, MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
[QUOTE=Gunman;1108495]Look at the interest rates, early payoff penalties, and other terms of the loan, and then decide. QUOTE]

Exactly, do a little shopping around, that's what I did. Ended up just going through the dealer, got 1.7% which was way lower the my Credit Union.

"Some guys think that having a better car makes them better than other guys, and those guys are right." -Top Gear
meeskee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #10
CTB727

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I was pre-approved by my credit union and the dealership beat that rate, much to my surprise.
CTB727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #11
DeepHunta

Drives: '05 Outback Wgn, '05 Lotus Elise
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I went with dealer. I didn't care. I had to have to car. I think I got 3.6% or something. Whatevs, enjoying the car like none other
Proud ex-owner of GBS 6MT BRZ Limited. Pre-ordered on Feb-29-2012, got VIN on 5/19 with ETA 6/6, arrived early on 6/2, but still didn't pick it up until Jun-6-2012. Recently sold the Buuurz as of 4/21/2014
DeepHunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #12
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Pentagon fed CU (www.penfed.org), I will never go anywhere else for a car loan, their rates are the lowest I've ever seen. Sign up for $10 or whatever it is and enjoy 1.74% for 60-72 months (if your credit is good).

I applied and within a day they over-nighted a check to me and I picked up my baby at the dealer. Signed a few papers and I was on my way.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #13
tacoss23

Drives: '08 328i, '13 Accord Sport, '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do it on your own!!

Here is the deal:
Your dealership's "finance department" is not more than a compiled list of financial institutions that give out autoloans, most importantly, that WORK WITH THEM. Anytime you hear that term "work with them" you know there is something in between. Now that something in between is not much or anything at all most of the time, but the fact is they will try to hook you up with one of these first, regardless of what rate they offer. Their interest is selling you the car THAT DAY and getting those banks another business, not the APR you will get or your best interest.

Please, shop for a car loan by yourself.

1) Credit Unions
2) Your own Bank (specially if you have credit history with them)
3) Big banks (they do offer good rates if you have a "premium CS", 720+)
4) Other banks, local

I was surprised when one of my banks, Bank of America offered me a 2.49%, compared to a Credit Union at 3.2%. Again, it varies, but check them on your own.

Then, in the case of the BRZ, ask for a 30k loan. You have to make sure you explain that you haven't setup the price, and see if your bank allows you do a flexible "blank" check of around 30k. Many of them don't do this anymore, but BoA allowed me to do that (I do have a pretty big savings account with them so probably that's why).

Anyways, the point is, buying a car becomes a great experience. You walk in the dealership with cash in hand (practically) and the pressure is on the dealership to sell you the car, you are not anymore in a situation where they have the upper hand, because they are "trying to get you" the finance, which is a lie, there is nothing, NOTHING they can do for you in terms of financing that you can't do it on your own better.

Don't ever walk in a dealership with the intention of buying without having the finance part taken car of, you give the dealership the upper hand, and most of them are experts in creating a situation where you end up "thankful" to them the deal went through, they use techniques like making you wait at the finance office with clear windows, while you watch everyone walk out to their new cars, even worst, in front of the car you just test drove, etc. Some of them will actually make you feel worst about your credit score, telling you is going to be hard to get you the financing, but they will pull strings around to help you out, etc.

Good luck!
tacoss23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #14
HiXxY
Shoegazer

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Series.Blue
great post tacos
HiXxY is offline   Reply With Quote