follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
AlexTheGreek

Drives: BRZ Premium Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Replaced front speakers with component set - sound is worse

I am in the process of doing an audio build. I have a set of Polk Audio MM6501 Components from my old car that I decided to re-use in my BRZ.

The plan is to use my Alpine PDX-F4 to power the components (as was my old setup), but as a first go I wanted to power them off the stock amp to see how they would sound first.

I purchased a set of door spacers and tweet mounts off subaru audio DOT net. The tweet mounts looked a little too rough cut and so I decided to fabricate some tweeter mounts from sheet metal. I purchased a bunch of weatherstripping foam from Lowes and ensured a good seal between the door, the spacer and the speaker.

I purchased Metra speaker connector adapter for the door speakers (Metra 72-8104) and routed them along with the Polk speaker wires through the door grommet. This is a really tough job and you will likely have to remove the tape on the hose between the door, peel back the upper hose and poke a hole for the wire. I used a coat hanger, some packing tape and grease to guide the wires through.

Finally I mounted the cross overs under the dash. To the left of the steering column on the driver's side (tie raps) and behind the glove box (velcro tape) on the passenger side.

Here are some pics:

The result:

First off, when having completed the driver's side and not yet touched the passenger side. I sat in the car and turned on the stereo. The OEM speakers were considerably louder. I don't know if that's a result of the passive crossover from the Polks component set sucking up the juice? The second thing I noticed is that the front stage was less present.

I played with the fader switching between FL and FR only and it was obvious that the polks were just not as good present as the OEM. I proceeded anyway to install the Polk MM6501 set on the passenger side as well. Once everything was put back together I sat inside with both doors closed for a listen.

Immediatly it sounded a lot less bright and in your face. I had to turn up the volume to 75% to match the OEM level of 40%. Also, the rears were now too loud so I had to set the fader forward a little to match the fronts with the rears. Also, the Polks didn't seem to like the low frequencies very well, so I loaded the equalizer and dropped the first two bars down to hide the lows.

The sound does seem more clear in the mids, but I feel like I lost a bunch of high and lows. I dont't know if it is even worth running them to an aftermarket LOC and amp to see if it gets better.

I am thinking that I should put the OEM tweeter and 3.5 back in place and power the polk 6.5 directly to the door speaker connector and see if that gets the best of both worlds.

Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter. I would like to point out that I am planning on putting in an 8 or 10" subwoofer down the line, so I don't really need long term a load of bass from my doors, but I think it's nice to have.

I am left feeling really confused about what I need to do here. I definitely feel like right now my audio experience has taken a step back in my BRZ.
AlexTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
abutterman

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - WRB, MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I put a set of polk components in my old tc (along with polk 6.5 full range in the back and 4 inchers in the front as well) and had the same issue with stock power. I actually also had the alpine pdx-4 and once that was installed it was absolutely insane. Just be sure to get your equalization right and the levels right. I had the best luck with it with all levels on the amp set right around the middle. It was LOUD. like deafening loud.
abutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
AlexTheGreek

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abutterman View Post
I put a set of polk components in my old tc (along with polk 6.5 full range in the back and 4 inchers in the front as well) and had the same issue with stock power. I actually also had the alpine pdx-4 and once that was installed it was absolutely insane. Just be sure to get your equalization right and the levels right. I had the best luck with it with all levels on the amp set right around the middle. It was LOUD. like deafening loud.
So you're saying that once I amp it up with the PDX-F4 everything will get up to par?

Also do you recommend installing 4" speakers in the dash as well?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
abutterman

that amp will do wonders for those speakers. If you do put in 3.5's or 4s as well in the dash, try to find something without a tweeter. I made the mistake of using the polks with the tweeter and the highs were out of control. It took a lot of work to get it sounding right cause of that. Once i got it right it was unbelievable. I also had 2 8inch bazooka subs which made it more complicated but in the end gave it a nice full sound. Of course once i got it sounding right, hurricane sandy hit and took away all my hard work
Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
rmjjensen

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited in WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The stock speakers were (are) 2 Ohm and you've replaced them with a 4 ohm set. They will not be as loud on the factory amp since that amplifier's power output is matched to a 2 ohm load. You've basically halved the power output.

When you replace the amp you will get much better sound.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
abutterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen View Post
The stock speakers were (are) 2 Ohm and you've replaced them with a 4 ohm set. They will not be as loud on the factory amp since that amplifier's power output is matched to a 2 ohm load. You've basically halved the power output.

That is also true. you're probably getting like 6-10 watts rms to the speakers on the stock power. With the pdx-4 it's 100 watts rms per channel which will make a huge difference.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
AlexTheGreek

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjjensen View Post

Nice. Did not know that the stock speakers are 2ohm.

For those of you wondering about the math... Given that V=I*R and P=I*V, then P=V²/R. So power is inversely proportional to resistance given the same voltage. Double the resistance = half the power!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
AlexTheGreek

Garage
Quote:
That is also true. you're probably getting like 6-10 watts rms to the speakers on the stock power. With the pdx-4 it's 100 watts rms per channel which will make a huge difference.
Do you think I am damaging my Polks in any way by powering them with the original amp?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheGreek View Post
Do you think I am damaging my Polks in any way by powering them with the original amp?
No, the amp running at 2ohm will get less hot with 4ohm speakers vs the 2ohm, it's an easier load on the amp.

Also I'm sure the polks aren't as sensitive as the factory speakers, that's also why they are not as loud.

Most people's hearing is tricked with factory systems that are heavy in the mid range, so even with the new amp running them it will sound very different than stock, that's a good thing, but a lot of people don't notice/realize that at first.

Edit: To add to the first comment, running an 8ohm receiver/amp on 2ohm speakers, that'd be bad, to the receiver/amp. It could blow the speakers also if it introduced clipping which is very possible once the amp starts straining too hard.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
abutterman

Quote:
as long as you don't turn it up to high it should be fine. Generally, you want to get as close to the optimal power rating of the speakers as possible. So say these speakers are rated for 100 watts as the set i had were and you power them with only 10 watts, it will work but if you turn it up too high, the sound waves square off and cause clipping which can ultimately fry the voice coils. You'll hear it if it starts clipping though... it'll make distorted farting noises. with the 100watt rms amp you have, you'll be at ideal power and can crank it up to max and have a clean sound (from outside the car at least; inside will be too loud to tolerate)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
PatrickSAN

Drives: SWP GR 5DR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I purchased a set of door spacers and tweet mounts off subaru audio DOT net. The tweet mounts looked a little too rough cut and so I decided to fabricate some tweeter mounts from sheet metal.

Here are some pics:

I like that tweeter mount a LOT better than what I make. If everybody was as handy as you are I'd never make the dash adapters. Your version is clearly better, but people don't tend to want to DIY like that and I could never mass produce them, as every tweeter has different requirements.

The door adapter looks great in the car as well.

May I re-host and post these pictures? I'd like to recommend that people try to make your tweeter mount in the DIY writeup that I did.
PatrickSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
AlexTheGreek

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSAN View Post
I like that tweeter mount a LOT better than what I make. If everybody was as handy as you are I'd never make the dash adapters. Your version is clearly better, but people don't tend to want to DIY like that and I could never mass produce them, as every tweeter has different requirements.

The door adapter looks great in the car as well.

May I re-host and post these pictures? I'd like to recommend that people try to make your tweeter mount in the DIY writeup that I did.
No problem Pat. I work in an environment with a lot of skilled fabricators. I sort of outsourced the job to them Was not planning on it!

Thanks again for the door spacers!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
andrew20195

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Generally, you want to get as close to the optimal power rating of the speakers as possible. So say these speakers are rated for 100 watts as the set i had were and you power them with only 10 watts, it will work but if you turn it up too high, the sound waves square off and cause clipping which can ultimately fry the voice coils.
Not exactly. If you turn the volume up all the way, you will (most likely) push the factory amp into the range where the signal is clipped. The reason clipping is bad for speakers, is they move less, so there is less cooling airflow to the voice coil. However, to use your example, if you're running 10w of power to speakers rated for 100w, they really shouldn't be in any danger of overheating, no matter how badly the signal is clipped, though they will certainly sound terrible.

To the OP, yes, the factory speakers are 2 ohms, and the speakers you installed are most likely less sensitive than the factory speakers. Since you already have everything (I assume), hook your amp up and see how it sounds!
andrew20195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Amp those bad boys. Running Polk anything without the appropriate amp is doing yourself an injustice. Also, doesn't your factory radio have 3 sets of pre-outs? Why would you need an LOC? I would do an amp bypass, to bypass the factory amp, install the 4 channel using speed wire and RCAs.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote