follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
TOMCENTRAL

Drives: FR-S AUTO
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
K&P Engineering Reusable oil filter

I have been using these oil filters on my Harley Davidson Motorcycles for years & they are great.I also used one on my 2010 Genesis Turbo.The unit part # for the FR-S/BRZ is S1.I am not a sales person for K&P,no affiliation.Just thought I would share the info.BTW,years ago I went through a lot of emails about the filter which filters 100% of the time.Unlike the oem filter that has a bypass that allows unfiltered oil till the oil reaches temp.
Anyway lots of guys have come around to use this filter after much debate.
Now JAGG oil coolers recommends the K&P filter & even sells them.

Info & questions refer to kandpengineering.com

They sell for $139 # S1

Regards,Tom
TOMCENTRAL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOMCENTRAL For This Useful Post:
kwood9000 (09-14-2012), Turbowned (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks! I was hoping for an alternative to regular metal filters. Such a waste when you can just replace a paper element or clean a reusable one. May not seem like much of a big deal to most but if you think about how much metal gets used up in millions of metal oil filters each year, we could save a lot of resources if everyone switched to a less wasteful filter!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
diirk

Drives: 4Runner
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I've used K&N Filters in the past. They're ok but I really hate cleaning them. I end up running around with a stock filter for a couple of days while I wait for it to dry.

anyhow, this time I'm going to try out the AFe dry filter. It's still servicable. You can just vacuum it out and it run at 96-98% efficiency.

waiting on a Neptune Premium MT
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
kiks

Drives: V12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Thanks! I was hoping for an alternative to regular metal filters. Such a waste when you can just replace a paper element or clean a reusable one. May not seem like much of a big deal to most but if you think about how much metal gets used up in millions of metal oil filters each year, we could save a lot of resources if everyone switched to a less wasteful filter!
Bought a new car, but you care about the environment?

Buying a 70's v8 yank tank land barge that gets 10 miles to the gallon is better for the environment than ANY new car produced, or amount of oil filters you use.
kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
True, but said V8 "yank tank" (I like that!) doesn't come with a warranty or give me any driving pleasure whatsoever. You can't run around telling people to stop buying new cars because it's bad for the environment. That would be like telling people not to make any paper because it kills trees. You can however encourage them to recycle paper, like you can encourage them to recycle or buy re-usable oil filters. Things you can change vs. things you can't. Hey, at least the BRZ/FR-S is built in a zero-landfill plant!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
TOMCENTRAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by diirk View Post
I've used K&N Filters in the past. They're ok but I really hate cleaning them. I end up running around with a stock filter for a couple of days while I wait for it to dry.

anyhow, this time I'm going to try out the AFe dry filter. It's still servicable. You can just vacuum it out and it run at 96-98% efficiency.
They are K and P not K&N
Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Ravenlokk

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Also oil filters, not air filters ;o
Quote:

Ravenlokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
TOMCENTRAL

OIL FILTER

Quote:

This is a OIL FILTER / Reusable.............
Old 09-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
TOMCENTRAL

thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlokk View Post
Also oil filters, not air filters ;o
Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
diirk

Drives: 4Runner
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Gotcha. Sorry about the confusion.

waiting on a Neptune Premium MT
diirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
kwood9000

Drives: Limited WRB AT6 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
How difficult are the K&P filters to clean?
kwood9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
avp1

Drives: Traded BRZ for Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I think reusable filter is a stupid idea to begin with. Filter element cannot be cleaned from small particles. But these small particles is what mostly damages your car mechanical components. Product like this is marketed to those who has no basic knowledge how engine lubrication system work. I am also sure that it will give Toyota/Subaru good opportunity to void warranty if something is wrong with engine.
avp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #13
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have read about this on google on many sites including bobtheoilguy and everyone so far has said that they work but they only filter down to 35-40 microns whereas regular filters can filter all the way down to 10, depending what you buy. I personally wouldnt use them just because of people saying that. Only thing that made it stick out was the magnet inside that will catch the metal shavings and that interested me for engine break in but I have decided to just get a filter mag or use Hard Drive magnets.

K&N has one thats what I googled and people say K&N reusable oil filters are just Pure Power oil filters. For the price of an oil filter you can buy a lot of regular filters. It would take a lot of oil changes to pay for it self depending how expensive your filters are. People have tested them too, to see if they give better HP and it doesnt.

Also they arent very hard to clean. People use break cleaner or other methods which all work but they dont filter out the smaller particles which could be trouble for the life of the car. But lot of people have said they have used them for 30-50k+ miles with no problem but we wont really know how it will affect the life of the car. You could send in your oil to get tested before and after but then if it doesnt work then you would of wasted a lot of money if it comes back with poor results.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I ordered the Canton Mecca oil filter.. reusable housing, just replace the cartridge..

http://www.cmfilters.com/oil_filters.html

I ordered the tallest one that fits 25-484.. I haven't installed it yet though, so I'm not sure on the height fitment..
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote