follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

View Poll Results: Edelbrock vs Speed by Design 400x/500x
Edelbrock 67 55.83%
SBD 400x (Complete Bundle Package) 22 18.33%
SBD 500x (Complete Bundle Package) 31 25.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijat12 View Post
I'm trying to pick between the two.

My car is DD for now (might turn it into a project car in 3 yrs - not sure).

My goal is to go FI while staying reliable and not spend too much (don't want to upgrade the clutch, injectors, etc) right now. Would be nice to be able to upgrade later if I want more power (not sure if I will want more)

It seems like Edelbrock is more reliable for DD. However, SPD owners are also very happy with their kits.

Edelbrock is a bit pricier than SBD500X (Complete Bundle Package) while putting out much less power. Their torque curves seem similar (might be wrong on this).

They both seem to offer everything for me to install (or have it installed)
You can add a 20 psi pulley for the Edelbrock for about 65 bucks.

All the sudden it makes more power, with zero lag, and a meatier curve.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #30
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
yup, everything I've seen points to the edelbrock kit being quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscentral View Post
If the edelbrock whined, I would have been all over it. Every video I've ever seen it is more or less silent. The Sprintex whines like an SoB. If I could get that on an edelbrock I'd be in heaven lol
Whine = noise = energy being converted into noise = less efficient
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Jaden (10-08-2017), Summerwolf (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #31
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd buy the Edlebrock because it comes with instructions
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-26-2017), JazzleSAURUS (09-27-2017), Somerandom18 (09-27-2017), Teseo (12-08-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #32
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have two friends that own SBD400 kits tuned by Shiv thru OFT and I, myself, have an Edelbrock SC that's tuned by Delicious.

We've done private runs against each other and we're running head to head against each other. Approximately 260/265whp on 92 octane.

If you choose Edelbrock, it most likely would be for: Reliable and significant power (even if it costs more than the SBD), you like control of higher power at any range of the power band, you want to keep your daily driving characteristics nearly the same, you have a fantastic powertrain warranty from Edelbrock is you use their CARB tune, and you want potentially less headaches I'm the future.

Now as far as the SBD kit goes.. Turbo BOV, mid-high end power, really good cost of the kit that has big potential for gains as much as the Edelbrock does, and out of all the turbo kits out there, it has a pretty good reliability factor.

At that point, it's basically supercharger vs turbo features, especially comparing two different kits that both are astounding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
86 South Africa (09-27-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #33
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by continuecrushing View Post
yup, everything I've seen points to the edelbrock kit being quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscentral View Post
If the edelbrock whined, I would have been all over it. Every video I've ever seen it is more or less silent. The Sprintex whines like an SoB. If I could get that on an edelbrock I'd be in heaven lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Whine = noise = energy being converted into noise = less efficient
Another way to say this is energy that could be going to the wheels gets lost in whatever's making noise. Think of a squeaky wheel... could spin faster/more freely if parts didn't squeak.

But there's still a faint whine that adds character without being obnoxious. Subtle reminder that your car is packing Eaton's advanced 1320 TVS tech.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #34
drew_kar

Drives: WRB Brz / SR S14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well now the 500x kit can be had for 2999... It really makes things interesting. I bought my 400x used and had zero problems thus far. Honestly, you can not go wrong with the edelbrock or sbd kit. As a college student, 1800 bucks for a used turbo kit was too good to pass up...
drew_kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #35
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijat12 View Post
That's what I thought initially until found out that the crash beam is there to protect you from minor accidents. Pretty much any crash under 20mph (correct me if I'm wrong). The reason why it's there is so you don't mess up your radiator and other more costly parts on a small bumper to bumper hits.

You can also replace the OEM crash beam with a drift bar which would give you the same or better protection and accommodate for virtually any kit. It also stays under the bumper just like the crash beam

I would say just spend the extra $150 on a drift bar and keep your original crash beam in case you want to go back to stock.

Once more, all of this info was given to me by far more experienced guys who have done their fair share of modding and I am still in my initial research step of the build. So If I got any part wrong, feel free to correct me

You might be correct... but my view is bit more simple maybe.
Toyota spend a ton of cash developing their cars (and all the manufacturers) - of which a really significant portion goes into safety.

Why mess with that?

Plus - if it is there for minor accidents I'd still rather have it there protecting me/my car/my radiator than not.

Just my opinion of course, but I just could not get any kit that required cutting the crash bar or structure unless they can prove (which they can't) that the drift bar is the same or better than the OEM part it replaces.
strat61caster (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #36
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
unless they can prove (which they can't) that the drift bar is the same or better than the OEM part it replaces.
If that was actually true Toyota/Subaru/everyone else would stop making those complicated heavy stamped and welded beams and just use the el-cheapo tubing on the drift bar and save hundreds of millions of dollars per year. It's a no-brainer that it's not at all equivalent.

I got rear-ended yesterday, without the OE crash beam my car would surely be totaled, with it there's a good chance it's fixable. Not to mention I suffered no injury other than minor aches.

Edit: when we're talking about a car that you drive on the street every day, or even just on a regular basis like on the weekends, it's so not worth it.

Last edited by strat61caster; 09-27-2017 at 02:09 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (09-27-2017), CSG Mike (09-27-2017), DAEMANO (09-27-2017), JazzleSAURUS (09-27-2017), PandaSPUR (10-02-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #37
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
If that was actually true Toyota/Subaru/everyone else would stop making those complicated heavy stamped and welded beams and just use the el-cheapo tubing on the drift bar and save hundreds of millions of dollars per year. It's a no-brainer that it's not at all equivalent.

I got rear-ended yesterday, without the OE crash beam my car would surely be totaled, with it there's a good chance it's fixable. Not to mention I suffered no injury other than minor aches.

Edit: when we're talking about a car that you drive on the street every day, or even just on a regular basis like on the weekends, it's so not worth it.
Totally agree.
Glad you're ok!
strat61caster (09-27-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #38
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
One thing for future owners to consider, especially those living by the dyno charts; research the area under the curve. If you're looking at this strictly from a "which is faster" you need only to look at the torque curve comparatively; The turbo hits its peak torque and generally will hold it. So even if the supercharger hits near the same number, the power you have EVERYWHERE ELSE in that power band will be vastly different.

Supercharger is surely more reliable if you absolutely just want to bolt it on and forget it. Great powerband if you want to have any level of consistent throttle control (try hill climbing in a turbo car VS a supercharged car; the torque inconsistency in the turbo car means you'll have an incredibly steep learning curve to overcome) but generally, perfect world and you have grip 24/7, the turbo car will be vastly superior with its wide torque band.

Also keep in mind, you -should- have a PCV side catch can with any forced induction. I'm sure if we were to poll the audience will blown motors (those who just didn't have terrible luck and were prepared) most of them likely had their fuel being contaminated with oil and their tune quickly became an explosive window-maker.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
sroby (01-14-2019)

Tags
edelbrock, spd, speed by design, supercharger, turbo