follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #687
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
They probably figure more M/T will go to enthusiasts who will appreciate the change, A/Ts will go to casual drivers.
The after market support for our platform is pretty mature. Anyone wanting sharper performance out of their A/T have plenty of options, assuming people are willing to throw money at mods on top of the cost of a brand new car.

I more feel for those that do not want to mod or are constrained due to leasing so would want more bang out of the factory package.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mim For This Useful Post:
Zaku (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #688
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Hmm can't tell clearly but does the car the black car seem like it's lowered because it has a different damper or is that more photo shop

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #689
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Looks like the 2017 is using the same head unit as my 2016. Yay me!

Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #690
wtrxprs007

Drives: 2006 Toyota Prado 4.0V6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just noticed something in that interior photo..

Look at the bonnet edge there. New orange colour for Subaru? You can even see the orange reflected onto the window and side mirror housing
wtrxprs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:28 AM   #691
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrxprs007 View Post
Just noticed something in that interior photo..

Look at the bonnet edge there. New orange colour for Subaru? You can even see the orange reflected onto the window and side mirror housing
You're right. I noticed that too but didn't have a second thought on it. Also is the 86 getting wrb also? kinda wanted it to be exclusive to the brz but oh well
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #692
wtrxprs007

Drives: 2006 Toyota Prado 4.0V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
You're right. I noticed that too but didn't have a second thought on it. Also is the 86 getting wrb also? kinda wanted it to be exclusive to the brz but oh well
I don't know but WRB should be exclusive to Subarus only. It's their colour anyway.

Wonder what June 12 will have in store for us
wtrxprs007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:36 AM   #693
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrxprs007 View Post
I don't know but WRB should be exclusive to Subarus only. It's their colour anyway.

Wonder what June 12 will have in store for us

The color in that photo is red. Just lighting and photoshop make it appear orange. June 12 is the reveal of the series.yellow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 AM   #694
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
The s2k had a power increase
Miata had the M edition and Mazda speed which were part of a same generation.
Also the NA miata got a 1.8 in 96 so it got a power increase
the RX8 got a power increase
the first gen mr2 went from NA to supercharged the in the same generation

ohh wait were you being sarcastic ?
I like how you subtracted the important parts.

None of these cars had worthwhile increases(20+%) and some of the ones you mentioned had a alternate model(SC MR2 and N/A still existed the same time)(MazdaSpeed and the base existed together). The BRZ/86 doesn't have a alternate model and Toyota and Subaru has said over and over no F/I.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #695
rastapete

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Side View Post
Looks like the 2017 is using the same head unit as my 2016. Yay me!
What head unit is that?
rastapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:01 AM   #696
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastapete View Post
What head unit is that?
This is the 2016 unit: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/27/2...#slide-3597910

So they may not be identical models, the new one looks much glossier, but the button layout is the same. Probably the next model in the same series.

Side is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Side For This Useful Post:
rastapete (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #697
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Well, sorry for the late to the party impressions but in short, for those TLDR: I am very satisfied with my Series.HyperBlue purchase and am very thankful that I am left with no real desires from this refresh.

Sure, Brembos are nice but I think I'll still opt for the STI retrofit.

The LCD gauge info gauge in the cluster is absolutely awesome in theory. But unfortunately, I hate how it doesn't fit to me. I would have preferred them to keep the info all in the one circular right gauge. Rather than having it cut into both.

I do appreciate the the new headlights having a more aggressive DRL look as opposed to the previous fish hook but I still think I prefer the fish hook look with an Always On Module.

Not a fan of the new wing :/ or new tails.

Happy to see the rear valence doesn't have the changes the 86 has.

Meh on the new wheels. Not truly a fan of either set of wheels (old or new)

Lastly, I will try to avoid starting a keyboard battle but I am so fatigued from constantly seeing the "where's the power" "OMG only 5 HP" "Where's the FI options". How many on this forum are professional drag racers? Or let me even ask, how many of you even open up to redline through every single gear all the way through your powerband? Don't get me wrong I am all for having more options. If they offered a more powerful option I would be happy for those who "need" it. If you really bought this car and are underwhelmed in the power department do yourself a favor and either go get another vehicle where having holding a pedal down pays dividends or invest in an FI kit. I don't see what you need more power for. Anytime I have ever needed to pick up speed to pass those minivans that often get brought up on these forums I drop the appropriate amount of gears and I am firmly ahead of them. This car is so special for the surgical precision it has in steering, cornering, and overall handling. It's a car built with a clear dedication to the finesse of driving rather than rough "let's stuff the biggest block in this open space that we can" that is so common in other cars that produce to power that so many say they "need".

P.S. for those interested in the head unit I hate to disappoint you but it's the same as in the 2016 and it is an absolutely garbage head unit. I am currently looking into going backwards and getting the 13-15 FR-S or BRZ head units. I can fill anyone in on the numerous amounts of problems with this head unit. Feel free to ask.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #698
Jordan Silveira

Drives: 2016 Subaru Series.HyperBlue #631
Well, sorry for the late to the party impressions but in short, for those TLDR: I am very satisfied with my Series.HyperBlue purchase and am very thankful that I am left with no real desires from this refresh.

Sure, Brembos are nice but I think I'll still opt for the STI retrofit.

The LCD gauge info gauge in the cluster is absolutely awesome in theory. But unfortunately, I hate how it doesn't fit to me. I would have preferred them to keep the info all in the one circular right gauge. Rather than having it cut into both.

I do appreciate the the new headlights having a more aggressive DRL look as opposed to the previous fish hook but I still think I prefer the fish hook look with an Always On Module.

Not a fan of the new wing :/ or new tails.

Happy to see the rear valence doesn't have the changes the 86 has.

Meh on the new wheels. Not truly a fan of either set of wheels (old or new)

Lastly, I will try to avoid starting a keyboard battle but I am so fatigued from constantly seeing the "where's the power" "OMG only 5 HP" "Where's the FI options". How many on this forum are professional drag racers? Or let me even ask, how many of you even open up to redline through every single gear all the way through your powerband? Don't get me wrong I am all for having more options. If they offered a more powerful option I would be happy for those who "need" it. If you really bought this car and are underwhelmed in the power department do yourself a favor and either go get another vehicle where having holding a pedal down pays dividends or invest in an FI kit. I don't see what you need more power for. Anytime I have ever needed to pick up speed to pass those minivans that often get brought up on these forums I drop the appropriate amount of gears and I am firmly ahead of them. This car is so special for the surgical precision it has in steering, cornering, and overall handling. It's a car built with a clear dedication to the finesse of driving rather than rough "let's stuff the biggest block in this open space that we can" that is so common in other cars that produce to power that so many say they "need".

P.S. for those interested in the head unit I hate to disappoint you but it's the same as in the 2016 and it is an absolutely garbage head unit. I am currently looking into going backwards and getting the 13-15 FR-S or BRZ head units. I can fill anyone in on the numerous amounts of problems with this head unit. Feel free to ask.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:15 AM   #699
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
I have a 2015 and would love to answer this question, but how do i find out? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Time to get under the car with your flashlight lol!

Look for stamped markings or labels on the shock body. It may or may not tell you the OE manufacturer. Pretty sure you have the Showa OE shocks tho.

When I bought Eibach Pro Dampers back in the day it had a Sachs logo on the Eibach sticker.

The way they are advertising the OE brands on the PP as if it automatically makes it drive like an European car lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro_Ja View Post
I'm not so sure about that. While, yes, they are available as upgrade items for MY13 and 14 owners, all the press releases and articles indicated that a "retuned" suspension (although, it wasn't always stated as "Sachs"-some did, some didn't) was standard starting in MY15. The update apparently covered all 86, GT86, and FRS models. No word was ever said about the BRZ. I have a feeling that these "new" Sachs shocks are the same ones the 86 got, but I am just trying to confirm.

Not that it makes any difference to me-I have an FRS and Bilsteins, lol. I'm just curious.
Sachs suspension was available as a performance part only by Toyota Japan. It was known to be a bit better option for the track. It was tested in 225 tires like the ones they promote now in the performance package model. Maybe they advanced a bit more the valving and changed a bit the rates because of the bigger rear sway bar. The new thing is that they'll be used now also by Subaru.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:17 AM   #700
Turbo95eg6

Drives: 2014 BRZ SWP LTD
Thanked 2,266 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
That double post doe
Jordan Silveira (05-28-2016), spike021 (05-28-2016), SuperDave (05-28-2016)

Tags
-20hp heavy body kit, 10/10 do want, 2017, better than the 86, facelift, more drag same hp, update, would bang (gears), zaku goes to ct