follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ofh vs gruppe vs 1320 performance vs cnt

Before you say "hit the search button etc", I have. I just want recent opinions on these headers

By the way, I'm getting an oft soon after getting the header

Note: prices are in CAD

OFH is one of the options however, it's the most expensive out of the 4 I have in mind. It looks amazing (the best pug of them all) though and I'm guessing it has the most hp gain out of them all. But doesn't come with gaskets or op (like 150 more for those 2).

Total without op: $977 cad roughly with import charge and shipping

Gruppe s
This header has a lot of good reviews. I mean a lot! I haven't heard anyone complain about them and the collector looks nice! However it's still up there when it comes to the price of it and it doesn't come with op but I think it does come with gaskets.
Total without op: 735 CAD roughly from ft86motorsports. No import charges and free shipping but there is Canadian tax.

1320 performance is by far my favourite out of the 4. I've read a lot of good reviews about but I want to hear about this from you guys the most. Especially those who have owned it for a while. My main concern is, they say that the flex pipe makes noise or leaks. Can anyone confirm this?? This header comes with op and gaskets. I also heard they take a while to ship but I'm not worried about that as it's still cold here in Toronto.

Total: around 650 CAD. Import charges are a freaking nightmare!! Would've been 550 without the import charge.

Cnt header. The cheapest and I've heard decent things about it. I did also hear that they sometimes get surface rust but again, I'm not Guna stare at this header so I don't really care if it looks like crap. Doesn't come with op or gaskets.

Total: $575 CAD roughly making it the cheapest but no op or gaskets which makes it to be the same price at the 1320 if I got an op and gaskets. The import charge is 20 bucks less for some reason but till around 80 bucks.

I'm at a total loss on which one I should get. I really like the 1320 but If it has leaks or a bad flex pipe, it's not worth it. Ofh is too expensive. Gruppe is well made but pricey too. Cnt is cheap but needs gaskets and that will put the price of it really close to the 1320

Ps. I have an mxp sp exhaust (it's...AWESOME!)

Really would love to hear your opinions and experience on those headers.

Thanks for reading my post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:45 PM   #2
thecarfilmer
IG: @nickwiththefrs

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Halo
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
i had gruppe-s and it was the best bang for my buck. Its pretty much a tomei uel but almost half the price. 1320 is a hit or miss, i know a few people who has it and they all had leaks.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Where could you have possibly read good reviews of the 1320 header? It is easily the biggest piece of garbage on the market for this car. I have removed multiple for customers that rubbed on the subframe, leaked from warped flanges, and fluttered from crap flex joints. Also, the o2 sensor spacer is a joke, and the 90 bend is required so the o2 sensor don't get eaten by the control arm.

OFH or Groupe S. Both will fit well, sound great, and make decent gains.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
allowe (03-20-2017), Keenercarguy (03-20-2017), shayangh (03-23-2017), Teseo (03-20-2017), VIP BRZ (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #4
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Gruppe-s. It is literally a copy of the Tomei UEL for less money. It comes with gaskets. Mine has had 0 problems.

It's a bit like the Tein Flex Z coilover. When you realize what you get for the money (quality, design, user feedback) its hard to understand why 95% of people would go with anything else unless they have very specific needs (like race-specific use, unlimited budget, etc).
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
allowe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OFH 1st gen here, got it in their first group buy. No regrets on the purchase, install was flawless and it sounds glorious
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad1723 For This Useful Post:
allowe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I have the 1320 header and I haven't had a single problem with it besides the install being a bit of a pain to get the inside bolt on the drivers side flange. Everything else is great.
They started using a newer version and that is what I ended up getting. It has larger flex pipes apparently and that helps with the warping they were seeing.
You're gonna have hits and misses with every brand but if you're looking for a good review of 1320 I think my header is great and the company was nice enough to ship it out quick and to send me a newer one too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've had it on since last fall and haven't had any problems, I daily it and autocross so it's been through some heat cycles too. No weird noises but I have an N1 catback so I can't hear much besides the exhaust noise anyways.
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Racers Line View Post
Where could you have possibly read good reviews of the 1320 header? It is easily the biggest piece of garbage on the market for this car. I have removed multiple for customers that rubbed on the subframe, leaked from warped flanges, and fluttered from crap flex joints. Also, the o2 sensor spacer is a joke, and the 90 bend is required so the o2 sensor don't get eaten by the control arm.

OFH or Groupe S. Both will fit well, sound great, and make decent gains.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95068

Old 03-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
It would make sense to buy the newest OFH offering with the overpipe included and the OFT at the same time would it not?

Especially since you can get the tuning specific to that and you get the overpipe.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
allowe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
Gruppe-s. It is literally a copy of the Tomei UEL for less money. It comes with gaskets. Mine has had 0 problems.

It's a bit like the Tein Flex Z coilover. When you realize what you get for the money (quality, design, user feedback) its hard to understand why 95% of people would go with anything else unless they have very specific needs (like race-specific use, unlimited budget, etc).

How does it sound? I'm looking for the quietest one too. I know that a catless header will be louder than stock but I don't wana rattle the neighbourhood haha.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 PM   #10
allowe

ofh vs gruppe vs 1320 performance vs cnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
It would make sense to buy the newest OFH offering with the overpipe included and the OFT at the same time would it not?

Especially since you can get the tuning specific to that and you get the overpipe.

I'm buying the oft used which will save me about 100 CAD. (It's almost 800 with tax brand new in Canada)

That whole package is literally about 1700 cad. Might as well spend a grand more and go For an eBay turbo kit lol.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
After a skim of that whole 4 page thread, there was 1 guy who purchased one, who then had to return it because the flanges were garbage and it leaked. Hardly good reviews.

"I didn't really run N/A long. I made 179whp with that setup. Sold the header after it had some weird issues.. the flanges weren't decked correctly, causing a leak against the block, and the flexpipe had a hiss/rattle leak."

1320 is local to my shop. Many purchased their header, and then quickly sold them because of issues.

Groupe S are literally Tomei rejects, and they still fit and perform 100% better than the 1320 crap.
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #12
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
How does it sound? I'm looking for the quietest one too. I know that a catless header will be louder than stock but I don't wana rattle the neighbourhood haha.

It will sound exactly like every other UEL catless header. Unless you are going with a catted header, its not going to matter which brand you buy -- Almost all will sound the exact same (unless you buy an expensive one with thicker pipping, which would increase weight, and even that wouldn't sound much different).

But, with that being said, the sound rocks. I'd avoid touching your front pipe unless you want to introduce rasp -- Look at changing the catback/axleback to unlock the rumbles from the header.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
allowe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #13
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
What about JDL, op? They are robust, quality is outstanding, lifetime warranty, fit like oem and have "special tune (patch actually)" with a oft.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
allowe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
allowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcarson11 View Post
It will sound exactly like every other UEL catless header. Unless you are going with a catted header, its not going to matter which brand you buy -- Almost all will sound the exact same (unless you buy an expensive one with thicker pipping, which would increase weight, and even that wouldn't sound much different).

But, with that being said, the sound rocks. I'd avoid touching your front pipe unless you want to introduce rasp -- Look at changing the catback/axleback to unlock the rumbles from the header.

Thanks for ur reply bro! I'm not Guna change the op or have any plans todo so. I don't want my car to smell. I also don't want a ticket too lol. i figured it's Guna sound the same as the other catless uel headers too. Thanks for ur input