follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Heero

Drives: 2-door
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS vs MX 6

Hey everyone - I'm currently DDing a '96 MX6 with a full KLZE swap + full cb performance exhaust & of course lowering springs Thinking of canceling my FRS order & keeping my current ride due to insurance on the FRS costing the same as car payments (9k to 11k a year quote for me...).

Horse Power, torque, weight and dimensions are roughly the same as the FRS - the main difference is just leather interior on the my MX6 vs Cloth ; V6 (200HP @ 6500 & 165 ft·lbf) vs 4boxer (200 @ 7000 & 150 ft·lb).

Other then gas millage will I really notice a difference in these two cars?

Thanks
Heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
WhiteGDB

Drives: Civic Si sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seriously? The interior is the main difference? Not FWD vs RWD?
WhiteGDB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteGDB For This Useful Post:
dori. (05-23-2012), Guff (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Heero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGDB View Post
Seriously? The interior is the main difference? Not FWD vs RWD?
Well... TBH Interior is a pretty big factor for me I like sitting in a nice car.

I've already read all the talk of RWD vs FWD - and, although I'd like RWD, can't really say I'm willing to swap just got that.

Anyone driven a MX6 or probe?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
JDMrolla

Drives: AE86 and white FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heero View Post
due to insurance on the FRS costing the same as car payments (9k to 11k a year quote for me...).

Thanks
is this real life
JDMrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
df.dima

Drives: FR-S and Mazda 3 Sky
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
In my opinion, I would not get FR-S if the insurance was that much. This is just insane. Not financially smart, unless you roll in dough. I think you can put those 9-11k a year into something more useful. Some people put priority on fun, some on other things. But its your choice .
df.dima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
michaelahess

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ Lim, 2006 Dodge RAM MC
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I've owned two probes (95, 96) and my wife owned a 95 MX-6. I LOVED the MX-6 compared to my probes, both of mine were SE's, so that had a lot to do with it. Pretty crappy 4 banger.

The problem with the MX-6 was my size. I'm only 6'1" and I literally had to hunker down in the seat to fit, the backseat was a joke. Granted the moonroof didn't help matters. I could fit in any seats in my probes.

As for a comparison that I can provide, my 01 Celica GT was a far better handling vehicle than the MX-6, though it definitely lacked power and that took something away that I missed. The MX-6 was much more energetic and still fun to drive, though not go-cart like.

I expect the BRZ/FR-S will be a very nice mix of both, more powerful than my Celica with even better handling. It should be the perfect car for me.

We still have the MX-6 but the engine blew and I'm just not about to spend a few k on a car that's got 180k miles and is that old...my wife reminds me how much she hates me over that decision weekly!
michaelahess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelahess For This Useful Post:
Heero (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Heero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMrolla View Post
is this real life
Yup... welcome to the Toronto, where being a 20 year old male is expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by df.dima View Post
In my opinion, I would not get FR-S if the insurance was that much. This is just insane. Not financially smart, unless you roll in dough. I think you can put those 9-11k a year into something more useful. Some people put priority on fun, some on other things. But its your choice .
Yea... It's expensive but I have zero expenses atm so I can afford the cash sink... but I'm pretty border line on canceling my order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaquestion View Post
My first car was a Probe, and I was all over the place for a couple years. From KLZE, to supercharger, to a 100 shot of nitrous. You can't even compare the two cars at all... First off, the after market for them is Junk, they have no potential to ever be fast... They aren't very reliable, particularly once you start modding. They are fun to drive, don't get me wrong, but the FR-S/BRZ is a completely different car, with no similarities, and the aftermarket for them is already bigger than the aftermarket for the Probe/MX6.

What you really should be asking yourself, is if your happy driving your MX6, and if you want to take on car payments or not. Cars are fun to drive in general... You don't need the newest hipster car to enjoy the hobby. The best advice anyone could give to you, is not to buy a new car if you can't pay for it upfront. Trust me... If you can't afford an FR-S/BRZ, and are making costly monthly payments on it... Eventually the 'WOW' factor will wear off, and you will wish you could spend that 300-450 a month on something else.

Eventually I gutted the thing... With the suspension I had on it, it was like a go-kart... A slow go-kart.
Very nice car. TBH, the MX6 with klze is plenty fast for me. I prefer driving slower tbh ^^

As far as monthly payments, I can afford the car pretty easily, its just the insurance costs that are causing me to reconsider. I would be paying the same amount for insurance as for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
I've owned two probes (95, 96) and my wife owned a 95 MX-6. I LOVED the MX-6 compared to my probes, both of mine were SE's, so that had a lot to do with it. Pretty crappy 4 banger.

The problem with the MX-6 was my size. I'm only 6'1" and I literally had to hunker down in the seat to fit, the backseat was a joke. Granted the moonroof didn't help matters. I could fit in any seats in my probes.

As for a comparison that I can provide, my 01 Celica GT was a far better handling vehicle than the MX-6, though it definitely lacked power and that took something away that I missed. The MX-6 was much more energetic and still fun to drive, though not go-cart like.

I expect the BRZ/FR-S will be a very nice mix of both, more powerful than my Celica with even better handling. It should be the perfect car for me.

We still have the MX-6 but the engine blew and I'm just not about to spend a few k on a car that's got 180k miles and is that old...my wife reminds me how much she hates me over that decision weekly!
LOL... I'm shorter then u and I have trouble sitting in the front

I'm sure that the FRS will be a nicer ride, but I'm still contemplating if the extra 4k a year for insurance will be worth it.

Thanks for the input everyone! If the price is on the lower side (9k) I think I'll grab it, but paying 11k a year is just crazy imo...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
michaelahess

I paid more per month for insurance than car payments on my Celica, it was WELL worth it. I was 19-22 or was it 20-23...while I owned it.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
Heero

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post
I paid more per month for insurance than car payments on my Celica, it was WELL worth it. I was 19-22 or was it 20-23...while I owned it.
hehe... I hope your right

But I'll be paying almost 2k a month on car + insurance as a student (on top of school tuition...). With no FT job...

Lets see how well this turns out lol
Old 05-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

But I'll be paying almost 2k a month on car + insurance as a student (on top of school tuition...). With no FT job...

There isn't any method of transportation worth that in your situation
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
michaelahess

Yeah I'd have to agree under those circumstances, I had a full time job plus a lot of side jobs.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Keep your car. You're going to go into big debt if you're not already in it. Get your mind out of buying cars and get through school for now.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
WhiteGDB

Drives: Civic Si sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm sure that the FRS will be a nicer ride, but I'm still contemplating if the extra 4k a year for insurance will be worth it.

Thanks for the input everyone! If the price is on the lower side (9k) I think I'll grab it, but paying 11k a year is just crazy imo...
This leads me to believe you're currently paying 5-7k for insurance on a 16yr old car? I know it's Canadian dollars, but damn! What does your driving record look like?
WhiteGDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Heero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGDB View Post
This leads me to believe you're currently paying 5-7k for insurance on a 16yr old car? I know it's Canadian dollars, but damn! What does your driving record look like?
Yup... I pay just under 4k. 1 @ fault accident 2 years ago. Zero convictions...

Heck... the "at fault" accident I have wasn't even my fault lol... Other guy got charged by the cops yet IM at fault... Well thats Insurance in Ontario for you.

Edit: Just for kicks... Heres an online insurance quote for me:

For comparison, my sister (under 25) living in the USA (new driver, no previous driving exp in the states, 1 at fault, 2 speeding tickets) is paying less a year on her car then my mom and my dad - and her car costs more then either of their cars LOL... I think she pays 100 a month.