follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #225
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinn View Post
Why are they even still wasting money on replacing fuel pumps?
Well, as the old saying goes, "Its not my money."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
Kevinn (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 05:39 PM   #226
CJB

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Has anyone had power window issues NOT related to cold weather? Every time I open a door after the car has been sitting a while, the window sounds like it snaps out of the outer guide. Almost feels like I'm going to break it.

Other times, I'll shut the passenger door and the window will roll itself down halfway. I'm waiting for the day this happens in the rain.

I feel like replacing the door weatherstrip with the redesigned part (listed in the TSB for the cold weather issue) will probably fix the issue, but I'm worried the dealer will fight me on this.
CJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:03 AM   #227
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJB View Post
Has anyone had power window issues NOT related to cold weather? Every time I open a door after the car has been sitting a while, the window sounds like it snaps out of the outer guide. Almost feels like I'm going to break it.
I had the snap. It's terrible. Sounds like a hammer on glass. The hard stops or the regulator are not aligned properly. They must match up or the regulator will tweak itself and jam.

This window mechanism is really tricky and I've been told by a Subie service tech that there is no official alignment procedure.

I took the time to figure it out for myself last year but even if you held a gun to my head, I still wouldn't be able to describe a set procedure. One tweak affects everything else. Off the top of my head I remember 5 distinct adjustments.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:07 AM   #228
73TORANA!

Drives: Orange GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had the same issue and it turned out that the upper stop on the window at the rear of the door. It had come loose and was allowing the window at the rear to go up higher, I noticed that the window travelled further at the rear than at the front. A quick adjustment and all fixed.
73TORANA! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 73TORANA! For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-21-2015), voyager2285 (09-11-2016)
Old 05-21-2015, 04:15 AM   #229
73TORANA!

Drives: Orange GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleicious View Post
I just got my BRZ back from the dealership after telling them about the chirping TSB and having them install a new fuel pump... I've only had it back for a day now, but the chirping is currently gone... Fingers crossed that it's gone for good, but we shall see!
I have only had this problem when I had to put E95 a 10% ethanole blend. I have been speaking to a Toyota AUS tech rep on an other matter and mentioned the chirp and he said that the USA has a dryer fuel blend that causes the issue and here In AUS our ron 98 is a better fuel ???
73TORANA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #230
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73TORANA! View Post
I have only had this problem when I had to put E95 a 10% ethanole blend. I have been speaking to a Toyota AUS tech rep on an other matter and mentioned the chirp and he said that the USA has a dryer fuel blend that causes the issue and here In AUS our ron 98 is a better fuel ???
That toyota guy must have done to much lsd (and i'm talking differentials) back in the 60's :-) our fuel is crap compared to usa fuels.

Yes I have found 10% ethanol fuels excite the crickets like the old united P100 RON where non-ethanol petrol shell caltex BP 98 shuts them up.

Weird thing is E85 shuts them up as well, maybe they get too drunk and pass out or I suspect its some additive they put in E85 occasionally when it rearly hot day and you have done a bit of spirited driving they fire up for a bit.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-21-2015), Ultramaroon (05-21-2015), ZZT86 (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #231
CoupedUpSubie

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
That toyota guy must have done to much lsd (and i'm talking differentials) back in the 60's :-) our fuel is crap compared to usa fuels.

Yes I have found 10% ethanol fuels excite the crickets like the old united P100 RON where non-ethanol petrol shell caltex BP 98 shuts them up.

Weird thing is E85 shuts them up as well, maybe they get too drunk and pass out or I suspect its some additive they put in E85 occasionally when it rearly hot day and you have done a bit of spirited driving they fire up for a bit.
I'm curious as to if AUS has cracked down on sulphur like the USA has. Our gasoline has 30 ppm on average with a maximum of 80 ppm.

Sulphur in fuels act as a natural lubricant. Old diesels with high pressure injection pumps need an additive to prevent the pump from wearing out quickly.
1993 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
CoupedUpSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoupedUpSubie For This Useful Post:
73TORANA! (05-24-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #232
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post

The probable cause as listed in the TSB is cavitation caused by the pump. How this relates to fuel composition and makeup (aka, ethanol in the mix) has not been fully explored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupedUpSubie View Post
I'm curious as to if AUS has cracked down on sulphur like the USA has. Our gasoline has 30 ppm on average with a maximum of 80 ppm.

Sulphur in fuels act as a natural lubricant. Old diesels with high pressure injection pumps need an additive to prevent the pump from wearing out quickly.
A little google detective work gave me this link--A nice quick glance at the worldwide standards. You are correct, NA has a 30 ppm standard, with Aussie standards being 50 ppm. This is probably another contributing factor as to why we have more crickets in North America.

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php...parison:_Fuels

Just a side note, its interesting to see that we actually have the same diesel standard when it come to sulfur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
73TORANA! (05-24-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #233
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73TORANA! View Post
I had the same issue and it turned out that the upper stop on the window at the rear of the door. It had come loose and was allowing the window at the rear to go up higher, I noticed that the window travelled further at the rear than at the front. A quick adjustment and all fixed.
That would definitely do it. Wish mine was that simple but I did learn quite a bit.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #234
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just curious where the heck you found these TSB at? I googled "Scion Techinical Service Bulletin" and I couldn't find any of the TSB the OP posted. So where the heck did you find this stuff from?
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #235
aegisdrgn

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series #2263
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Insider access at dealerships.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
aegisdrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #236
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupindub View Post
Just curious where the heck you found these TSB at? I googled "Scion Techinical Service Bulletin" and I couldn't find any of the TSB the OP posted. So where the heck did you find this stuff from?
Most of them are from the forum members posting on this forum. If you google "site:www.ft86club.com tsb", you'll see the original threads posting the TSB for each issue. I just took the TSB from there and posted them here.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #237
lupindub

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
Insider access at dealerships.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Ah makes sense. I was starting to get a bit insane trying to find the original TSB source. Every time I Googled"Scion FRS TSB", it would re-direct me to this site.
lupindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #238
Sideways
BRZZZZZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Whiteout
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I dropped my car off at Subaru dealership for rust repair on window pillar along with some cracking sound on the front driver side a-pillar, the service guy asked me if I need my fuel pump replaced as it was chirping, so getting it replaced also.

But he told me that there is yet another newer version of fuel pump on its way but won't be available for another few weeks, so if the problem returns after new fuel pump, I will have to take it in again after few weeks to get fuel pump replaced again.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chirping, high pressure fuel pump