follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #15
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspeed View Post
I would strongly advise against buying a used car that has been lowered. It's indicative of the kind of life it's had. Literally find a dead stock car driven by an old lady w low mileage. Then you can F it up as you wish.
not indicative of much actually cas. Lots of responsible people have lowered their vehicles. I would agree with you had you said, "buying a car that looks to be rushed/poorly upgraded/poorly maintained" lol

The owner behind that lowered car is much more telling... which of course is harder and harder to discern if the person you're buying from isn't the original modder/owner.
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koa For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
not indicative of much actually cas. Lots of responsible people have lowered their vehicles. I would agree with you had you said, "buying a car that looks to be rushed/poorly upgraded/poorly maintained" lol

The owner behind that lowered car is much more telling... which of course is harder and harder to discern if the person you're buying from isn't the original modder/owner.
I catch your drift. But I'm just saying it's indicative of it's life. You don't know if the work was done properly. And I'm willing to bet that the majority of the time a car that has been lowered or modded has been in all likelihood been driven harder than the Proverbial "little old lady's" car. IMHO
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caspeed For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (02-25-2015), Koa (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #17
gzpermadi

Drives: Toyota 86 Silver
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
How is your financial condition right now or do you need the space for kids or hauling your work?
If not then suck it up and keep your car until it's paid off. In 4-5 years the depreciation will reach it's lowest point I think.
It has been in accident and if it still not fixed properly then it will reduce the value.
You can return the car to the best condition possible overtime.
gzpermadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #18
dad&sonFRS

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
How is your financial condition right now or do you need the space for kids or hauling your work?
If not then suck it up and keep your car until it's paid off. In 4-5 years the depreciation will reach it's lowest point I think.
It has been in accident and if it still not fixed properly then it will reduce the value.
You can return the car to the best condition possible overtime.
Finance wise, I am in no dire need to get rid of the car. But i am finding it silly to continue payments on a car that has been of some inconvience hauling wise, while being fair and not considefing the winter headaches since i have not put winter tires on it
dad&sonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #19
Chanpion

Drives: 13 FRS Satin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you do get the Maxima, you'll remember all the great things you've forgotten about owning a normal car. Low end torque for streets, comfort, most importantly passenger space. Seriously, they're sometimes underrated.
Since the twin is only only car, ski trips really are not as fun. I miss having 4 people in one car going up to the mountains and the whole interior full of shouting profanities. Seriously miss that.
Chanpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chanpion For This Useful Post:
dad&sonFRS (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #20
dad&sonFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanpion View Post
If you do get the Maxima, you'll remember all the great things you've forgotten about owning a normal car. Low end torque for streets, comfort, most importantly passenger space. Seriously, they're sometimes underrated.
Since the twin is only only car, ski trips really are not as fun. I miss having 4 people in one car going up to the mountains and the whole interior full of shouting profanities. Seriously miss that.
I like this point a lot. The space is fun itself with the right company. Sadly where I live where arent much roads to enjoy the frs like it was intended
Old 02-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #21
Caspeed

Drives: FRS-RS1, Triumph Speed Triple, Lola
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad&sonFRS View Post
I like this point a lot. The space is fun itself with the right company. Sadly where I live where arent much roads to enjoy the frs like it was intended
I used to run into this when I was selling motorcycles. People would buy touring bikes thinking that, that's what they want to do at some point. The problem is that actually they end up doing short hops and ride around town while almost never doing a proper tour trip. As a result they have to deal with an oversized/overweight bike all of the time, in traffic. Not fun!!!

Always buy for what you are going to do 75-90% of the time. Then you only have to suck it up 10-25% of the time.
Caspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:33 PM   #22
MikeM7

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
But anyways i was wondering how much do you think i can get for the car at a dealership or some place like carmax which i hear gives you a bit more money.
To give you a comparison, I almost bought a silver 2013 FRS from a Nissan dealership. It had about 15,000 miles on it and was flawless. Not a scratch. They were asking $17,000. It was an automatic, but I'd have bought it on the spot if it weren't. In hindsight, I'm glad I got the BRZ, but I thought that was a great deal for a dealership price.

Considering trade in is already substantially lower, and yours sounds like it's in poor to fair condition, I'd not expect too much. You are better off fixing it up a little and selling privately. Make cost effective repairs, get it buffed and detailed, post on cars.com and autotrader.

Take it to carmax anyway to get your minimum value, and they will also tell you what specifically is reducing the value. I traded my banged up Jeep to carmax with several defects and got private party value for excellent condition, so you never know. Might get lucky.

KBB for fair condition
Attached Images

MikeM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #23
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Quote:
I have a chance to get a 5spd 3.0L maxima. Its lowered on springs so i would need to buy oem springs for the winter but i can get it for 2000$, whcih i thinknis a good deal considering it only has 110k miles. Since you have the expierence what were your biggest gripes of the maxima. how do you compare it to the frs for a daily car? Here in Nyc it is hard to find nice roads to really enjoy the frs on, although i do admit i have had a good amount of fun in the car.
Take a close look at the paint job because Nissan paint jobs suck suck suck (this goes for Nissans and Infinitis; they just don't know how to make paint a car in a durable fashion).

I know because I have a 2000 Maxima (that I'm looking to sell btw). Paint on the hood has sun damage like you wouldn't believe. Hopefully I can sell the Maxima for $2000 but I will probably have to settle for around $1500. It has 148k miles on it btw and I have to fix a power steering leak.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:42 PM   #24
dad&sonFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
Take a close look at the paint job because Nissan paint jobs suck suck suck (this goes for Nissans and Infinitis; they just don't know how to make paint a car in a durable fashion).

I know because I have a 2000 Maxima (that I'm looking to sell btw). Paint on the hood has sun damage like you wouldn't believe. Hopefully I can sell the Maxima for $2000 but I will probably have to settle for around $1500. It has 148k miles on it btw and I have to fix a power steering leak.
how do you like the drive of the maxima?
Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #25
dad&sonFRS

I like the deal i will be getting with the maxima. My uncle has agreed to give me the car just as long as i fix it. It has been in the driveway for about 2 years because the clutch and flywheel havent been replaced. so i figured with a heavy tune up, along with the clutch and the flywheel should only run me about 2 grand. Im getting a lot more for my money then i normally would for $2k. It could also function as a bigger daily driver that can deal with the winter conditions. I would just need to purchase a set of oem springs for the winter so the car wont plow through all the snow.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #26
idario

Drives: WRB WRX stink eye
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I wish the best to you. I will say this, since I have worked in auto finance; if you sell the car back to a carmax, be prepared to pay off the remaining balance of the loan. If not, your other solutions are either voluntary surrender or finding someone to assume the loan and refinance under their own name. You may already have this planned, but I figure I would say this in case any other people get the same idea.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #27
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Quote:
how do you like the drive of the maxima?
It actually drives really well because its lowered (Eibach Pro Springs), handles really good for a FWD car. Good power also, torque peaks early around 4000 rpm I think.

But the car is old as shit so you will be replacing parts left and right. I have to fix the power steering leak (could be a bad power steering pump), I think the CV joints are going bad because when I turn it makes a creaking noise. And my catalytic converter is totally wasted. I can actually start to smell the exhaust fumes..... that's why I want to sell it asap. Its a safety hazard. But I only have been using it as my backup car because I'm installing a turbo on my FR-S. As soon as the turbo on my FR-S is up and running and stable, my Maxima is gone. Actually can't wait to get rid of this POS. Don't mean to say all 5th gen Maxima's are pieces of s**t (its a great generation of Maxima in fact) but my car is not worth the trouble anymore.... and I never, ever drive it (had it over a year as my 2nd car intending to sell it but haven't yet).
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #28
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM7 View Post
To give you a comparison, I almost bought a silver 2013 FRS from a Nissan dealership. It had about 15,000 miles on it and was flawless. Not a scratch. They were asking $17,000. It was an automatic, but I'd have bought it on the spot if it weren't. In hindsight, I'm glad I got the BRZ, but I thought that was a great deal for a dealership price.

Considering trade in is already substantially lower, and yours sounds like it's in poor to fair condition, I'd not expect too much. You are better off fixing it up a little and selling privately. Make cost effective repairs, get it buffed and detailed, post on cars.com and autotrader.

Take it to carmax anyway to get your minimum value, and they will also tell you what specifically is reducing the value. I traded my banged up Jeep to carmax with several defects and got private party value for excellent condition, so you never know. Might get lucky.

KBB for fair condition

No offense but I absolutely love my AT Garage Queen on the Road Coarse. You passed on a great summer DD / RC car and for that money, I'd have two Queens.

To Dad&sonFRS, if finance isn't the issue. Maybe you buy a second and have a Garage Queen, just saying.