follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2024, 03:24 PM   #71
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ok so here is my story. I know this is an old thread but information on this transmission and platform is VERY scarce.

Boosted 2017 AT at 93K with HKS Kit @7psi

The trans was serviced at 60K as normal. My trans saw a lot of mountain and some hpde days between 60K-93K when NA. At 93K trans was serviced with LiquidMoly ATF along with the turbo install. I'm 10K miles later and its seen 2 track days and up until yesterday tail of the Dragon. At Barber, had one session throw CEL for transmission solenoid locked. Cleared with DTC tool with Ecutek and all was fine. This happened during hottest part of day and car was hot. At AMP, I spun on track and limped back to the pits as the transmission was holding when in gear but if I let off the gas RPM would drop to 0k. Car was noticeably hot and let it sit for an hour during lunch break and was able to resume the day wiht no issue.

Scheduled for AT cooler install on Tuesday this up coming week.
Yesterday (saturday) went to tail of the Dragon. On the mountain, 3rd gear slips entirely and 5 feels iffy. Even after a few hours of letting car sit, no codes. Able to get back home driving in 4th gear. It did throw codes once again for transmission solenoid locked. Cleared with DTC tool with Ecutek made it home. Car sat over night took it for a small drive. RIP 3rd gear it just slips entirely.

replacement trans with cooler incoming.
Espi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Espi For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-07-2024), new2subaru (04-10-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 12:09 PM   #72
Espi

Drives: 17 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Found out SSP is still making trans coolers (build to order). A bit pricey but seems like a great unit. Does anyone have experience with it?

https://www.maperformance.com/produc...on-fr-s-brz-tc
Espi is offline   Reply With Quote