follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2023, 06:24 AM   #15
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedN View Post
The amount of bearing related failures like rod knock on these is staggering, thats just how it is, not exactly helped by the recall thing. The later ones are much rarer but seems better built in most ways, they changed quite alot of small things over the years.
This is always an interesting debate about the older years having more issues. In WRX/STi circles this has been debated to death. In the end it's not the issues that have been resolved, but the fact that the newer cars have not seen the amount of time, miles, second-hand owners that are not applying the same amount of care/maintenance, as the older cars that have just been put through the ringer more. More interesting (or comical depending on how you look at it), if you look at different regions, you'll find different opinions on engine issues and weak points based on their experiences. Strange.

It's always an interesting debate with strong opinions. Some issues in the WRX/STi market have proven to be addressed (assumed for the better, with little-to-no data to back it up) and some have done side-by side assembly comparisons showing the changes and different part numbers. You can see it through the progression of EJ25 blocks stamped 701-706 now being the most recent and arguably, the most reliable and capable.

No idea if there has been that same progression on the FA20. Not one that I can remember from our research when were involved with the FA20 WRX from 2014-2017. The major thing I remember is the FA20 BRZ and WRX blocks were different, even though they are both FA20. Found this out the hard way when sleeving an FA20 BRZ block; the sleeve company gave us FA20 WRX specs for machining and install, assuming BRZ and WRX blocks were the same
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:27 AM   #16
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I'd have to find the UOA thread. There are a few big ones with lots of samples to go off off. I only run E85 on track as it's hard to get here, there are some that use it almost exclusively that have done UOA's.
I'll try to dig around when I have some downtime. I'm curious because the opinions are counter to our experiences on several platforms... but if it means fewer oil changes without compromising the quality and condition of the oil, I'm all for it!
Old 03-14-2023, 08:27 AM   #17
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Is it really staggering or is it just we only hear about those and not the vast majority that have lived uneventful lives? I think it's the latter personally.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-14-2023), Ultramaroon (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 09:13 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Is it really staggering or is it just we only hear about those and not the vast majority that have lived uneventful lives? I think it's the latter personally.
Ahhh the internet is the very worst place to try and get accurate reliability numbers.
I have followed each and every failure reported on this forum since 2014. In fact I even had a spread sheet for a bit.
The number of catastrophic failures for all reasons is tiny compared to the sales numbers. This includes the recall debacle.
I gave up on the spread sheet a long time ago as there were so few it was a waste of time.
I would say that since 2014 there have been maybe, just maybe a maximum of 200 failures reported here. Now people will say "but Tcoat you are an idiot since 200 is a lot". Since the car was released there have been almost 100,000 of them sold (FRS/86/ BRZ combined) if the number of failures was truly "staggering" as people claim the should have been several thousand reported on here.
Even if we take the number to a pulled from the ass whopping 2,000 catastrophic failures we are still at the 2% mark. The real number is probably sub 1% though. This is on par with any other car out there and better than some.
alex87f (03-14-2023), Dake (03-15-2023), norcalpb (03-14-2023), strat61caster (03-14-2023), Ultramaroon (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 12:04 PM   #19
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Enthusiasts are the loudest minority. Most people dont really frequent forums, and even if they do people without issues dont even post about "nothing is wrong with my car woot!"

With that said most non design-flaw problems are due to mods and people pushing motors to deal with more than the stock specifications.
A side effect of this is that its weaknesses usually get found that the stock specifications wont really encounter
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-15-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 12:47 PM   #20
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,334 Times in 7,386 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
I'll try to dig around when I have some downtime. I'm curious because the opinions are counter to our experiences on several platforms... but if it means fewer oil changes without compromising the quality and condition of the oil, I'm all for it!
Out of curiosity, do you find DI cars have less dilution?

There is also an E85 thread that has quite a few UOA's on it IIRC.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:40 PM   #21
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
From a sample of 1, mine is still running fine.
Even all the switches and levers still work.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:00 PM   #22
KillerBMotorsport

Quote:
I used to agree with this, but over the last 15 or so years of doing this, I've spoken to many service department managers and some Subaru Tech training center managers about this.

The big topic was always the EJ Oil Pickup failures, which is often catastrophic, and how common is it really? We obviously hear loudly on forums and social media from the enthusiasts. What we don't hear is about the non-enthusiasts car guys. The guy that loves driving these cars, but take it to the dealer for every inspection, oil change, tire rotation, blown parking light bulb, etc... Heck, as much as I want my kids to be 'enthusiasts' they fit into this category of loving the driving experience (going to Auto-X, rally, cruises, etc.) but want nothing to do with getting dirty. It makes no sense to me, but who am I to judge. I sometimes see these people at Auto-x and track events, and when they want to go faster or handle better, they go to a shop and get recommendations and have it installed. Still strange, right? lol Anyway, this 'other' group is not insignificant. Unfortunately, as much as I've asked, I can't get any data from any dealers in regard to how often a car has failure or issue X, Y, or Z. I get 'yeah we see that happen', but little else. Understandable considering what repercussions that could have. My point is, assuming is not reality.

MY assumption as that there is even a bigger demographic that fits neither of these. They enjoy the cars, but not beyond their 'normal' lives and routines. Go to independent shops for service and Jiffy Lube for oil changes. I know, cringe worthy, but maybe true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Out of curiosity, do you find DI cars have less dilution?
No, but I'm assuming all DI setups are not the same aside from the premise of operation. The 911 and AMG guys are pretty fanatical about E85 oil changes, and I've seen UOAs that support that. Also, easy to search out if you dig through the forums. We definitely saw fuel dilution on our shop mule 911 on E85, but we didn't run it often enough to where I saw conclusive data, and it was used primarily for product testing on the dyno. I follow some RS3 groups, and I know E85 is popular there too, but I've not followed closely enough.

Fuel dilution is not just due to the fuel type, but the A/F mixture, ring pack, piston material, PCV design (those other cars have an AOS from the factory), piston-to-wall clearance, etc. so there is certainly opportunity for some engines to be less prone to dilution than others, which is why I'm keeping an open mind about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-14-2023), NoHaveMSG (03-14-2023), Ultramaroon (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 03:09 PM   #23
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I would love to buy you a coffee and talk cars for a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
KillerBMotorsport (03-15-2023), Ultramaroon (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 04:04 PM   #24
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
ND’s blow up transmissions with pretty low miles, not sure if there’s a fix.

FA20’s seem to have engine oiling issues, oil cooler, pickup upgrade and baffling help.

Pick you poison. Personally I’d take the Miata if I could live with its lack of practicality, but I can’t so 86 it is for the time being.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:50 PM   #25
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asura View Post
Thought Id ask the guys over the US on your experiences with engine failure.

Considering on getting one if my MOT on my spyder fails due to corrosion.

Ive been considering the following cars and i know ill probably wake up an ongoing age old argument. ND vs the 86.

Im really wanting the 86 given its less common than the mx5, but hearing about engine failures is putting me off as well the dull steering feel of the ND.

Is most of the engine failure attributed to the oil starvation whether or not its FIed?

I thought getting opinions here will help.

Its going to be my daily driver for the first 4/5 years, with the occasional spirited driving since their sports cars. after those 4/5 years ill be looking on taking them to track days. I plan on getting the car on finance so having a reliable platform will be essential. I dont plan on going FI, and at most will do the exhaust and header tune to fix the torque dip as well as get an oil cooler.

Im mostly worries that ill blow up the engine and then not be able to get a replacement given their prices, so on that basis im more likely to go with the ND and bite the bullet on the issues with the transmission, since the fix is more cheaper and it seems like its less likely a transmission failure to occur than an 86 engine failure.
I think there's also a bit of a culture gap between Europe and America, in the way that Americans hold their cars to a much higher reliability standard than us, but are willing to spend a lot more on maintenance than us.

Tell a European consumer he needs to change his oil every 9k and he'll tell you that's far too often and he can't be bothered. Tell the same to an American driver and he'll be scared for his engine.

Then again, I think those cars can be called reliable by either standard.

Random catastrophic engine failures seem few and far between. Most don't seem that random at all and involve some type of repeated engine abuse or bad maintenance. Not sure about the money shifting part though, you'd really have to try to misshift an 86 it into second, as the synchros would likely want to have a word with you first.

There's a few nibbles about these car's reliability, but if those are enough to scare a fella off, he / she should stick to bicycles
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 06:37 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,536 Times in 18,934 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
From a sample of 1, mine is still running fine.
Even all the switches and levers still work.
+1
Old 03-14-2023, 06:38 PM   #27
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,443 Times in 6,153 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I've only known two people IRL that have killed an engine in any road-going car, and both cars were Nissans.

My brother didn't know he had to change the oil in his 3 years of Altima ownership, until it died.
My father forgot to change the oil in his Pathfinder for like 2 years, then it died.

Yes, I am related to these people...

Moral of the story, my experience says you are very likely to kill the engine by not changing the oil, or driving a Nissan. Otherwise it is probably fine.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-15-2023), Clipdat (03-14-2023), NoHaveMSG (03-20-2023), soundman98 (03-15-2023), Ultramaroon (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 06:50 PM   #28
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,536 Times in 18,934 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
...loving the driving experience (going to Auto-X, rally, cruises, etc.) but want nothing to do with getting dirty.
I feel your pain. I'd say I'm more wrenching than driving, and wouldn't argue being labeled a fanatic when it comes to mechanical sympathy.

That being said, I don't look forward to breaking it, but I sure enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done.

Tags
engine