follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
SugarBrz

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Subaru BRZ

I just wanted to show you my build after longtime of just reading in this Forum.

I bought my BRZ after looking for an S2000 in Germany and finding out that I had to spend a lot of money for an decent S2000. So I came to the conclusion to buy instead an Subaru BRZ and modify it slighty for backroad driving and some funlaps on the Nürburgring, which is close to my place.

So I will just add some pics of my car starting with the first mods and changes up to the actual appearance.

2016:

Before I could pick up the car I ordered an ducktail spoiler and Valenti Taillights. Only few months later I installed a ST XTA Coilovers with an set of wheels 8x18 Et35 with Hankook 225/40 R18 and a 13 Row Setrab Oil cooler Kit.

[IMG]url=https://abload.de/image.php?img=imagex1sw0.jpeg][/url][/IMG]

Last edited by SugarBrz; 12-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (12-31-2019), Dirty Harry (12-31-2019), ElijahF (12-23-2019), HaXx (01-02-2020), JD001 (12-23-2019), p1l0t (12-18-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #2
SugarBrz

After driving my BRZ with 18" wheels I recognized that going back to wider 17" would be better. So I ordered a set of cheap fake JapanRacing JR in 9x17 with Federal RS-R595R and bought a D2 Big brake Kit.

After my first lap on the Nordschleife, I ordered a pair of Recaro Pole Position with Schroth Rallye Seat Belts.

2018/2019

I decided to supercharge my car, since in Germany we have only one company who has done the emmission test for the HKS Supercharger Kit V3.

So I choosed the optionto let them install everything together with an HKS Oil cooler, Sachs Performance Clutch and do the paperwork.

The HKS Kit worked fine with the stock engine who had only 20k km on the odometer but I was missing the boxer rumble so I decided to install an catted JDL UEL Header.

Unfortunatly the catalyzer lasted only 20km and melted to one part causing a major engine failure. Furthermore this happened also to a friend of mine, we ordered them together in the US to share the shipping costs.

After that I decided to build up the engine with the following parts:

- FA20T Rods
- APR Head Studs
- HKS Head Gasket
- 750cc Injectors
- Toda Oil Pump Upgrade
- OEM Header with 100 Cell HJS Catalyzer
- Verus Engineering Hood Vents

This is how my BRZ looks now

[IMG][/IMG]
Got Wedssport TC105N with 245/40R17

[IMG][/IMG]

Interior

Last edited by SugarBrz; 01-03-2020 at 06:46 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
beltax90 (11-21-2020), Boccaccio (01-03-2020), Dirty Harry (12-31-2019), ElijahF (12-23-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 02:55 AM   #3
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
That sucks about the engine failure. I assume insurance wouldn’t cover it? Good on you for sticking with the platform.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
pogofx

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBrz View Post

Unfortunatly the catalyzer lasted only 20km and melted to one part causing a major engine failure. Furthermore this happened also to a friend of mine, we ordered them together in the US to share the shipping costs.

So what exactly happened? Inside of the high flow cat on the JDL header melted and caused an engine failure somehow? Or am I misunderstanding? Just curious, I have a catted UEL header and just installed a JRSC and never thought of the cat leading to a problem.

Sorry for the loss, and another thumbs up for sticking with it.
pogofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogofx View Post
So what exactly happened? Inside of the high flow cat on the JDL header melted and caused an engine failure somehow? Or am I misunderstanding? Just curious, I have a catted UEL header and just installed a JRSC and never thought of the cat leading to a problem.

Sorry for the loss, and another thumbs up for sticking with it.
If his AF/Rs were lean causing very high EGT ( mixed with presumably extremely high engine load for long duration on the Nurburgring)it could lead to this result. I think the real issue is the extended high engine load in his case, superheating the cat material
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #6
SugarBrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
If his AF/Rs were lean causing very high EGT ( mixed with presumably extremely high engine load for long duration on the Nurburgring)it could lead to this result. I think the real issue is the extended high engine load in his case, superheating the cat material
Actually no high engine load or an round on the Nürburgring lead to the engine failure.

In detail, a good friend and me ordered the JDL Header with ceramic coating together online at ft86speedfactory to share the costs for shipping to Germany.

We both got our headers installed by our local Subaru dealership, so my engine blew up on my way home from the dealership right after install. No track usage or anything else just commuting home from the dealership.

So to my good friend the same happened only 80km later and he has a fully build up FA20 with HKS 2.1 Stroker kit and supercharger.

In both our cars the cat melted together because it couldn’t withstand the exhaust stream and heat. So particles of the catalytic could be found inside the engine, the valve cover broke a part and so on.

Ft86speedfactory refunded us our money and the weird thing is that the catted ft86speedfactory header which where mounted before worked fine but we though a high flow metal catalyzer would be better for our cars.

So we tried also to get our costs back for the rebuild of our engines by JDL. They are claiming to give you a 90 days warranty and our incident happened only one day or two days after receiving the headers but JDL is still ignoring us.

JDL Header with HFC damage, picture was taken directly after it got bold off the car.

HFC parts in the engine
Old 12-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Aside manufacturing defect, I see no way to explain how that could have happened with low load and no mileage on it really. Honestly though, I don't see a way of pinning the engine failure onto them ( even if it was the direct cause), they will argue "for off-road use only" until the cows come home and exempt themselves from responsibility.

Maybe they're not responding because they're getting ready to lawyer-up. First advice to anyone about to enter a legal battle is not to open your mouth unless the lawyer has approved your communication
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
SugarBrz

You're absolutely right! I mean if you check the first picture you recognize that the header is absolutely new.

This happened in summer 2018 right before my deployment so didn’t had a chance to do more and also it’s really taff to start a lawsuit.

JDL gives a 90 day warranty for the catalyzer if you use it with supercharged engine.

So personally I will avoid a catted header UEL header and go only catless with an Equal length header or a modified stock header.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
pogofx

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited
Thanks for the info. I have the FT86 Speedfactory catted header which I had put on before I went with the SC. You said you had the same header before with no issues, if I read that right. Not sure if I should be nervous or not about the quality of these aftermarket cats.
pogofx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:40 AM   #10
SugarBrz

I think the ceramic cat of your Ft86 will just fall a part by the heat and pressure and will be pushed out by the exhaust stream. There should be not such a high risk as on the metall ones.

IMHO the best thing is to go with catless header if supercharge your car.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #11
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
What I don't understand is how the material Cat material could have possibly gotten into the engine. Gases only flow out through the exhaust, not back into the engine unless there's some catastrophic failure regarding timing...
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:51 PM   #12
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
What I don't understand is how the material Cat material could have possibly gotten into the engine. Gases only flow out through the exhaust, not back into the engine unless there's some catastrophic failure regarding timing...
What about under throttle off vacuum deceleration? Also could it be perceivable then that there is a slight pulsing effect that draws a slight amount of exhaust gas back?

These are serious questions as I honestly don't know. It does however seem unlikely that the bits of the cat would make it all the way back up and into the engine.

It's hard to tell by looking at the photo, but the dislodged cat still seems to be mostly intact. So maybe those bits are from something else besides the failed cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:43 AM   #13
SugarBrz

I´m not an professional mechanic but it seems that the pressure was so high that the gas found it way back into the engine since the valve cover was also cracked during this inicident.

Just edited the links to the pictures.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:18 AM   #14
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
wth, it cracked the valve cover? That's rather extreme... I don't know that the cats are the things to blame on this one.. I know you said it happened right after the install but I've had enough secondary things pop up after I do an unrelated job on my car that I believe in coincidences now.

Also, doesn't that material look more like paper on the piston? Do you have a paper air filter?

I suppose it's possible that with a sufficient blockage; when the intake valve opens at the top, just before the exhaust closes (so during scavenging) that you could actually get back flow. It just seems so unlikely. My dad's truck years ago had the cat melt into a near solid blockage and it just had no power; no other damage (granted it's a truck engine).

*Also not a professional mechanic; just some guy on the internet.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote