follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Lobe

Drives: BRZ Ltd. - MT WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Potentially Ordering a 2014 BRZ. Quick Question.

Okay, I'm not going to ask the same played out questions (turbo, STI, moar powar?). Frankly, I think the current power is enough and the reasoning behind that has been stated a hundred times on here. I want to know when is it reasonable to expect Subaru to share the MY 2014 changes? Especially since they're accepting orders in 4 days.

Is it illogical to assume that the dealer will be able to share all changes if I place an order on a 2014 BRZ next Monday. They can't start taking orders without telling people what will be new, right? Will they know about things like condensation and chirping being fixed?

I know Subaru is notoriously tight lipped and it seems the partnership/contract with Toyota forces them to not divulge too much information. I've been scouring the internet and various forums without any real answers. The dealer has a 2013 MT LTD in WRB, exactly what I want, but I can wait if it means the 2014s have some significant improvements.

Thanks for the input!
Lobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Wilsonk227

Drives: Super Vehicular Terrain Vehicle
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobe View Post
Okay, I'm not going to ask the same played out questions (turbo, STI, moar powar?). Frankly, I think the current power is enough and the reasoning behind that has been stated a hundred times on here. I want to know when is it reasonable to expect Subaru to share the MY 2014 changes? Especially since they're accepting orders in 4 days.

Is it illogical to assume that the dealer will be able to share all changes if I place an order on a 2014 BRZ next Monday. They can't start taking orders without telling people what will be new, right? Will they know about things like condensation and chirping being fixed?

I know Subaru is notoriously tight lipped and it seems the partnership/contract with Toyota forces them to not divulge too much information. I've been scouring the internet and various forums without any real answers. The dealer has a 2013 MT LTD in WRB, exactly what I want, but I can wait if it means the 2014s have some significant improvements.

Thanks for the input!

simply put, nothing is really going to change, probably more options/accessories and fixes of certain problems or issues and then the year from "2013" to "2014." No turbo etc, obviously. If that was to come it'd probably be the mid-gen change.

Dealers may or may not know, if you dont see any information, expect no changes. Nothing new to inform so what's to inform on? you know? "We have news about the BRZ and that is that there is nothing new."

but if anything, wait out on those 4 days, if they got nothing, then go for the 2013 or wait for the 2014. I'll personally wait because one year in the numbers will prove different when you trade it in or sell it.

Wilsonk227 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsonk227 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
jkonquer

Drives: 2005 Subaru STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i don't know about toyota, but subaru usually makes "minor" changes every 2 years of production. so maybe on 2015 models, you might see minor suspension changes, possibly STI version, face-lift, minor interior changes, and more color options.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
lionbacker54

Drives: 2013 WR Blue 6MT BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i would also doubt anything more than a mid-cycle refresh, and wouldn't even expect that until in 2015. keep in mind that subaru has confirmed they are working on a cabriolet version for 2015 also. that will take a lot of their time and attention.
lionbacker54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Just wondering but if they were to have a turbo version of the BRZ does that give the option for people to purchase a turbo from subaru? Or get it installed?
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,321 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
2014 gets AHA radio....that is the only change we have found so far...
Old 05-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
5th 86

Drives: 2013 BRZ SPORT TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
2014 gets AHA radio....that is the only change we have found so far...
Canadian brzs come with this already
5th 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Tman08

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I read an article a few months ago that a magazine actually tested one of the 2014 test mules. They noted that the engineers made a few minor tweaks here and there, such as structural/frame improvements which improved the handling somewhat.

I don't want to name specific things, as I am looking for the article again. Personally, I am looking at the 2014 model for myself. However Don't expect a ton of changes, but small misc improvements (radio and minor under the skin updates).

It would be hard to market a new model if there wasn't at least one change apart from the radio. I expect a mid cycle refresh in 2016 (usually 3 MYrs after a cars release).
Tman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman08 View Post
I read an article a few months ago that a magazine actually tested one of the 2014 test mules. They noted that the engineers made a few minor tweaks here and there, such as structural/frame improvements which improved the handling somewhat.

I don't want to name specific things, as I am looking for the article again. Personally, I am looking at the 2014 model for myself. However Don't expect a ton of changes, but small misc improvements (radio and minor under the skin updates).
Please find it! I'd love to read it. I'm waiting for 2014's as well, at this point it's just to get that extra year subtracted for resale value 4 years later. Although, 2013 Premium's are going for ~$24k, which is tempting.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Tman08

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
Please find it! I'd love to read it. I'm waiting for 2014's as well, at this point it's just to get that extra year subtracted for resale value 4 years later. Although, 2013 Premium's are going for ~$24k, which is tempting.
Finally found it!!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ring-prototype

It details the upcoming potential changes
Tman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
DownFracture

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited MT SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobe View Post

This is what I am wondering.

Thanks for the input!

They are taking orders in four days!? What!? Is this confirmed? Dang, I better get one ordered if thats the case! If it's ordered in June when is the aproximate day of construction/arrival time? Is that even know yet?So....when orders open is there going to be news on the tweeks for next years model? I have been searching the internet everyday for a release date and haven't seen anything when did this information become available (release date)?
DownFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I swore I read that the 2014's would be released in August/September timeframe. I would expect little to no change vs 2013 model year. I know for the FRS, the only change the dealer mentioned was he thought the touch screen radio unit would be standard (which means price increase most likely).

I asked my dealer about the 14's when I bought my Limited this week and he said they have not heard anything yet. He was not expecting any major changes.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman08 View Post
Finally found it!!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...ring-prototype

It details the upcoming potential changes
Thanks, yeah I had read this article when it came out. I was really hoping for a 'track package' to come out. Those Sachs dampers/BBS wheels, higher final drive and mechanical diff. sound dreamy but I highly doubt we'll see it since we haven't heard any more information on it and its been 7 months since that article. Fingers crossed though!
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
car doesn't need more power it just needs more torque. the GTI has the same power but it feels 10X faster (it's actually faster too) due to the torque.
I just don't see this changing anytime soon. if an STI model comes out it might have more power through raising the revs and sacrificing MORE torque
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote