follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 PM   #57
Kris86

Drives: RHD Gt86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone ever painted these the same color as the car?

Just curious if it would look better

461hp on 91octane - JDL turbo GTX3076r GEN 2 - Mazworx CD009 transmission
Kris86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #58
Tenino

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Have rain guards been developed yet?

Had to swap back to my OEM hood this past weekend due to rainy weather. I didn't want to risk hydrolocking the engine with the exposed JRSC intake filter.

**Seems like some users have found a quick fix - (AEM 1-4000 Dry Flow Air Filter Wrap).
Anyone who used the wrap in rainy weather chime in on their experience?

Thanks!
Tenino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tenino For This Useful Post:
tofurun (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 PM   #59
tofurun

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
This may have been asked but I see where it says a reduction in under the hood pressure. So the need for something like hood pins are not needed for this set up? I know with a good bit of aftermarket hoods u need hood pins because the stock latch can fail due to more pressure pushing up on the hood and boom there goes your hood.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:22 AM   #60
zeal86

Drives:
Thanked 1,773 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurun View Post
This may have been asked but I see where it says a reduction in under the hood pressure. So the need for something like hood pins are not needed for this set up? I know with a good bit of aftermarket hoods u need hood pins because the stock latch can fail due to more pressure pushing up on the hood and boom there goes your hood.
No hood pins required.

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:17 AM   #61
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurun View Post
1. this reduces stress and 2. you're already on an OEM hood
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #62
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenino View Post
Have rain guards been developed yet?

Had to swap back to my OEM hood this past weekend due to rainy weather. I didn't want to risk hydrolocking the engine with the exposed JRSC intake filter.

**Seems like some users have found a quick fix - (AEM 1-4000 Dry Flow Air Filter Wrap).
Anyone who used the wrap in rainy weather chime in on their experience?

Thanks!
We have a NY client who uses that AEM Dry Flow Air Filter Wrap with no issues. We also have clients who have gone WOT on track and commuted 250 miles each way to the track with the JRSC kit + Trackspec vents in heavy rain.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #63
Tenino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
We have a NY client who uses that AEM Dry Flow Air Filter Wrap with no issues. We also have clients who have gone WOT on track and commuted 250 miles each way to the track with the JRSC kit + Trackspec vents in heavy rain.
Seems like there are a few different sizes for the AEM filter wrap... which one is appropriate for the JRSC?

http://www.aemintakes.com/air_filter_wraps.htm
Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 PM   #64
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Seems like there are a few different sizes for the AEM filter wrap... which one is appropriate for the JRSC?

Check out Dai's post. Both @dp1 & @DaiTT500 use this:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=76
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
Tenino (10-25-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #65
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

I currently use AEM 1-4007 Dry Flow Air Filter Wrap for going through car wash (with hood louvers) and for driving in rain.

I just purchased and will soon receive K&N KA-4508DK Kawaski Round Tapered Air Filter Wrap based on recommendation from @DaiTT500.

My AEM covers the filter well and appears looser than K&N - seems to me that more surface with AEM should allow more air flow while providing effective protection.
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dp1 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (02-22-2017), Tenino (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #66
Tenino

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Check out Dai's post. Both @dp1 & @DaiTT500 use this:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
I currently use AEM 1-4007 Dry Flow Air Filter Wrap for going through car wash (with hood louvers) and for driving in rain.

I just purchased and will soon receive K&N KA-4508DK Kawaski Round Tapered Air Filter Wrap based on recommendation from @DaiTT500.

My AEM covers the filter well and appears looser than K&N - seems to me that more surface with AEM should allow more air flow while providing effective protection.
Thanks guys, went with the K&N due to your suggestions on tighter fitment + half the cost.

Gotta love Amazon Prime - Same Day Shipping
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tenino For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (10-25-2016), dp1 (10-25-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #67
Tenino

I figure there are probably a few other people out there running their louvered hoods during fall/winter and may be interested in how the filter wrap performs. Here I am using the K&N KA-4508DK Air Filter Wrap .

The filter wrap seems to be a bit short in length but overall a very snug fit. The wrap will stretch the entire length of the filter, but there is not enough material to stretch over the ends of the filter. As a result, I shifted the cover to the left since this portion is closest to the leading edge of the Trackspec hood louver (most likely to be exposed to water).

As you can see in the picture below, the cover just barely covers the filter on the right side. I'm not sure how it will hold up over time as it may start working itself leftwards. A solution may be to use a long zip-tie to hold it down in place.

**Upon returning home and backing into my parking spot, my car stalled. (Clutch fully depressed > R gear > RPM's Dipp > Stall). Very strange because this has NEVER happened before... BRZ 13' ~ 25k miles. My initial guess right now may be that the filter wrap is affecting the A/F ratio? This may have caused the vehicle to stall?**

I currently only have 15 miles on the wrap but will be driving through a rain storm tomorrow morning. Will update how on how it goes.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #68
CSG Mike

Quote:
I figure there are probably a few other people out there running their louvered hoods during fall/winter and may be interested in how the filter wrap performs. Here I am using the K&N KA-4508DK Air Filter Wrap .

The filter wrap seems to be a bit short in length but overall a very snug fit. The wrap will stretch the entire length of the filter, but there is not enough material to stretch over the ends of the filter. As a result, I shifted the cover to the left since this portion is closest to the leading edge of the Trackspec hood louver (most likely to be exposed to water).

As you can see in the picture below, the cover just barely covers the filter on the right side. I'm not sure how it will hold up over time as it may start working itself leftwards. A solution may be to use a long zip-tie to hold it down in place.

**Upon returning home and backing into my parking spot, my car stalled. (Clutch fully depressed > R gear > RPM's Dipp > Stall). Very strange because this has NEVER happened before... BRZ 13' ~ 25k miles. My initial guess right now may be that the filter wrap is affecting the A/F ratio? This may have caused the vehicle to stall?**

I currently only have 15 miles on the wrap but will be driving through a rain storm tomorrow morning. Will update how on how it goes.
It's been raining in socal; I've been driving the CSG BRZ (and parking it) in the rain.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #69
FRS Johnny

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can water getting into the engine bay damage anything? Maybe the alternator? I have my turbo piping ceramic coated with a heat wrap on top of it and wanted to know if the wrap is okay getting wet from the vents? Car is outside everyday and CA's 'winter' is coming lol. Or would it be better to have two hoods one with the vent and one oem for those rainy days.
Old 10-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #70
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Johnny View Post
Can water getting into the engine bay damage anything? Maybe the alternator? I have my turbo piping ceramic coated with a heat wrap on top of it and wanted to know if the wrap is okay getting wet from the vents? Car is outside everyday and CA's 'winter' is coming lol. Or would it be better to have two hoods one with the vent and one oem for those rainy days.
You don't want water dripping on a hot turbo manifold; thermal shock can crack things.

2 hoods is likely best for you; you won't be going as fast in the rain anyways. The nice part with OEM hoods is that you don't need to test fit a hood swap; it fits perfect every time.