follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Converting from Mitsubishi Evo VIII/IX?

I don't think this particular topic has been covered yet, so I'm curious about whether or not people have made this transition. There are some threads about FR-S/BRZ owners having switched from a WRX/STI, but despite the similarities on paper (four doors, turbo'd four-cylinder, AWD, a bunch of differentials), they drive VERY differently. Similiarly, there are some threads about having switched from an Evo X, but despite being its actual successor, the X doesn't have the same raw steering feel as the VIII/IX did. (There is no shortage on Evo forums of owners who went from a VIII/IX to a X and then wished that they hadn't made the switch.)

While the topic is open to everyone with knowledge on the topic, ideally I'd like to hear from people who actually owned an Evo VIII/IX, preferably a properly maintained bone stock one. While I don't mean to generalize, I've noticed that a lot of people who have driven someone else's Evo may have been driving one that isn't quite at 100%. For example, some people, even dealerships selling used ones, may decide to cut costs on things like tires and throw on something like Falken Ziexs, which can really dilute the car's handling and steering response. For those of you who follow that YouTube poster subaruwrxfan who reviews cars, he praised the white Evo IX that he drove, which happened to be bone stock (which is pretty rare these days as it is), but it had snow tires on it, as opposed to summer tires that definitely would have made the experience a lot closer to what it would be when the car were new and with stickier rubber. Also, while modded Evos can be beasts, its driveability can be affected sometimes, from the ride quality to the off-boost acceleration.

I only ask because I've toyed with the idea of a second car and still would consider this one. I've had a few opportunities to have some fun with an FR-S Series 10 on a very familiar road, while I also have two cousins who own one (one has an FR-S, the other has a BRZ Limited) and see regularly, so I've driven them.

So feel free to discuss... but again, I'd like to keep WRX/STI/Evo X experiences out of this one since those comparisons have already been made and are not really what I am curious about. Thanks in advance.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
BroDoYouEvenDrift

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I actually just replaced my EVO IX with my new FR-S. My EVO had a pretty standard street build... stock block, stock turbo, full bolt ons, cams w/springs & retainers, Grimmspeed 3 port w/ ECU based boost control and map switching (could switch between a 25 psi 93 tune and a 31 psi E85 tune on the fly), fuel pump, 1250cc injectors, etc. It would walk anything that wasn't a C6 Z06 or faster.

I loved my EVO to death. However I'm not 21 years old anymore and as much as I'm going to miss it I felt like it was time to jump into something a bit more civilized. The FR-S isn't exactly a BMW when it comes to refinement but it's miles ahead of the EVO. Less road and wind noise, a nicer interior, sleek looks, no park bench stuck to the trunk... On E85 my EVO got about 12 mpg on a good day... maybe 150 miles per tank. Insurance was ridiculous on it too. The savings on fuel and insurance alone are nearly enough to completely pay for my monthly payments on the Scion.

Honestly if I had both cars I'd daily the FR-S and make my EVO my weekend warrior. EVOs, especially the IXs are becoming quite rare especially compared to STIs which are a dime a dozen. Low mileage examples are still selling for over $25,000. I feel like if you daily drove an EVO and hopped into an FR-S on the weekends you'd be a bit disappointed. As fun as the FR-S is to drive the lack of any grunt would be even more pronounced after driving something with 300+ hp/torque for the previous 5 days. I know, I know the FR-S/BRZ handle and steer amazingly well but the EVO is no slouch in that department either.

As far as driveability goes the only times you're going to have issues is when people make stupid decisions when they mod them. I kept the stock turbo on mine because I didn't want to wait until 5.5k rpms to make any power. Sure you can slap a GT35r on it and have 600+ whp but that's only going to be fun on the highways or a drag strip. Torque is fun and the earlier you can make it the more fun you'll have on the streets. You should see the looks on peoples faces when you can burn all 4 tires from a roll in 3rd gear...

It basically boils down to whether or not you want a raw, savage beast like the EVO which will break the speed limits in any gear or the smaller, more precise FR-S which you can really wind out and slide around with at more reasonable speeds.
BroDoYouEvenDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BroDoYouEvenDrift For This Useful Post:
A6M Zero (04-10-2014), DeeezNuuuts83 (03-21-2014), exE36M3 (04-15-2014), P86RAVES (06-05-2014), Sonolin (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
DeeezNuuuts83

Thanks for the nice response!

What if you had stayed stock, and were coming out of a stock Evo IX rather than a highly modded one with that kind of thirst? Mine is still 100% bone stock (seven years and 69k miles later), and my gas mileage isn't so bad (which you can see in my Fuelly link below, and my mpg would be a little better if I didn't have such a short commute).

I'm also past that age (30, and possibly going to law school soon too), so I know what you mean, but I'm not really bothered by driving an Evo in terms of feeling too old for the car.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
johnnyfast11

Drives: none yet
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
im getting rid of my evo x(19mpg) for a BRZ(28mpg) and a lexus hybrid hatchback with 45mpg LOLOL

evo is great. but seriously. it pisses me off. i fill up every 4.5 days. f*ck that.

from now on i do not ever want to fill up until atleast every 10+ days. f*ck that! !!!!
johnnyfast11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Obviously, you love the car - so keep it. Save up some more money and get yourself a nice daily.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
BroDoYouEvenDrift

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Thanks for the nice response!

What if you had stayed stock, and were coming out of a stock Evo IX rather than a highly modded one with that kind of thirst? Mine is still 100% bone stock (seven years and 69k miles later), and my gas mileage isn't so bad (which you can see in my Fuelly link below, and my mpg would be a little better if I didn't have such a short commute).

I'm also past that age (30, and possibly going to law school soon too), so I know what you mean, but I'm not really bothered by driving an Evo in terms of feeling too old for the car.
Can't believe you have a stock EVO haha. That must feel like you're riding a unicorn into work every day.

I still feel like going from an EVO, even a stock one, into an FR-S would just make it seem too gutless. That said it really depends on the individual. Personally I'd daily the FR-S because it's a bit more comfortable, gets better mileage, cheaper to mainstain, etc. Where you have a short commute it might not matter as much. But I'd definitely still rather have the EVO as my weekend car. The only way I'd reverse my choice is if I added some forced induction to the FR-S to make it a bit more thrilling (not that it isn't already!).

My gas mileage on my 93 tune was pretty similar to yours but once I got E85 tuned the power became addicting. I only ran one tank of 93 every couple of months just to make sure the injectors and lines stayed clean.
BroDoYouEvenDrift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BroDoYouEvenDrift For This Useful Post:
DeeezNuuuts83 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm in a similar boat, turning 35 this year and want a fun car that emphasizes the driving experience that I can grow with without needing to be ballistic to be fun.

I had a lightly modded '06 Evo IX MR between two STi models ('04 stolen, and '08 loved the hatchback look). The Evo produced nearly 300whp (in Denver) with typical TBE, MBC and tune, and had budget coilovers and minor brake work. Anyways, power aside, I think the BRZ feels more like the Evo than either STi I had ('04 and '08). Quick steering rack, lots of feedback, and very predictable.

THe first STi and the Evo were both tracked often. The Evo felt sharp and precise, and when it broke loose it was very predictable. The STi felt like it had more raw grip, but it seemed more a surprise when it broke loose. Both felt monstrous compared to the BRZ, but I find the BRZ is such raw fun to drive that I don't miss the power. The CT9A (that particular Evo chassis) had phenomenal steering, but the BRZ is still better; a bit more feedback and feel. The seating position in the BRZ is perfection, I don't miss the upright sedan seating whatsoever. I do miss the 4 doors and big trunk sometimes, but it's fast becoming a rare nostalgia.

I think it's a great move as long as you know what you're getting into with less power and RWD, it's a much different beast.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
DeeezNuuuts83 (03-22-2014), exE36M3 (04-15-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 01:53 AM   #8
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I still want an Evo IX so bad

I would totally trade my FRS for a solid Evo IX with under 50k miles and little to no mods.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
DeeezNuuuts83 (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Anyways, power aside, I think the BRZ feels more like the Evo than either STi I had ('04 and '08). Quick steering rack, lots of feedback, and very predictable.
Definitely agree. I've driven my buddy's stock 06 Evo MR and used to have an STI hatch. The Evo 8/9 feel closer to the Twins than an STI, that's for sure.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
DeeezNuuuts83 (03-22-2014), Sonolin (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
reardrv

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I will say that after owning numerous Mitsubishi's and this being my second Subaru one thing that you will notice is a significant reduction in repair costs.

Unfortunately I went from GSX to WRX to Evo X and skipped the whole VIII/IX thing so I can't really give a good comparison against those cars.
reardrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
Obviously, you love the car - so keep it. Save up some more money and get yourself a nice daily.
I am keeping it, but I wasn't asking if I should trade. I was considering it as a second car and was just curious how people with more seat time would compare them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroDoYouEvenDrift View Post
Can't believe you have a stock EVO haha. That must feel like you're riding a unicorn into work every day.
Yeah... I find it rewarding to have stayed stock, though that wasn't the original plan. I think I was 23 when I got this one brand new all those years ago, but I ended up being between jobs for a bit a few months after the purchase, so I was more focused on just making sure the payments were being made rather than doing all of the mods that I wanted to do. So it was a blessing in disguise, since a bone stock Evo is pretty rare these days (and can fetch a pretty penny if I ever had to sell it), plus I've come to appreciate it in stock form and don't have to worry about problems with smogging it or getting followed by police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
THe first STi and the Evo were both tracked often. The Evo felt sharp and precise, and when it broke loose it was very predictable. The STi felt like it had more raw grip, but it seemed more a surprise when it broke loose. Both felt monstrous compared to the BRZ, but I find the BRZ is such raw fun to drive that I don't miss the power. The CT9A (that particular Evo chassis) had phenomenal steering, but the BRZ is still better; a bit more feedback and feel. The seating position in the BRZ is perfection, I don't miss the upright sedan seating whatsoever. I do miss the 4 doors and big trunk sometimes, but it's fast becoming a rare nostalgia.

I think it's a great move as long as you know what you're getting into with less power and RWD, it's a much different beast.
Good input. Glad to see comments from someone with similar experience, as most comparisons made on this forum were between the other cars I mentioned that drive very differently yet get compared anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I still want an Evo IX so bad

I would totally trade my FRS for a solid Evo IX with under 50k miles and little to no mods.
But even those will still sell for a good amount. Mine has around 69k miles, and every time I go to my dealership for oil changes (which were included in my purchase), the sales manager who I've known for a while always asks me if I'm ready to sell my car, since it's pretty easy for them to sell. The last time I was there (I think it was in January), he said he could easily sell mine for $29k. That's not to say that it's the going rate for one, but there is enough demand for it that someone would pay that amount.

But with regard to your second sentence... you'd still have to do the 60k service eventually, which is one of the bigger, more costly ones. So while I certainly don't recommend against lower mileage examples, if you found one with 60k or higher with the service already done, then you can save a little bit of money and have one less concern. I did mine a little earlier (I think at 56k, give or take)... it had the usual stuff done (drivetrain fluids, serpentine belt, timing belt, etc.) but I ended up also just having the water pump and spark plugs changed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reardrv View Post
I will say that after owning numerous Mitsubishi's and this being my second Subaru one thing that you will notice is a significant reduction in repair costs.

Unfortunately I went from GSX to WRX to Evo X and skipped the whole VIII/IX thing so I can't really give a good comparison against those cars.
Sorry to hear about your experiences. The GSX was always one of my favorite cars (especially the 1997-1999 ones with the facelift), but I remember how notorious they were for a variety of issues, like crankwalk, but I think the DSMs in general weren't the most reliable cars to have been made. The Evo VIII/IX seems to be pretty solid. There's a guy on EvoM (4RETECH) who has an Evo VIII with 420 whp and has something north of 330k miles. There was another guy (ODUB) who had an Evo IX and put on 180k miles in a really short amount of time, then he sold it, and it's still running strong, and he tried to buy it back but the current owner said no thanks. So reliability is a lot better than prior cars.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Draco_PR23
Fiebru

Drives: Scion FR-S and Integra Type R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I used to have an Evo IX MR slightly modded (over 300 who); it was my DD for about 2 years and I loved that car!
The Evo was totaled, so I took the opportunity to get the FRS. Once I driven more the FRS, I fell in love with the feedback and feel since it reminded me of the Evo.
I would like to get another IX but as a weekend car since I get way better MPG with the FRS (even now that is turbo) but I miss having a car with 4 doors and space.
2012 Spruce Mica Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
2000 Phoenix Yellow Acura Integra Type R
Draco_PR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Evo IX is one of the very few cars I could never really see myself getting rid of. I couldn't see myself doing that much to it either.

I became obsessed with Evo's when I first saw the Evo 6 in the early 2000s. Instantly fell in love. The 6 and the 9 are my absolute favorites. I would love to own.

Just in case anybody with an Evo looking to buy an FRS is reading through this forum haha
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
DeeezNuuuts83 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I became obsessed with Evo's when I first saw the Evo 6 in the early 2000s. Instantly fell in love. The 6 and the 9 are my absolute favorites. I would love to own.
That's how I felt when I saw an Evo IV in Who Am I many, many years ago. I just had this feeling that the car was for me.