follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #253
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarYasin View Post
I work at napa autoparts so I bout nearly get it at store cost

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk
hook it up!

send it over to NYC haha
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frs10 For This Useful Post:
OmarYasin (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:39 PM   #254
Euro7R

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OW-20 Factory Oil. I don't drive my car that much.
Euro7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #255
OmarYasin

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
hook it up!

send it over to NYC haha
Ok but u pay shipping

OmarYasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #256
frs10

Drives: tezla
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarYasin View Post
Ok but u pay shipping

ill def hit you up next time i have an oil change... unfortunately i just changed my oil
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #257
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Wow 12 pages but a good read
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #258
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
There is talk in the thread about camshaft wear due to Subaru having issues with VVT design, a video was just posted I guess this is their third revision. Now one thing we know is ZDDP protects camshafts, the SN oils are pretty darn low on ZDDP. I'm going to stick with my regiment of adding a 1/2 qt of 0w30 Mobile racing oil, its full of the stuff and compatible with Toyota 0W20. Only down side is cat damage when/if the rings wear out.

I can understand why so many here take redline 0w20 as its full of ZDDP, ashame it voids the warranty.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #259
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
There is talk in the thread about camshaft wear due to Subaru having issues with VVT design, a video was just posted I guess this is their third revision. Now one thing we know is ZDDP protects camshafts, the SN oils are pretty darn low on ZDDP. I'm going to stick with my regiment of adding a 1/2 qt of 0w30 Mobile racing oil, its full of the stuff and compatible with Toyota 0W20. Only down side is cat damage when/if the rings wear out.

I can understand why so many here take redline 0w20 as its full of ZDDP, ashame it voids the warranty.
Where's the vid? Is the wear specifically traced to lower ZDDP levels? I don't know, ZDDP isn't the be all and end all for anti-wear additives. It's just cheap.

There are new additives including organic non-metallic adds that don't show up in uoa's. Do you really think that someone that uses super low zinc Eneos Sustina is going to have additional camshaft wear based on lower ZDDP levels? I think the oil formulators are smarter than that. OTOH, Mobil1 5W-20 does use more ZDDP than the 0W-20.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf
And where are you finding find M1 Racing? I only see it on-line.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #260
mweidner311

Drives: N/A
Garage
Thought I would chime in as well.

Changed mine at about 7,500 I bought the car certified used dealer said they changed it before I purchased at the time 6,500 miles on it I put about 1k on driving it from Chicago back home to GA. The oil shot out like water I am definitely not used to 0w20 and for "allegedly" only having about 1k miles on it it was already caramel in color is this normal?

Usually with synthetics in my other vehicles it doesn't start changing color for a couple thousand miles.

Either way thanks everyone for the info from what it sounds like I'll stick to Mobil 1 0w20 (only $25 for 5 quarts at walmart cant beat that) I only drive her to the office on Friday and sparsely on the weekend.

LOVIN the car! Thanks again
mweidner311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #261
bluesubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweidner311 View Post
The oil shot out like water I am definitely not used to 0w20 and for "allegedly" only having about 1k miles on it it was already caramel in color is this normal?
As long as that dealer used an API SN/SM ILSAC GF-5/GF-4 certified oil, then it's fine. Different oils can have different colors from different additive packages.

-Dennis
Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #262
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Quote:
The oil shot out like water I am definitely not used to 0w20 and for "allegedly" only having about 1k miles on it it was already caramel in color is this normal?
Addressing only this from your post - oil color is not indicative of how "worn" or "dirty" the oil is. Oil holds particulates in suspension and this changes the color - it means the oil is functioning as intended.

Talk to someone running a diesel (like me) and they'll tell you that their oil is darker than a black steer's ass on a moonless prairie night after 500 miles. But its still good for 10,000 miles.
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #263
regal

Quote:
Thought I would chime in as well.

Changed mine at about 7,500 I bought the car certified used dealer said they changed it before I purchased at the time 6,500 miles on it I put about 1k on driving it from Chicago back home to GA. The oil shot out like water I am definitely not used to 0w20 and for "allegedly" only having about 1k miles on it it was already caramel in color is this normal?

Usually with synthetics in my other vehicles it doesn't start changing color for a couple thousand miles.

Either way thanks everyone for the info from what it sounds like I'll stick to Mobil 1 0w20 (only $25 for 5 quarts at walmart cant beat that) I only drive her to the office on Friday and sparsely on the weekend.

LOVIN the car! Thanks again

I agree ZDDP is old school and cheap. Problem with the new additives is you have to take the companies word for it, for all we know these new super molecules could be modified paraffin. Not saying they are we consumers are in the dark.

A bought the mobile 1 0w30 racing oil for $15 shipped off amazon, good for 2 oil changes to give redline additive levels. At $7.5 per oil change I can afford the insurance/piece of mind.

I may switch to the 0w30 catterham blend plus the racing oil additive. Need to get my oil pressure gauge installed when it warms up.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Old 04-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #264
mweidner311

Drives: N/A
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
As long as that dealer used an API SN/SM ILSAC GF-5/GF-4 certified oil, then it's fine. Different oils can have different colors from different additive packages.

-Dennis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMunchies? View Post
Addressing only this from your post - oil color is not indicative of how "worn" or "dirty" the oil is. Oil holds particulates in suspension and this changes the color - it means the oil is functioning as intended.

Talk to someone running a diesel (like me) and they'll tell you that their oil is darker than a black steer's ass on a moonless prairie night after 500 miles. But its still good for 10,000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I agree ZDDP is old school and cheap. Problem with the new additives is you have to take the companies word for it, for all we know these new super molecules could be modified paraffin. Not saying they are we consumers are in the dark.

A bought the mobile 1 0w30 racing oil for $15 shipped off amazon, good for 2 oil changes to give redline additive levels. At $7.5 per oil change I can afford the insurance/piece of mind.

I may switch to the 0w30 catterham blend plus the racing oil additive. Need to get my oil pressure gauge installed when it warms up.

Thank you all for your knowledge and input. Puts my mind at ease a bit then about the color.

Would it be safe to use 0w30? I do see others running it.I only drive it sparingly but when I do its 35 miles one way to the office cruising at about 85mph then stop go in lovely ATL traffic.... when I'm back around home though I do have a very heavy foot I would feel better running a thicker oil just leery to go against the manufactures specs...

I'm still new to this forum thing if I knew how to thank you each I would... sorry
mweidner311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #265
bluesubie

Quote:
Thank you all for your knowledge and input. Puts my mind at ease a bit then about the color.

Would it be safe to use 0w30? I do see others running it.I only drive it sparingly but when I do its 35 miles one way to the office cruising at about 85mph then stop go in lovely ATL traffic.... when I'm back around home though I do have a very heavy foot I would feel better running a thicker oil just leery to go against the manufactures specs...

I'm still new to this forum thing if I knew how to thank you each I would... sorry
Judging from uoa's posted here, as well as input from engine builders on this forum, a thicker viscosity isn't needed. Even some guys that have added forced induction run 0W-20's (although more robust 0W-20's like Red Line and Motul 300V).

-Dennis
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesubie For This Useful Post:
mweidner311 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #266
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesubie View Post
Judging from uoa's posted here, as well as input from engine builders on this forum, a thicker viscosity isn't needed. Even some guys that have added forced induction run 0W-20's (although more robust 0W-20's like Red Line and Motul 300V).

-Dennis

Its a catch 22. There are still a lot of UOA's with high copper as well.

If you read the vvt noise thread I recommend watching the video with the Avo engineer.

I can say my FA20 runs better on the 0w20. The vvt noise is a lot lower than with 5w30. But I admit I am still concerned for long time rod bearing wear with 0w20 so I'm trying the 0w30 catterham mix next oil change.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
The Following User Says Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
mweidner311 (04-11-2014)