follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Coolant Temps Running High

I have asked and everyone seems to say "have not seen an issue".
But, so far in the testing I have been doing the coolant temps on this car run high, don't know if it is a subaru thing or just my car.

But the dash gauge is not showing any movement yet when hooked into OBD2 I am seeing idle temps as high as 217F autox and track also showing peaks of 220.

I first noticed this on baseline dyno testing where the engine was constantly pulling timing because of coolant temp.

Can some of you autox and track guys run an OBD2 check on yours?
Keep in mind the temp gauge in the car does not move from middle whether its 190 to 220.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Did a track day at Laguna Seca and my peak logged ECT was 196F. Most of the time the car was in the 180s. My car is totally stock.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I haven't tracked my car but I haven't observed anything over 192F.

Is there anything blocking airflow? How old is the coolant/still OEM?

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Guillaume

Drives: Exige S 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I observed just that while stuck in traffic this morning...

Water temp would go up until approx. 212F, then start falling quickly to the "normal" 194F. It then starts to climb up again and the cycle continues.

Is it some sort of cooling issue or just poor regulation?
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
At the track this past weekend I never saw over 201 deg (70 deg and sunny air temps). My top speed on the main straight was very consistent between laps.

My engine is 100% stock, I was running 0W30 German Castrol, 93 Octane pump gas (probably 10% ethanol).
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
its a stock car no issues with blocked radiator. i need to check service manual and see when radiator fans are triggered. issue being, if its already higher, when I go and throw an intercooler and oil cooler its going to get worse.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
It is already established that a thicker radiator is absolutely necessary when you meet these two criteria:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car

You can check out the Tuned episode on YouTube where they track test team VCMC's turbo frs. Full blown offers a new radiator as an addon. Robispec has a radiator + oil cooler all in one package.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
It is already established that a thicker radiator is absolutely necessary when you meet these two criteria:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car

You can check out the Tuned episode on YouTube where they track test team VCMC's turbo frs. Full blown offers a new radiator as an addon. Robispec has a radiator + oil cooler all in one package.

where has this been established, sorry I must have missed the thread

I have FI, I track my car, I am on an OE rad, will share log data as I collect more

I'm on Vortech, so that may be different than TC or other SCs

All I have is a perrin oil cooler and small 5" fan to track in triple digit heat. You may be right , and data may prove otherwise, but I have yet to get there. What did I miss?
gem
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
johhnc479

Drives: White FRS, 2011 Cayman, 1986 944
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car

Thicker than what? Plenty of cars out there tracked on stock cooling without issue. Never mind, I think I misread FI as fuel injection, not forced induction.
johhnc479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
where has this been established, sorry I must have missed the thread

I have FI, I track my car, I am on an OE rad, will share log data as I collect more

I'm on Vortech, so that may be different than TC or other SCs

All I have is a perrin oil cooler and small 5" fan to track in triple digit heat. You may be right , and data may prove otherwise, but I have yet to get there. What did I miss?
gem
Are you logging WOT time and fuel consumption? Only reason I ask is that I'm assuming that you may not be as experienced as the faster guys here. Some of these guys have 15+ years of experience...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Are you logging WOT time and fuel consumption? Only reason I ask is that I'm assuming that you may not be as experienced as the faster guys here. Some of these guys have 15+ years of experience...
sorry what does my speed, or logging WOT and fuel have to do with establishing coolant temps baselines? also not sure where experience comes in, noob or not, a hot running car needs more radiator, same with the 15 yr experienced drivers car

a car not running hot wont benefit a bigger rad, was all I was getting at
its easy to say FI=get a bigger rad, but where is the coolant data saying so?
I have yet to generate my own, so thats why I asked

So I will run some logs and keep an eye on water-I think I am asking here-not making a fact,just not sure on the verdict here myself on 'needing a radiator'

I am sure, I WANT one, however!!!!
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
sorry what does my speed, or logging WOT and fuel have to do with establishing coolant temps baselines? also not sure where experience comes in, noob or not, a hot running car needs more radiator, same with the 15 yr experienced drivers car

a car not running hot wont benefit a bigger rad, was all I was getting at
its easy to say FI=get a bigger rad, but where is the coolant data saying so?
I have yet to generate my own, so thats why I asked

So I will run some logs and keep an eye on water-I think I am asking here-not making a fact,just not sure on the verdict here myself on 'needing a radiator'

I am sure, I WANT one, however!!!!
More fuel burnt = more heat to dissipate. A more experienced driver will spend more time on the gas pedal, burning more fuel, which generates more heat that needs to be dissipated.

This is, assuming, all other conditions are equal (cars, distance/time driven, etc.).

What I'm getting at is that a faster driver will overheat a car that generates less heat at peak output, while a less experienced driver may not have any heat issues in a car that actually generates more heat at peak output, because they TOTAL heat output generated by the less experienced driver a smaller amount.

As a baseline, our car averages around 3.7-4.9 MPG on track, depending on the track, with a 100% stock drivetrain.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (04-11-2013), orthojoe (04-11-2013), xjohnx (04-12-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #13
orthojoe

Quote:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car
O'rlly? Do you mean both criteria need to be met, or just one? I would agree if BOTH are met. The jury is still out out if it is only one.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
More fuel burnt = more heat to dissipate. A more experienced driver will spend more time on the gas pedal, burning more fuel, which generates more heat that needs to be dissipated.

This is, assuming, all other conditions are equal (cars, distance/time driven, etc.).

What I'm getting at is that a faster driver will overheat a car that generates less heat at peak output, while a less experienced driver may not have any heat issues in a car that actually generates more heat at peak output, because they TOTAL heat output generated by the less experienced driver a smaller amount.

As a baseline, our car averages around 3.7-4.9 MPG on track, depending on the track, with a 100% stock drivetrain.
Yuppers. You know you're getting better if you're overheating.... unfortunately. If overheat is an established issue with a certain setup, but you haven't overheated yet, then it's only a matter of time.