follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
EK_Golfer

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala FR-S View Post
If it is a clearly audible, but not loud, whirring noise like an electric motor under moderate stress, then I would say it is normal. Our 2013 Highlander makes the same noise under the same conditions and it also has electric power steering assist.
The buzzing/whirring noise is normal. I looked it up in the manual and it attributes it to the electric assist. I'll find the page number later, just look under steering in the index.
EK_Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #16
dad&sonFRS

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Thanks for the inputs
dad&sonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #17
Khalis

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine 86
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad&sonFRS View Post
Has anyone else noticed a cranking/screeching noise when turning at low speeds or at stand still? The car has close to 15,000 miles, and i'm just starting to notice this noise. I took it to the dealership, but they claim its only because the tires are firmly gripping the road. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
I had the same problem. Turning my wheel while on some sort of incline gave a cranking type of noise coming from the front passenger side. I took it to the dealership and pointed it out to them and they fixed it in a couple of hours. I had my dad pick it up so I never was able to confirm the cause of it, but the service invoice said this:

"Customer complaint about a popping noise coming from the front of the vehicle when turning and while driving on uneven pavement. Inspected wheel and found noise coming from lower engine gravel shield. Removed gravel shield and de-stressed numerous points on the gravel shield. Installed gravel shield and road tested vehicle. Found no more noise at this time."

Hope this helps!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
dad&sonFRS

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalis View Post
I had the same problem. Turning my wheel while on some sort of incline gave a cranking type of noise coming from the front passenger side. I took it to the dealership and pointed it out to them and they fixed it in a couple of hours. I had my dad pick it up so I never was able to confirm the cause of it, but the service invoice said this:

"Customer complaint about a popping noise coming from the front of the vehicle when turning and while driving on uneven pavement. Inspected wheel and found noise coming from lower engine gravel shield. Removed gravel shield and de-stressed numerous points on the gravel shield. Installed gravel shield and road tested vehicle. Found no more noise at this time."

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much! I'll definitley be contacting my dealership and will ask them to recheck the car and ask them to check out the gravel shield
dad&sonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #19
DeviantBlue

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks so much! I'll definitley be contacting my dealership and will ask them to recheck the car and ask them to check out the gravel shield
Did this work out for you? I am having the same issue now at about 20,000 miles. I had to remove a shield in order to install the JDL header and it is possible that I tightened the shield too much. My car makes the sound at low speeds, like when reversing to park in the garage.
DeviantBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So my car is doing this now as well, a popping when I turn the wheel past a certain point to reverse out of a parking spot or my garage. (I have to angle the car in reverse to clear the curb properly even with stock ride height lol). Has he source of the problem been found and verified and can I fix it myself?
Keenercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
So my car is doing this now as well, a popping when I turn the wheel past a certain point to reverse out of a parking spot or my garage. (I have to angle the car in reverse to clear the curb properly even with stock ride height lol). Has he source of the problem been found and verified and can I fix it myself?
Could be 1,000 things. Did you change anything lately? Do you have mods? Hit a curb or pothole?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #22
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
None of the above haha, I am about to put OE camber bolts in the front and have it realigned though. If it persist after an alignment I'll bring it to someone I trust I guess.
Keenercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #23
cebul

Drives: Gt86 UKDM
Just noticed that noise on my GT as well. I think it's something in stock's top hats making that noise. Is there any bearing built in or something?

Sent from SG Smartphone.
cebul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #24
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Electric power steering you should avoid having the steering wheel on full lock for too long as it might wear out the motor assist (i.e. waiting on traffic / parking lot while stationary).
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
cebul

Drives: Gt86 UKDM
It's not on full lock, it's on stationery when turning steering wheel, you got that stretching noise from front. Will get the video later.

Sent from SG Smartphone.
cebul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #26
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
My gf's RX300 does the same thing when parking the car but it's due to the hydraulic power steering pump (known issue).

My old Golf GTI also made the same noise during slow parking lot maneuvers and eventually got worse over the years, it was due to the front subframe bolts going loose (also known design flaw). I ended up getting a collar kit for the subframe, which resulted in a clicking noise with the top hats so I gave up lol!

Stock suspension and never worked on?
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #27
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
My car is the exact same way, when i turn the wheel to a specific point I end up hearing the tick, i just hope i can figure out the problem before it gets worse.
Hallo, sorry my car with 8500 km started making the same noise. Did you finally managed whera it came from?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #28
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Hallo, sorry my car with 8500 km started making the same noise. Did you finally managed whera it came from?
Posted on 08-07-2013. Also: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84783

Best bet is to make a video of your noise and post a new thread.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (06-11-2019)