follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #57
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I own 5 twins, with two on off the shelf tunes and two on custom tunes. The OTS tunes have been just fine. When I did my first custom tune (OFT300 with the vortech), we honestly had some times which were 1-3 weeks inbetween replies from Shiv. But, it wasn't my only car so it didnt bother me.

My second custom tune (OFT350 with the SBD kit) was a MUCH smoother process, with updated tunes basically every other day or so.

I still recommend OFT to everyone that asks me, especially for people newer or tuning or those who are happy with just simple bolt ons. Overall I agree he could use a few more employees but Ferrari's ain't cheap :P
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirsol66 For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #58
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
FWIW, I've read enough of these threads that I won't be purchasing an OFT.

Good for you!
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #59
Tysoncrosby21

Drives: 2017 Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got a beta tune email from him 3 months ago. Have followed up with multiple questions all to the same address he sent the tune file from. Not a single reply. I'm SO glad I got my OFT for free. I wouldn't pay 500 dollars to support shiv based on his recent track record with customer service and support.

Don't get me wrong, it's a simple, easy way to get into tuning the car. But if you have issues or concerns, good luck.
Tysoncrosby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tysoncrosby21 For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #60
Baron_T

Drives: 2014 BRZ
I have to tell you all that this hasn't been my experience at all: I had a problem with the mid-march software update to my OFT messing up logging. I emailed Shiv on March 20th, and he replied with a fixed template file the evening of the next day.

I'm a software engineer and understand how things can go, particularly at a small shop. I'm happy with this, and am continuing to use my OFT to lock in MAF values and such.
Baron_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #61
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
I own 5 twins, with two on off the shelf tunes and two on custom tunes. The OTS tunes have been just fine. When I did my first custom tune (OFT300 with the vortech), we honestly had some times which were 1-3 weeks inbetween replies from Shiv. But, it wasn't my only car so it didnt bother me.

My second custom tune (OFT350 with the SBD kit) was a MUCH smoother process, with updated tunes basically every other day or so.

I still recommend OFT to everyone that asks me, especially for people newer or tuning or those who are happy with just simple bolt ons. Overall I agree he could use a few more employees but Ferrari's ain't cheap :P
On a mostly stock/NA car i'd recommend OFT all day long..

On an FI car I don't think I could after using ECUTek (Mind you my SBD kit was tuned with Shiv before i went ECUTek). Proper overboost protection. Fast map switching, the ability to use an EBCS, the ability to re-puprose stock inputs and outputs (02, evap), aftermarket wideband integration (Especially with AEM's failsafe unit) etc etc

All useful things that help ensure a good running/safe car.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:15 PM   #62
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Hi guys,
Unfortunately, what keeps us busy most of the day (custom e-tuning support) cannot be done by anyone else other than myself. So it's not unusual for e-tuning customers to wait 1-2 days for tune revisions once a data log is provided. At any given time, I am supporting 30-40 e-tuning customers. Throw in a couple hundred tech support related emails a day and things are bound to slip through the cracks from time to time. This past year, we have set up a few high volume dealers to take some of the support load and that has been working out well. But with 300-500 new OFT customers per month, we are always in the process of evolving to meet customer needs. A perpetual game of catch-up if you will. It's not ideal. But adding new employees isn't always the answer when the support provided is often high level. In the past I have had to deal with the aftermath of "trained" employees providing wrong or confusing information to customers. For something as critical as engine management, I feel much more comfortable handing that myself. It's not torture by any means since I love what I do. But the downside is customers sometimes having to wait longer than they want to wait for a response.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
86geek (04-06-2017), Chronology (04-06-2017), new2subaru (04-06-2017), nunonuna (04-07-2017), perryair (04-06-2017), smg1138 (04-06-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017), Teseo (04-06-2017), zc06_kisstherain (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #63
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
Seems like now that he has his Ferrari he has zero f*cks to give. Its too bad.
Out of line comments like this are why vendors don't spend the time replying to requests outside of email. Just saying... That was a completely uncalled for connection.

You ever see all the OFT threads in here? Did you ever stop to think how one guy could keep up with so many people using his product?

The guy's company blew up and he is trying to keep up. I don't even use OFT (ecutek), but even I can see this guy is trying hard to keep up with the request load and maintain his reputation. Every issue I see people mention regarding OFT usually always gets resolved. You can't say the same for every company out there.

Cut him some slack, sheesh... Just my $0.02, but thats worth nothing on the internet of course.
200hp/tonne (04-07-2017), Chronology (04-06-2017), Glaedon (04-10-2017), new2subaru (04-06-2017), Qadthane (04-06-2017), Shiv@Openflash (04-06-2017), smg1138 (04-06-2017), Sypher (04-19-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #64
Chronology

Drives: 13' Satin White Pearl BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
Out of line comments like this are why vendors don't spend the time replying to requests outside of email. Just saying... That was a completely uncalled for connection.

You ever see all the OFT threads in here? Did you ever stop to think how one guy could keep up with so many people using his product?

The guy's company blew up and he is trying to keep up. I don't even use OFT (ecutek), but even I can see this guy is trying hard to keep up with the request load and maintain his reputation. Every issue I see people mention regarding OFT usually always gets resolved. You can't say the same for every company out there.

Cut him some slack, sheesh... Just my $0.02, but thats worth nothing on the internet of course.
While I agree with you on some points a few things I think should be added.

1. This is a community of car lovers, sometimes people vent, it's not up to us to say their venting is correct or not.*****

2. I think threads like this are a HUGE opportunity for the seller/vendor/guy trying to make a buck to respond to, professionally. As Shiv's above post said, he supporting 30-40 cars PLUS a ton of other things. Engine management is a huge risk and shit could go wrong, while I personally believe it's not anyone's business how you, myself or anyone else INCLUDING Shiv spends his money. If he wants X car that's on HIM.

3. This is a bit size ways on my first point - I think comments positive or negative should have some type of foundation. Personal attacks should be checked at the door, if you are unhappy tell the community what the ISSUE is. The ISSUE is not the vendors car, home or where he/she spends money.

4. Proper understanding of how this market works, you are NOT spending 300/hr for a tuner, you are NOT on a dyno. You WILL wait for CUSTOM work. Hell I am on ECUTek and worked with another tuner, I got my basic tune and spent 2 weeks getting SOLID logs, everything was noted for the tuner for them to have the BEST understanding of what I was doing. It took my tuner another 2 weeks to get back to me JUST to tell me they are reviewing, 1 week later I had my tune. DO NOT HAVE EXPECTATIONS like you are sitting on a dyno with the tuner in your car. If you want that, go pay for it.

If I was going to stay N/A I would 100% backup Shiv and his OFT. I know tons of cars that have it in my area, the owners LOVE it and it's at a price point for most people who want ECM/ECU management to reach. If you don't belive me check out the costs of other car ECU/ECM prodcuts. My Si on Hondata (K-Pro) was way more then an OFT and tune.

Ill toss another $0.02 in with BRZoomTX.
RS*R Sport-I w/custom spring rate / Cusco Front/Rear Sways, Cusco Diff Brace / Cusco Power Brace (Rear/Front/Upper/Lower) / JDL UEL Headers / INVIDIA Q300 Ti / Valenti Revo Tails and rear backup/ EcuTek / Moto-East Flexfuel / Moto-East E85 tune
Chronology is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chronology For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (04-22-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #65
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Hi guys,
Unfortunately, what keeps us busy most of the day (custom e-tuning support) cannot be done by anyone else other than myself. So it's not unusual for e-tuning customers to wait 1-2 days for tune revisions once a data log is provided. At any given time, I am supporting 30-40 e-tuning customers. Throw in a couple hundred tech support related emails a day and things are bound to slip through the cracks from time to time. This past year, we have set up a few high volume dealers to take some of the support load and that has been working out well. But with 300-500 new OFT customers per month, we are always in the process of evolving to meet customer needs. A perpetual game of catch-up if you will. It's not ideal. But adding new employees isn't always the answer when the support provided is often high level. In the past I have had to deal with the aftermath of "trained" employees providing wrong or confusing information to customers. For something as critical as engine management, I feel much more comfortable handing that myself. It's not torture by any means since I love what I do. But the downside is customers sometimes having to wait longer than they want to wait for a response.
Your reply to address the comments in this thread has sold me on buying your OFT when my new car warranty expires in the fall. 👍👍👍👍

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (04-07-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 PM   #66
EnoOnraefi

Drives: MY17 Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronology View Post
While I agree with you on some points a few things I think should be added.

1. This is a community of car lovers, sometimes people vent, it's not up to us to say their venting is correct or not.*****

2. I think threads like this are a HUGE opportunity for the seller/vendor/guy trying to make a buck to respond to, professionally. As Shiv's above post said, he supporting 30-40 cars PLUS a ton of other things. Engine management is a huge risk and shit could go wrong, while I personally believe it's not anyone's business how you, myself or anyone else INCLUDING Shiv spends his money. If he wants X car that's on HIM.

3. This is a bit size ways on my first point - I think comments positive or negative should have some type of foundation. Personal attacks should be checked at the door, if you are unhappy tell the community what the ISSUE is. The ISSUE is not the vendors car, home or where he/she spends money.

4. Proper understanding of how this market works, you are NOT spending 300/hr for a tuner, you are NOT on a dyno. You WILL wait for CUSTOM work. Hell I am on ECUTek and worked with another tuner, I got my basic tune and spent 2 weeks getting SOLID logs, everything was noted for the tuner for them to have the BEST understanding of what I was doing. It took my tuner another 2 weeks to get back to me JUST to tell me they are reviewing, 1 week later I had my tune. DO NOT HAVE EXPECTATIONS like you are sitting on a dyno with the tuner in your car. If you want that, go pay for it.

If I was going to stay N/A I would 100% backup Shiv and his OFT. I know tons of cars that have it in my area, the owners LOVE it and it's at a price point for most people who want ECM/ECU management to reach. If you don't belive me check out the costs of other car ECU/ECM prodcuts. My Si on Hondata (K-Pro) was way more then an OFT and tune.

Ill toss another $0.02 in with BRZoomTX.
I can say that as a former small business owner myself Shiv is holding up marvelously. Trying to keep customers, family and yourself happy all at the same time is a very delicate balance. And supporting as many customers as he does is incredible. Yea he could train someone to take some of the load but it would take years to do so properly... Do you want a tune from " the new guy"? I know I don't
EnoOnraefi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 PM   #67
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The internet exposes customers as d-bags more often than business owners.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #68
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
The internet exposes customers as d-bags more often than business owners.
This ^
Ghost of Akina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #69
brz11b

Drives: United States
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im honestly impressed with how active shiv is on forums, emails discussions etc. just my opinion. Ive had no bad experiences with the product people or services.
brz11b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #70
RedFRS4me

Drives: Firestorm '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
A few months back Shiv replaced my cracked prototype OFH that I bought from another member the same week I ordered from him while hooking me up with a discount even when I wasn't the original purchaser. He didn't have to honor any warranty or anything but he totally helped me anyway.

Every situation is different but give the guy the credit for the support Shiv has given for the 86/brz community. I love my tunes and OFH.
Qadthane (04-08-2017), tato.valverde (04-10-2017), why? (04-09-2017)

Tags
openflash, openflash tablet, shiv