follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 10-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PTUNING Review Thread

@ptuning

Love their shop. Everyone is friendly (Toan, MrC, Ken, Mike, Patrick, Abel, etc.). After I arrived, without advance notice, Patrick gave me a lift to Avis to pickup my rental that I had already paid for in advance, since Avis claims they need 24hrs notice to pickup a customer. So as a bonus I got to experience his PTUNING exhaust on a NA 86. On a side note, I won't be using the Avis in Manassas again, their service is horrid.

The guys at PTUNING answer any and all questions, without becoming irritated or frustrated with you. They will give you a tour of everything and show you projects as they go through development. They complete their jobs within their quoted time (they actually got mine done early). Their prices are more than fair when you consider how meticulous they are with their work, as evident by their turbo system.

Their tuner suffers from extreme OCD, which is what you want from a tuner. Toan will stay working until he is satisfied, which is usually way beyond you're satisfied. Before he even saw me, he had my dyno graphs in his hand. He will breakdown every minute detail to you (AFR plot, Boost Plot, etc.) and explain where your restrictions to making more power lie. Even on a busy event and dyno day, Toan took the time to explain everything in detail to me, while a car was being loaded on the dyno. In fact, he still had my file from my first trip to PTUNING in 2006! He also gained some muscle since that last trip...don't catch him in a dark alley.

If there's anything I pick on them about it's because they are so meticulous with their work, they often are late to market so they miss out on early adopters. They often don't advertise as well as I think they should. Also, their website is a blast from the early 2000s.

I bought a case of ENEOS Sustina from Amazon, then a week later I get a message from Patrick saying PTUNING carries it, I would've purchased it from them had I known. I bought some TOM's tails and 2 weeks later I see a post in the classifieds that PTUNING has them. In my honest opinion they are just a little late each time but if you can get over that minor complaint their level of service is matched by few. I have yet to have an issue with them and because of that I'll go back...and I'm pretty hard to please, ask my girlfriend.

If I had to summarize their service I would say it's very much like Nordstrom, which is the pinnacle of retail customer service.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
Events@Ptuning (10-15-2013), Mrc@ptuning (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post

@ptuning

Love their shop. Everyone is friendly (Toan, MrC, Ken, Mike, Patrick, Abel, etc.). After I arrived, without advance notice, Patrick gave me a lift to Avis to pickup my rental that I had already paid for in advance, since Avis claims they need 24hrs notice to pickup a customer. So as a bonus I got to experience his PTUNING exhaust on a NA 86. On a side note, I won't be using the Avis in Manassas again, their service is horrid.

The guys at PTUNING answer any and all questions, without becoming irritated or frustrated with you. They will give you a tour of everything and show you projects as they go through development. They complete their jobs within their quoted time (they actually got mine done early). Their prices are more than fair when you consider how meticulous they are with their work, as evident by their turbo system.

Their tuner suffers from extreme OCD, which is what you want from a tuner. Toan will stay working until he is satisfied, which is usually way beyond you're satisfied. Before he even saw me, he had my dyno graphs in his hand. He will breakdown every minute detail to you (AFR plot, Boost Plot, etc.) and explain where your restrictions to making more power lie. Even on a busy event and dyno day, Toan took the time to explain everything in detail to me, while a car was being loaded on the dyno. In fact, he still had my file from my first trip to PTUNING in 2006! He also gained some muscle since that last trip...don't catch him in a dark alley.

If there's anything I pick on them about it's because they are so meticulous with their work, they often are late to market so they miss out on early adopters. They often don't advertise as well as I think they should. Also, their website is a blast from the early 2000s.

I bought a case of ENEOS Sustina from Amazon, then a week later I get a message from Patrick saying PTUNING carries it, I would've purchased it from them had I known. I bought some TOM's tails and 2 weeks later I see a post in the classifieds that PTUNING has them. In my honest opinion they are just a little late each time but if you can get over that minor complaint their level of service is matched by few. I have yet to have an issue with them and because of that I'll go back...and I'm pretty hard to please, ask my girlfriend.

If I had to summarize their service I would say it's very much like Nordstrom, which is the pinnacle of retail customer service.

I agree 100%
FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSTRM For This Useful Post:
Events@Ptuning (10-15-2013), Mrc@ptuning (10-15-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
@ptuning

I couldn't have said it better my self, their skill, knowledge and attention to detail are some of the best in the area when it comes to aftermarket performance.

I have been going to them since 2006 so I may be a little biased but they handle work on all my vehicles no matter what they task they always find a way to get it done in a proper OCD way that leaves youa t peace.

I hope people in our area give them a visit even if its just to check our their shop and say Hi regardless of what car they drive. It is worth it!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
DC-FRS

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Absolute great place to take any car. Know of a couple people who have their turbo kit on their S2000s and they said their experience with them has been phenomenonal and I haven't experienced any different. Been there multiple times for meets/dyno days and their staff, shop, everything is great. Even locked my keys in my car at this past meet and Mr C and all the staff were eager to help and even follow though even though it was a pain. Can't thank them enough and if I need anything for my FRS, I know where I'll go locally.
DC-FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC-FRS For This Useful Post:
Mrc@ptuning (10-17-2013), Patrick@Ptuning (02-06-2014)
Old 10-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I love ptuning. I wish I would have had them work on my tc when I had it. Loved that time attack red turbo setup. SEXY

My only complaint is there so damn far away. We need more shops in Chicago. There is enough on the east coast and west coast.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
VR46
are you Jeff Vader?

Drives: Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I PMed PTUNING to arrange for installation of my header, overpipe, and front pipe. Got a quick reply and set up a time to drop off my car. Turned out that my header and front pipe didn't play well with the overpipe, so the stock overpipe minus the heat shielding was left in place on their advice.

Very happy with the service and the price. Will be bringing my car back to them in the future.
VR46 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VR46 For This Useful Post:
Patrick@Ptuning (02-06-2014)
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
WorldRallyBlueBRZ

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have dealt with them for years now. I love their work and customer service. I gladly drive the almost 40 miles to have my car worked on by them.
WorldRallyBlueBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I wanted to bump this thread a little as I finally picked up my car from the Ptuning along with other folks such as @kayhettin and @Dinko

As always great service and attention to detail is immaculate. Had a issue cause I am running aftermarket coilovers where the endlinks wouldn't fit correctly. They took it upon them selfs to overnight parts (not from japan unfortunately haha) from whiteline and get some proper endlinks that would work well and only charged me for the part and not even installation. Its worth my 55 Mile drive from my area to go there all the time.

The Turbo kit is so much fun and puts a big grin my face every time I drive it. Its so much fun and I cannot wait to go to their water meth and header system in the near future to get well over 400whp.
TLDR yall rock
Dinko (12-03-2013), kayhettin (12-02-2013), Patrick@Ptuning (02-06-2014)
Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
with all of the horrible tuning threads lately i am so glad i let Toan tune my car. driveability is perfect, afr's are spot on. not one complaint what so ever. money well spent. thanks guys. ps: my car has been tuned with an AVO kit, 10psi, dw700 injectors for about 5 months now. so it has had plenty of miles put on it to find issues.
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
Ken@PTuning (01-21-2014), Mrc@ptuning (01-21-2014), Patrick@Ptuning (02-06-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
rb6freak

Drives: 23 BRZ
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
PTuning review from across the country.

Welcome :-) I'm taking this moment to write a review about the PTuning company. I read a statistic somewhere that people are twenty times more likely to complain about something rather than give praise for good service. I suppose I would be someone of the latter. I'm just another fellow 86 owner that has purchased PTuning products. I live in California. PTuning is way over on the other side of the country.

PTuning Products PTuning has a good selection of products from popular name brands, especially when it comes to FRS/BRZ parts. They even have their own line of products for this car, all of which are very high quality. From the types of metals used, to the fitment, the R&D performed, the finish and the look... all top notch products that they really to spend time developing and testing. I personally have experience with their exhaust, turbo kit and sway bars. I installed each individual component that they custom made; brackets, fittings, piping, couplers, intercooler, wiring, air shroud and filter. There are well over a dozen custom fabricated parts in their turbo kit alone. Did you know they have a 67 page installation manual for their turbo kit? Yeah, they do. Complete with images, torque specs, parts list, required tools and supplies.

Pricing Have you seen their prices? What's your sales tax rate? PTuning has very competitive prices. They sell the Ohlins Road and Track coilovers for $ 500 less than some local shops advertise here. Yes, we all know their turbo kit is not cheap by any means. As an owner of their turbo kit, I understand why the price is set where it is; one word - quality.

PTuning Company and Staff I don't know all too much about the company, only what I gathered from the world wide web. I'll tell you that I did stalk them on the internet for a good solid two months before purchasing their turbo kit. And that alone wasn't enough to sell me on their turbo kit. I finally pulled the trigger shortly after I called them on the phone and talked with their master tuner about their turbo kit. I was sold after he had spent a whole 45 minutes with me on the phone explaining how the kit works and why their kit was a smart purchase. That 45 minutes is no exaggeration either. I've had to call PTuning several times over the installation of my turbo kit. Between their sales staff, tuner and the owner, they have spent a great amount of time supporting me over the phone and email. This alone is why I choose to continue supporting the PTuning company and purchase their products. The fact that they have a stellar turbo kit is just added points.

Summary If you're looking for FRS/BRZ performance parts, PTuning is a shop that should be on your list to check out. I have yet to hear one complaint about their products, service and staff. I have had great experiences with PTuning. Do a quick search on them and I know you'll find other stories to be the same.

Thank you @Patrick@Ptuning, Toan, @Mrc@ptuning and everyone at @ptuning.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #11
ecko04
Seems Legit

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
PTUNING Review Thread

I recall @Patrick@Ptuning coming to me in the waiting room after Toan, Patrick, Mr. C and the rest of the guys had been working for 2 days on my car, no exaggeration he was there 5 hrs past close the first day and on the phone with EcuTek, and saying "it just cracked 300whp on the dyno", I was excited like a kid on Christmas.

These guys are beyond awesome. The drive is well worth it each time. FYI, if you need a rental, which I suggest you get, rent with Enterprise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ecko04 For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (02-06-2014), Patrick@Ptuning (02-06-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #12
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
i like them a lot more now that i noticed their building (logo) has ruby hash syntax for the tuned_for: performance bit. i wonder if that was on purpose...
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
Mrc@ptuning

Drives: S1000RR
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
i like them a lot more now that i noticed their building (logo) has ruby hash syntax for the tuned_for: performance bit. i wonder if that was on purpose...

We've always been about performance and tuning (ie. PTUNING) and design our product with competition use in mind Hopefully, we'll see a PTUNING Time Attack FR-S in the near future.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKXpCJs9pR8"]Ptuning Scion tC @ Redline Time Attack, Auto Club Speedway - YouTube[/ame]

http://s334.photobucket.com/user/Ptu...20tC%20ver%202

http://s334.photobucket.com/user/Ptu...20tC%20ver%203

http://s334.photobucket.com/user/Ptu...Country%20Club
Mrc@ptuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #14
ybotspawn

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I wish I could easily +1 all these posts. Sufficed to say every one is right. Ptuning, highly recommended!!!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
ybotspawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ptuning, reviews