follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
Byza

Drives: 2017 86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
Thanks. I guess dropbox killed my public links. Images have been fixed.

Thanks for re-uploading the pics. I'm doing this install today and while I'm sure I would have worked it out without much trouble, having the pics makes the job brainless.
Byza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:03 PM   #16
Byza

I did the install last weekend.

I used all the original bolts so they would match and purchased some M4 nylock nuts. I also painted the bolt heads black so they would blend in.

I only ended up using one mushroom nut (near the open/close clasp), the rest I could get to easily with a ring spanner or ratchet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Byza For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #17
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byza View Post
I did the install last weekend.

I used all the original bolts so they would match and purchased some M4 nylock nuts. I also painted the bolt heads black so they would blend in.

I only ended up using one mushroom nut (near the open/close clasp), the rest I could get to easily with a ring spanner or ratchet.

You used nuts on all bolts?

And what do you mean you used all the original bolts,? Isn't that assumed? What other bolts would someone use?
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #18
Byza

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
You used nuts on all bolts?

And what do you mean you used all the original bolts,? Isn't that assumed? What other bolts would someone use?
For some reason I thought you bought new bolts.
I almost wish I had, hex bolts would have been less of a PITA than those Torx heads.

There was only one bolt I couldn't get to without removing the foam, and the packet of nuts I bought happened to come with 8 nuts so I figured I may as well use as many as I could. Perhaps differences in the console mold, due to LHD/RHD, may have made some of the bolts easier for me to reach.
The Following User Says Thank You to Byza For This Useful Post:
B-R-Z (04-21-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the write up and pictures!

I'm leaning towards this as I've realized the door cup holder works just fine for my coffee mug and I don't really need the middle cup holders. I need a place for change/stuff to keep it out of sight instead of sitting in the open in my car... this armrest would work nicely.

Did you use a particular guide for taking out the center console? I've found a few guides for taking out the shift boot + trim but not the console itself..

Still hesitant to drill holes into my brand new car but it will have to happen eventually
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #20
Wise
Circle Work Clerk

Drives: 2012 Mt. Fuji Red Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'm going to have to try this method, after I screwed up most of the rubber grommets after removing the armrest as I wasn't happy with the fit (My bad as my template must have been off slightly).

I've already sourced a replacement centre console piece, so I might do this method on that piece since it's already off the car and then install that and replace the original centre console that is sort of screwed now.
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #21
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for this. I'm guessing yours came with the template? I got mine from UK seller snowsgroupwest and I only got the armrest and hardware. Doesn't seem too hard to get it where it needs to be though.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #22
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
Thanks for this. I'm guessing yours came with the template? I got mine from UK seller snowsgroupwest and I only got the armrest and hardware. Doesn't seem too hard to get it where it needs to be though.
I honestly don't think it did, IIRC I found it online and printed it out.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #23
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks. I just found the instructions with the printout online.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:43 AM   #24
broberg

Drives: 2017 BRZ
I installed mine a couple of days ago, have to say that the rubber expansion bolts are plenty secure. Seems like overkill to remove the center console just for that. Sure if it's already out anyway then nuts and bolts are a more permanent solution, but in car the rubber ones work fine.

If the rubber ones can hold the fairings together on the ducati supersport then it can hold a armrest in place ��

The tip on just drilling the holes for the three pegs with the template and then using the frame itsef as the guide is excellent!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #25
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by broberg View Post
I installed mine a couple of days ago, have to say that the rubber expansion bolts are plenty secure. Seems like overkill to remove the center console just for that. Sure if it's already out anyway then nuts and bolts are a more permanent solution, but in car the rubber ones work fine.

If the rubber ones can hold the fairings together on the ducati supersport then it can hold a armrest in place ��

The tip on just drilling the holes for the three pegs with the template and then using the frame itsef as the guide is excellent!
I thought the same after using anchors on the 3 side bolts. But over time I had concern that they would eventually loosen up and figured I'd make it permanent. The center console does come out relatively easy, so why not.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
tose86

Drives: SE860
860 Install

Just installed one in an 860. Didn't like the idea of the larger holes in the console, cut off the three support posts under the hinge with a dremel, got some black screws at the hw store, fit the frame on the console, drilled small starter holes, attached the frame to the console, installed the arm rest cushion.

Tried to change the silver stitching to orange with a scripto to match the 860 but was a bit too reddish, changed to black scripto and blacked out the stitching. There's a bit of a strain on the frame when the arm rest is moved vertically due to the springs that keep it vertical, but it's working ok so far. If it becomes a problem, I'll either remove one or both of the springs or put a flat head screw near the hinge area.
tose86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #27
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Just saw this about 30 minutes ago. Had some random hardware laying around to give it a test fit. Works really well. Gunna try and find some black/Ti hex bolts to use and make it look real pretty now that I know it's a pretty easy process.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #28
Byza

Quote:
Originally Posted by tose86 View Post
Just installed one in an 860. Didn't like the idea of the larger holes in the console, cut off the three support posts under the hinge with a dremel, got some black screws at the hw store, fit the frame on the console, drilled small starter holes, attached the frame to the console, installed the arm rest cushion.

Tried to change the silver stitching to orange with a scripto to match the 860 but was a bit too reddish, changed to black scripto and blacked out the stitching. There's a bit of a strain on the frame when the arm rest is moved vertically due to the springs that keep it vertical, but it's working ok so far. If it becomes a problem, I'll either remove one or both of the springs or put a flat head screw near the hinge area.
Hate to tell you this now, but you could have purchased one with orange stitching. The toyota part number for the LHD version is PW281-18000-E7.