follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #43
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I enjoyed reading your comments, I test drove some of those cars before selecting the BRZ too.

My opinion with the Focus ST was that it felt like I was driving an economy car that was trying far too hard to be a sports car. I thought the interior wasn't anything to write home about, but not hideous either. I did think it was too small inside (as silly as that sounds, since I got the smaller BRZ) - by the time I was in a comfortable position, there was not nearly enough room for a person with legs to sit behind me. It was a four door, but the back seat was too cramped to be all that useful. I thought the ride was rough and bumpy. I also had the electronic power steering act up on me - I was at like 50% throttle going up a hill at 30-40mph with the wheel straight ahead, and the steering wheel just pulled hard to one side, then immediately back to the other side. I am not sure what happened. The salesman spouted some BS about it 'adapting itself to learn my driving style', but it seemed to me like the electronic power steering malfunctioned, maybe it thought it detected torque steer when there wasn't any, so it compensated? I don't buy that it was adapting to me driving style when I had been driving straight with the throttle in a constant position for several seconds before it happened. Aside from that, the Recaro seats weren't comfortable for me (I'm the same size as you) either, and the regular seats were absolutely hideous. Seems like everything they had available had the Recaro, but they said the vanilla Focus had the same seats as the standard ST seats, and those seats were garbage. They were flat, with thin padding and extremely cheap material, that felt like they belonged in a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. It felt like I was driving an econobox that had a souped-up engine and an overly stiff suspension to try to tame some of that power.

For the GTI, I liked the interior quite a bit (although the one I test drove was the premium "Autobahn" package), and the practicality was far above and beyond the Focus (you could actually fit four adults in it!), and I enjoyed the power as well. I walked from that thoroughly preferring it to the Focus ST.

I didn't bother with the Mazdaspeed3 simply because it seemed like the GTI was superior in everything except performance, where the Focus ST was superior to both of them.

The BRZ was my favorite of the bunch. I agree with your opinion quite a bit - it was the only one that really felt like a sports car. The Focus ST felt like an econobox most of the time and a dragster if you really stepped on it, and the GTI felt like a comfortable practical hatch most of the time and a fairly sporty car if you really pushed it, but the BRZ felt like a sports car the whole time. It felt like it gripped the road better than anything else, and the steering felt more responsive than anything else. I've noticed that the lack of an armrest doesn't bother me except when getting in or out, since I drive with both hands on the wheel unless I'm changing gear, because I feel like I'm driving a racecar, not lounging back in a regular car. The steering feel is by far my favorite part of the BRZ. Everything else I've driven (I drive a ton of rental cars during business travel) has felt loose and sloppy, but the BRZ feels tight and controlled. It feels fast even when you're going slow, whereas the other two only felt fast when you were accelerating hard or pushing them to their limits, and felt like ordinary cars when you weren't.

I looked at WRXes, but I was really hesitant to jump into something with atrocious gas mileage, especially since the price was fairly comparable to the BRZ even for a CPO with 20k miles.

After that day driving all 3, I knew that if I got the GTI, I'd be thinking "Gee, my car is pretty sporty, but wouldn't a BRZ have been a lot of fun?" years down the line, but I wouldn't be thinking "I really like my car, but I should have gotten something that has a back seat for adults" if I got the BRZ.

It helps that my SO has a B5.5 Passat, so I said "You know what, if we need a practical car, we'll just take yours, I don't need to be practical" and bought a BRZ.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #44
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
I'm puzzled by your comment about the FR-S having bad brakes. Makes me wonder if the brake pads weren't properly broken and and perhaps they are glazed over?

This is especially puzzling because you didn't mention a problem with the WRX's brakes and the FRS/BRZ have their brakes lifted directly from the WRX-they're the same. So the FRS's brakes should be fair superior to the WRX's (600 fewer lbs to stop).
Old 05-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #45
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,194 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Was just perusing the Engine section and found a thread about removing a spring in the clutch pedal assembly which makes it feel heavier.
Poster was used to a heavier clutch. The part removed photo looked like it was next to some crankshaft bushings and a piston/con-rod.
Hope it doesn't need to be disassembled that far

Clutch return spring removal

I'll stick with stock. No warranty implied. Owner is responsible for valuables left in vehicle.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Re_Invention (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #46
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
While the FR-S/BRZ doesn't offer the room of a hatch (GTI, Focus, WRX), you can fit an amazing amount of stuff.

Personally, my choice would be a WRX from your list.
Never before that this new Generation WRX can come soon enough !!!!!!
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #47
Carticular

Drives: Mazda3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Appreciate your take on these, similar to what I'm looking at. I haven't driven them but based on other reviews, you came to a similar conclusion.
Carticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #48
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I'm puzzled by your comment about the FR-S having bad brakes. Makes me wonder if the brake pads weren't properly broken and and perhaps they are glazed over?

This is especially puzzling because you didn't mention a problem with the WRX's brakes and the FRS/BRZ have their brakes lifted directly from the WRX-they're the same. So the FRS's brakes should be fair superior to the WRX's (600 fewer lbs to stop).
+1

Driven my brother's MY09 WRX and both brakes are excellent. I haven't pushed the brakes on my FRS yet but I'm willing to bet it might be even better considering it's a lighter car.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #49
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
OK, so this is coming from someone who beat the OEM brakes to the point of failure (literally).

Mine never had long pedal travel (without boiling the fluid first that is) nor would I describe them as having little feel. They aren't the best brakes I've felt by a fair margin, but they are far from the worst.

Not saying you are wrong, but maybe the new OEM pads are contributing due to the lack of transfer layer, or someone seriously beat on them, or it had air in the lines like my car seemed to (in the rear only) from the factory. Just weird since that's not an issue most have experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post

Maybe I am taking crazy pills.

Not to back-track but the first test drive was coming out of a Corvette Grand Sport (ZO6 brakes) and the second test drive was coming out of a Honda S2000 (aftermarket pads). The first having stellar brakes, the second having okay.

I distinctly remember the FR-S having a soft pedal with long travel and I didn't like that at all. The other cars that were driven on Sunday had better initial bite and felt more resistance when pushed harder. I'll take back the 'dismal' word because I didn't repeatedly step on the brakes multiple times, and I take your guys' word for it that they'll hold up well to abuse. Maybe I am too harsh about it. But that initial bite; getting back to the haptic point; I didn't like it. I like my brakes to bite not immediately but shortly after a squeeze and to hold a rock stiffness the further I depress the pedal.

But, I'll concede that point now. Either way, I'm very excited to get the car. I've even developed a bad habit of checking out the group buys before I even own it!
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #50
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post

Not to back-track but the first test drive was coming out of a Corvette Grand Sport (ZO6 brakes) and the second test drive was coming out of a Honda S2000 (aftermarket pads). The first having stellar brakes, the second having okay.

I distinctly remember the FR-S having a soft pedal with long travel and I didn't like that at all. The other cars that were driven on Sunday had better initial bite and felt more resistance when pushed harder. I'll take back the 'dismal' word because I didn't repeatedly step on the brakes multiple times, and I take your guys' word for it that they'll hold up well to abuse. Maybe I am too harsh about it. But that initial bite; getting back to the haptic point; I didn't like it. I like my brakes to bite not immediately but shortly after a squeeze and to hold a rock stiffness the further I depress the pedal.

But, I'll concede that point now. Either way, I'm very excited to get the car. I've even developed a bad habit of checking out the group buys before I even own it!
Rock on man, thats what I did too. I checked out group buys before I even had the car LOL. Hopefully this car will turn out to be everything you want it to be.
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #51
Ingen

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Look for a gb on a master cylinder brace.

A little steel triangle makes allllll the difference

Car Received: 10/18. Break in ended: 10/28

Goal: Openflash UEL headers, Stage II 93 oct, TRD intake, arm rest :P
Ingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingen For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #52
Scenic Driver

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 Audi TTQ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
One thing about the brakes, when I first got my BRZ I thought they were terrible. It turned out they needed to be bled, when I bled them, lots of air came out of two of the calipers. I still didn't love the stock pads but the difference after bleeding was like night and day. Going to Ferodo pads made a huge difference too.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #53
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Quote:
No, in fact this car drove remarkably better than the last FR-S I test drove. The engine still takes its time to rev and doesn't feel like 200 hp. .
Ahh.. Rancho Cucamonga. If you are getting a brz, I know one in CA selling below msrp. Pm me. Another option will be from Colorado if you don't mind it shipped. Don't pay MSRP for a brz.
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #54
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanabie View Post
Ahh.. Rancho Cucamonga. If you are getting a brz, I know one in CA selling below msrp. Pm me. Another option will be from Colorado if you don't mind it shipped. Don't pay MSRP for a brz.
Will do, soon. I planned on flying out to Colorado to pick it up and have a nice scenic drive home. But I'm curious to hear about 2014 updates, so I'm holding tight for a month longer.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #55
hanabie

Drives: WRB LMTD '13
Quote:
Will do, soon. I planned on flying out to Colorado to pick it up and have a nice scenic drive home. But I'm curious to hear about 2014 updates, so I'm holding tight for a month longer.
If you don't mind doing that

Shipping cost is approximately $750. Just to let you know.
hanabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #56
jdm91t

Drives: mr2 turbo, fd rx7, 2013 sti
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
For me its between the wrx and the brz. The wrx is such a good dd and AWD makes random snow a non-issue. Plus 4 doors and a fold down back seat really make it a usable daily car. But the brz is pure sports car, and I feel like that platform could teach me a lot about driving. The WRX wins at modding any day though. For 1k it can make around 280hp wheel, and wheels and sway bars make it handle like it's on rails.
jdm91t is offline   Reply With Quote