follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #1
oppiee

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Red)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
whiteline front endlink adjustment

Hey guys,

So i installed the front whiteline endlink without thinking too much about adjustment (oem ones were stripped)

Everything is mounted, but I get a clunk when i drive. Looking at it underload the upper stud looks to be pointing upwards so probably not adjusted properly.

Can this be adjusted while the endlink is mounted? If so how?

Thanks!
oppiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
The clunk you are hearing is the end link mounting bolt floating in the hole on the sway bar. This happens when the sway bar reaches the zero load point. You need to properly tighten the end links to the sway bar. To do this, you need to jack the whole front end of the car off the ground and tighten all of the endlink mounts completely. (please use jack stands if you are going to be under the car). Ideally, you want to zero out the preload on the roll bar by adjusting the end link length. This must be done with the suspension loaded. (car must be on the ground).

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
oppiee

I am a noob when it comes to this. So first re torque the nuts and studs and see if it still clunks?

In terms of length, I don't even actually know how to adjust this

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
The clunk you are hearing is the end link mounting bolt floating in the hole on the sway bar. This happens when the sway bar reaches the zero load point. You need to properly tighten the end links to the sway bar. To do this, you need to jack the whole front end of the car off the ground and tighten all of the endlink mounts completely. (please use jack stands if you are going to be under the car). Ideally, you want to zero out the preload on the roll bar by adjusting the end link length. This must be done with the suspension loaded. (car must be on the ground).
Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppiee View Post
I am a noob when it comes to this. So first re torque the nuts and studs and see if it still clunks?

In terms of length, I don't even actually know how to adjust this
Yes, but you need to tighten them with no load on the suspension. This is why I said to lift the front of the car off the ground.

To eliminate the preload on the end links, you need to have the car on the ground so that the suspension is loaded. You then need to loosen the black lock nuts on the end links, and rotate the inner gold section of the end link until there is minimal resistance. Once you get there, you need to set the black lock nuts again.

Read through some of these threads for more info: https://www.google.com/search?q=zero...w.ft86club.com

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
oppiee (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
oppiee

Gotcha. Thanks I will try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
Yes, but you need to tighten them with no load on the suspension. This is why I said to lift the front of the car off the ground.

To eliminate the preload on the end links, you need to have the car on the ground so that the suspension is loaded. You then need to loosen the black lock nuts on the end links, and rotate the inner gold section of the end link until there is minimal resistance. Once you get there, you need to set the black lock nuts again.

Read through some of these threads for more info: https://www.google.com/search?q=zero...w.ft86club.com
The Following User Says Thank You to oppiee For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 12:23 AM   #6
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Garage
You will need 2 19MM open ended wrenches to adjust the preload on the end links. One to hold the inner gold body while you loosen/tighten the black lock nuts, the other to loosen/tighten the black lock nuts.

The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
oppiee (04-23-2018)