follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
sickmint79

Drives: bmw
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
tomei type 60s dd / streetability / tracky tracky / my experience / loud

so in one of the 86 forums there was a thread about the type 60r and an uncatted system n/a with header as i recall, with some people saying oh it's perfectly fine for a street car and it's just your opinion and you're old if it's too loud. so i thought i'd put up my own experience to share on the type 60s, ie. s for street vs. r for race.

on paper i thought i made modest decisions - i was going for a light system, and an affordable system, and one that is not too loud. i ended up with:

swaintech ceramic coated JDL EL header w/cat
PLM 2.5" overpipe
PLM 2.5" catted front pipe
tomei type 60s

the overpipe could likely be designed better. it's titanium wrapped now to be gentler when rattling on shit, and it rattles less than it used to, although still rattles a bit when starting to go from a stop. the only time i had the rattle go away was with the above combo but with the OEM header and also with the sti engine mounts installed.

onto the type 60s.

i am skeptic any microphone system to record exhausts online plus what you're playing it back with at home will be reasonably accurate, certainly not in the case of potato cell phones. i mostly liked the tomei because it is quite light. as an added bonus, you can't see it with the diffuser in the way, but i track the car and get that shit hot and the titanium has turned into cool colors.

initial impressions:
i prefer the sound of UEL but will take EL any day for the better design
i'm not a huge fan of the exhaust note
without the silencer, the car is quite loud in and out
with the silencer, it's still loud, but it is at least tolerable

on the loudness:
i will simply not drive the car around town or the highway without the silencer in, unless i'm going to get gas.
i drove it to a track with it out once, at 80 it's not fun. i'm not sure you could converse with someone or if you did it would be like unpleasant loudness at a bar leading to a hoarse throat on a long trip. by yourself it's just an unpleasant note/loudness/harshness.
i remove it only for performance driving things, and was told at an autox it was too loud and they'd prefer the silencer in if i have one - an absolute must if we were at a venue by any houses/other people (this one was not)
people *at a race track* will comment on how loud my exhaust is - it is truly right up there to trailored track only cars.

not great audio here, but i do have lots of examples with the same device, so at least that is constant. it's a blackvue DR400G-HD dashcam (mounted indoors on windshield).

as a baseline, here is the car totally stock. not sure if windows down. driving from stops and 0-50 normal driving.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sox_u7E8E2s"]Blackvue DR400G-HD Fall Day Sunlight Test - YouTube[/ame]

now here is a video from a stop and me going to the gas station with the above combo, silencer out. can't remember window.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUqd0NMNt3M"]gas station - YouTube[/ame]

leaving the race track, also can't remember window sorry. please note i'm not really getting on this or blasting through gears. it's not slow accel but it's hardly going out hard or anything.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc7H8OaAjb8"]leaving track - YouTube[/ame]

this is highway crusing but now with the silencer IN, windows up
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pZnLBKx7w"]hwy cruise - YouTube[/ame]

how about really wrenching on it?

here is 3-4th example, car fully stock, windows down, on a race track; wind buffeting but obvious tire squeal. at 4 seconds i'm in 3rd and on the gas, i shift somewhere in there (13?) to 4th.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4DnazUj3U"]BlackVue DR400G-HD - 2013 Subaru BRZ Track Video Test at Autobahn - YouTube[/ame]

here is a different track; wetter day and my first time there. but full exhaust setup above, again open windows. shift to 4th at 23 seconds; in 3rd at 33 seconds to start the straight. into 4th at 44 seconds.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3LFVpPCfdk"]dryish track - YouTube[/ame]

some of the events i go to are bmw schools, where you have instructors and headsets. this is the only way to actually really talk to someone in the car on track, the only way someone is audible without this is me just getting off the gas period. even with the headsets they need to be pretty loud (not fun) and there can be feedback from the exhuast noise too, so i had a difficult time always making out what my instructor said at one event (device possibly had some problems as well.)

i'm not going to bother changing stuff around, and am happy with the gains this combo has provided (well, outside the PLM rattle) - but just letting you know what i thought was a modest combo (catted, smaller diameter options) actually ended up being quite loud. perhaps the tomei being thin and titanium is a contributing factor, i suppose it would make sense if single exhausts are simply all louder as well.

so that's my experience, and here's what you're getting yourself into!

Last edited by sickmint79; 06-18-2015 at 10:48 AM.
sickmint79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sickmint79 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
I also have a Tomei 60S and I agree that it drones pretty bad at "full" highway speeds, ie 80 mph. Though it is significantly quieter at 75 and even more quiet at 65. The trick for this catback is to keep your RPMs between 2500 and 3000. Outside of that RPM range, you're just engulfed by this boomy, unpleasant exhaust noise (it's not nice enough to call it an 'exhaust note'). However cruising in 5th gear at 45mph is silent. All I can hear then is tire, wind, and SC noise.

It sounds great once you're over ~3500 rpm, and it still puts a smile on my face from time to time, but if I could go back in time I would not have bought the 60S. For my uses (99% normal street driving, 1% autox/drifting events), it's not ideal.

Also, cold starts with the 60S are absolutely painful in my condo's shared garage, on par with the fat retired guy's Harley. I'm still waiting for my neighbors to complain.

Edit: for the record, my exhaust is completely stock except for this catback.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
sickmint79

yeah that is a good point on the cold start. it is pretty loud and rough, i usually sit the 30+ sec or so until it's more calm and smooth before leaving now actually. and there are periods of cruising along where it is reasonably quiet - it's just at highway speeds where it is less so. but that's only if cruising at 45 - getting to 45 is still gonna make some noise!

and i won't change it either, although knowing what i know now if i could go back in time i would have perhaps chosen something else at well.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's a personal thing. If you can live with it daily, bless you.
That would kill me after two days.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Everyone with their own opinion, but I have to completely disagree with you guys. I have the 60s and I love the sound of it! My exhaust is stock besides the 60s. I'm 26 years old, in my ears, it does not drone. Yes it's loud when you wot but I love the sound! It sounds so meaty! It has that nice rumble too at lower rpms, for daily driving.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Sphirit

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sounds horrible for me,too loud
Sphirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #7
sickmint79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. BRZ View Post
Everyone with their own opinion, but I have to completely disagree with you guys. I have the 60s and I love the sound of it! My exhaust is stock besides the 60s. I'm 26 years old, in my ears, it does not drone. Yes it's loud when you wot but I love the sound! It sounds so meaty! It has that nice rumble too at lower rpms, for daily driving.
at no point would i ever describe the sound this produced as "meaty"!

i would say i think it sounds trumpety. i wonder what it would be like if the last bit didn't expand?

do you drive on the highway? what speed do you cruise at? 80 mph is pretty typical around chicagoland, although i know this is different all over. i'm in minneapolis now and like nobody is cruising at 80 in the left lane here, 70 and you're flying... highway + 80+mph + passenger imo is probably the combo where this exhaust would be least pleasant.