follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #113
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Exactly. It was one of the NASA guys who said about my mostly (except for engine-back + tune) stock power brz: "You've already got enough power to have more fun than is legally allowed" :P. When driven smoothly, this car slices corners VERY well. It can get owned in the straights by the muscle cars, but if it can catch up and get well ahead in the curves, then it's already at the end of the straight when the muscle machine gets out of the curves (hopefully). And if not, that's when you begin to add power. You just have to learn to be more careful with the throttle elsewhere.

Or, like I was told already: speed happens (when you learn to take the right lines, hit the brake points, and otherwise drive and input smoothly).
Or you can do this...

JRSC + stock suspension, tires, alignment, Winmax W4 brake pads, and RT700 brake fluid. BTW, this was nowhere near the fastest lap as we were monitoring coolant and oil temperatures on stock radiator without oil cooler. This is just @CSG Mike just screwing around just to show what the car is capable of with stock suspension, tires, and alignment.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r7EgQGxA4g"]Jackson Racing Supercharged BRZ Track Shakedown - YouTube[/ame]
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
KGB (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #114
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Of course, but the point is the driver is the key thing. SC or no SC, a good driver is going to be able to keep the car going faster overall than someone who isn't as good. And yes, stock suspension is quite good. That's part of what makes this car so nice.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 AM   #115
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmil95eg View Post
I specified install & tune.
You sound extremely understanding.
So if a shop installs a set of coilovers for you, and does an alignment, and you pull out of their driveway and your wheel falls off because they didn't tighten the lug nuts right, you'll just chalk that up to, "I didn't pay for a warranty or free labor on anything that may go wrong" and take care of it?

In my opinion, that's exactly the same as paying for a tune and getting a car that runs like sh!t, or not at all, or with chronic problems. It isn't right. And it's not the customers responsibility to make it right if that's what they paid for in the first place.

I'm sure you must agree, at least to some degree. And if not, I'll happily sell you a tune for your M3. My tune might not run right, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
You have a very naive perception of the real world. Sure, it isn't "right" but what percentage of the business world is? When it comes down to money, you think a shop is just going to lose it by endlessly troubleshooting your car or replacing parts? No, they'll make up excuses and chalk it off to the failure somehow being your fault to cover their own ass. Dealerships do it all the time, what do you think small shops are going to do? You haven't been on this forum very long, have you? Heard of FA20Club? I wonder what @Frs300 thinks of your theory when his car sat like a pile of shit in the corner of the shop for a year. Then what? You sue them, and ride your bicycle to work while you wait for the judgment? The OP doesn't know the difference between an oil cooler and an intercooler, you think he's ready to mod FI?
Perrin CAI|Perrin MCB|P&L header|Motiv OP/FP|MXP catback|Tein Type Flex coilovers|Eibach F/R sway bars|GS front strut brace|Street:PM HC+800/Track:Carbotech XP10|StopTech slotted rotors/SS lines|SBC RPF1s|Street:FK453/Winter:Pirelli SottoZero3/Track:Toyo R888s|Leg Sport rear spoiler|EcuTek Tuned|OEM oil cooler|4th/F1 brake lights
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #116
KGB

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quick question guys. If I decide to get Jackson Supercharger do you think ill need to get the oil cooler with it. I live in Vancouver so the weather doesn't really get to hot here and im not goin to be taking the car on the track.
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KGB For This Useful Post:
andrewFT86 (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 08:51 AM   #117
scmil95eg

Drives: '95 delSol, '13 EvoX, '14 Leaf
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR 86 View Post
You have a very naive perception of the real world. Sure, it isn't "right" but what percentage of the business world is? When it comes down to money, you think a shop is just going to lose it by endlessly troubleshooting your car or replacing parts? No, they'll make up excuses and chalk it off to the failure somehow being your fault to cover their own ass. Dealerships do it all the time, what do you think small shops are going to do? You haven't been on this forum very long, have you? Heard of FA20Club? I wonder what @Frs300 thinks of your theory when his car sat like a pile of shit in the corner of the shop for a year. Then what? You sue them, and ride your bicycle to work while you wait for the judgment? The OP doesn't know the difference between an oil cooler and an intercooler, you think he's ready to mod FI?
I've worked in this industry for over 14 years now, my job is to give advice to engineers, professional race teams, and manufacturers throughout this industry. Some of my best personal friends have their own shops. I've personally installed 2 s/c kits and reflashed 2 fr-s' (neither car with problems I might add). While I'll never name drop or post a resume for e-cred on a forum, I think I'm qualified enough to say - I know how it goes. On all sides of the table.

The fr-s is a great car, and the fuel delivery is unique, but it's not some physics defying machine that requires an advanced engineering degree to own. Or work on. When the K-series was released, the Honda world was the same way for a couple years, "It's maxed out from the factory, VTC + VTEC!?, multiple fuel & spark maps! - no one will be able to modify these." When the GT-R came out, the Nissan world was the same way again for the first couple years. "It's too advanced to modify :scared:"

In another 12 to 18 months, perceptions about modifying these cars will be different. Right now, it's still too new.

But if you're using that as an excuse to accept shoddy work from a shop, well then that sucks for you. Because you shouldn't.
scmil95eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #118
Boxer486
Banned

Drives: small
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
The fr-s is a great car, and the fuel delivery is unique, but it's not some physics defying machine that requires an advanced engineering degree to own. Or work on. When the K-series was released, the Honda world was the same way for a couple years, "It's maxed out from the factory, VTC + VTEC!?, multiple fuel & spark maps! - no one will be able to modify these." When the GT-R came out, the Nissan world was the same way again for the first couple years. "It's too advanced to modify :scared:"
You're talking about something different from what this thread is about.

We are talking about someone going for aftermarket FI who might not know how a basic 4-cycle internal combustion engine works yet expects solid reliability and low maintenance.

Advanced engineers figuring out how to tune Vtec is a different thread, thx.
Boxer486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #119
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Quick question guys. If I decide to get Jackson Supercharger do you think ill need to get the oil cooler with it. I live in Vancouver so the weather doesn't really get to hot here and im not goin to be taking the car on the track.
Oil cooler kit for FI is pretty much a must. In 3 pulls on any setup, you'll notice significant changes in power delivery with each successive pull. These cars run the oil pretty hot.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
KGB (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #120
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Have you ever watched your oil temps?

Try sitting on the highway in 3rd or 4th gear at ~65mph, and watch how quickly the oil temps go up.

Now, let the oil cool down completely, and then do some WOT pulls from 1st to 3rd.

The numbers you see will be enough to convince you.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
buddy32 (06-29-2014), KGB (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #121
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
you can be in a innovate SC kit for 4k for everything needed... and really easy to install, unless you want big power later... then go turbo.

I have had the supercharger on for over 5k miles now and no issues, you do have to keep an eye on the fluid level every so often, but other than that its maintenance free. Turbo's can be just as reliable, but often more expensive because they force you to replace exhaust and some other components whereas the supercharger does not require an exhaust change nor really anything else
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #122
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post
you can be in a innovate SC kit for 4k for everything needed... and really easy to install, unless you want big power later... then go turbo.

I have had the supercharger on for over 5k miles now and no issues, you do have to keep an eye on the fluid level every so often, but other than that its maintenance free. Turbo's can be just as reliable, but often more expensive because they force you to replace exhaust and some other components whereas the supercharger does not require an exhaust change nor really anything else

You didn't need to grind anything to get the Innovate to fit? I thought there were some issues with some pulleys not running true and possibly wearing out or breaking belts?
Old 06-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #123
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
You didn't need to grind anything to get the Innovate to fit? I thought there were some issues with some pulleys not running true and possibly wearing out or breaking belts?
never broken a belt... and yes I did have to grind a bracket... takes 1 minute and is no big deal.
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #124
Boxer486
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE View Post
never broken a belt... and yes I did have to grind a bracket... takes 1 minute and is no big deal.

Well, I didn't ask if you personally broke a belt. I thought others had though, some repeatedly.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #125
KGB

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
thanks guys. I decides that ill get a supercharger. I looked at a bunch and narrowed it down to Kraftwerks and Jackson SC, they seem like they are more reliable though a quite a bit more expensive. Any suggestions? how reliable is innovative SC compared to these?
KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:07 AM   #126
DR 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I've worked in this industry for over 14 years now, my job is to give advice to engineers, professional race teams, and manufacturers throughout this industry. Some of my best personal friends have their own shops. I've personally installed 2 s/c kits and reflashed 2 fr-s' (neither car with problems I might add). While I'll never name drop or post a resume for e-cred on a forum, I think I'm qualified enough to say - I know how it goes. On all sides of the table.

In another 12 to 18 months, perceptions about modifying these cars will be different. Right now, it's still too new.

But if you're using that as an excuse to accept shoddy work from a shop, well then that sucks for you. Because you shouldn't.
I think you should read carefully, there's no perceived fear of modifying these cars or claiming the need for advanced physics degrees here. The issue is with the OP. He probably doesn't even know how to change his own oil and he wants to mess with aftermarket FI after clearly buying the wrong car for his needs (will never track, all straight roads, needs MOAR power to pull on mini-vans while using his stock 217 Prius tires). What he needs is to learn some basics first or stick with OEM.I can install an SC, or a turbo kit for that matter, on jack stands on my driveway. It's called bolt-on for a reason. And even without name dropping, nice job on establishing your "e-cred". Try for a little more subtlety next time. Really, wow you reflashed two whole FR-S without any problems? Is that supposed to be impressive?

No accepting shoddy work is one thing; if you're going to play with modding cars, you best be able to do it yourself, or not need the car for DDing, neither of which fits the bill of the OP.
Perrin CAI|Perrin MCB|P&L header|Motiv OP/FP|MXP catback|Tein Type Flex coilovers|Eibach F/R sway bars|GS front strut brace|Street:PM HC+800/Track:Carbotech XP10|StopTech slotted rotors/SS lines|SBC RPF1s|Street:FK453/Winter:Pirelli SottoZero3/Track:Toyo R888s|Leg Sport rear spoiler|EcuTek Tuned|OEM oil cooler|4th/F1 brake lights
DR 86 is offline   Reply With Quote