follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
Diamond

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
UEL Headers by themselves?

Hello! Just bought my 2013 FR-S about 2 weeks ago, already am starting to dislike how quiet the current exhaust setup is, so I want to give it a teeeeeny tiny bit more oomph.

I'm fairly new to modding as well so I had a few questions. I don't really want to dump too much money into the exhaust system so I figured I was just going to get Tomei UEL headers and leave the rest of the exhaust stock for now. Is this recommended? To my knowledge the majority of the performance gains would be coming from the headers anyway, and doing this would bring the subie rumble to life, which would really be sufficient as far as sound goes. Do I need a catback as well to even notice a difference? Thanks in advance!
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Do also ecu tune, for more gains out of aftermarket header & to disable cat readiness checks to not throw CEL (as i guess you mentioned header is catless, right?).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:19 AM   #3
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The Tomei uel header is catless.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 AM   #4
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
Hello! Just bought my 2013 FR-S about 2 weeks ago, already am starting to dislike how quiet the current exhaust setup is, so I want to give it a teeeeeny tiny bit more oomph.

I'm fairly new to modding as well so I had a few questions. I don't really want to dump too much money into the exhaust system so I figured I was just going to get Tomei UEL headers and leave the rest of the exhaust stock for now. Is this recommended? To my knowledge the majority of the performance gains would be coming from the headers anyway, and doing this would bring the subie rumble to life, which would really be sufficient as far as sound goes. Do I need a catback as well to even notice a difference? Thanks in advance!
I'd recommend a tune with it.

PM me to order.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Always combine header and tune if you can afford it.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Hello Diamond and welcome to our forum ….

Have you considered just a simple cat back or axle back muffler .. ??

That would give you some more sound and it would sound like your car has more oomph.

That way you're not messing with the smog control stuff on the car and you wouldn't need a tune.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Seems like your main concern is sound.
- I can attest to you that with just Header and stock everything else, you will notice a difference when accelerating and on heavy throttle. Won't be loud, but will have that rumble.
- During light throttle, you can still tell it's there but it's quiet and most non-car people will not be able to tell.
- During warm idling, you will not be able to notice anything.

There are various sound clips on Youtube of UEL & stock exhaust.

BTW, I would also agree to get a tune with it. If cost is your concern, You can grab an OFT used for $400 on the sale section. Someone also sold a used Tomei UEL for $450 recently, so you can expect somewhere between 450-700 used for a UEL.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 AM   #8
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I was running a UEL with and without a ECU tune and stock exhaust. Running the UEL without the tune I would get a CEL every so often and get backfires every time I shifted to 3rd gear. With the tune, the car felt way way more responsive and the exhaust noise was the same. Either way, if you're running the stock exhaust, you won't hear it unless you get on it.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #9
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get a muffler delete. No hp/tq gains but cheap and easy. Not super loud unless you get on it.
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

I originally installed a JDL UEL catless header, 2.5" OP, and a catted & resonated FP with the stock catback. In my opinion, a catless header + stock catback sounds a bit farty.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote