follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which one will you be buying?
Xbox One 86 29.25%
PS4 189 64.29%
Undecided 31 10.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2013, 04:22 PM   #491
VADER
Regional Moderator

Drives: VADER 86
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/...dulent-charges
VADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #492
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfusionpm View Post
I hadn't heard of it anyway, but seeing as my 360 is right next to my X1 and my TV has four HDMI inputs, I really never saw the need. :P

I finally moved all my stuff into my room... Wanted to game within sitting distance of the computer.

I also just bought LEGO Marvel Superheroes download version. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to begin playing it withing 5% of the DOWNLOAD! I don't know how the PS4 is, but on both old systems, you had to wait until the entire game downloaded before playing (and wait for install on PS3). I think this will be my preferred way of getting games from now on. Not only will they be accessible from any console in the world (with my login), but I won't have to fumble around with discs anymore, and access seems to be dang near instant.

Dude my brother had to wait like 2 hours to play BF4 online the other night. Maybe we did something wrong but man was that annoying.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #493
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER View Post
The approach the media takes to stories like this is really a huge pet peeve of mine. I see it with Facebook, Twitter, etc.. Unless information comes out that there was another breach at Sony, which you'd think they'd have learned since they've beefed up security, I'm chalking this one to ID ten T errors. Because in most cases where you end up with stolen passwords, it's not hacking. It's phishing and social engineering. Those junk emails that tell you to "BETTER LOG INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT BECAUSE WE HAVE DETECTED FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY! JUST CLICK HERE AND FILL OUT THIS FORM WITH ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION!" and that sort of thing. People actually fall for that shit. And it's people that get their computers infected with some form of malware that logs keystrokes or pulls data and then feeds that data back to a server. Yeah, I cleaned a handful of those from machines this year. Or they have a list of email addresses and brute force against a password list, although that's more likely against a login system like this.

A lot of people use the same password for everything. They could have fifty accounts, and their password for all of them is "123456." That's why the Sony rep says make sure your password is different than what you use elsewhere on the internet.

However, if there was a breach at Sony, I'm sure we'll all hear about it soon enough.

Interestingly though in the story, I didn't know this same thing happened with Xbox Live in 2011.

Quote:
I also just bought LEGO Marvel Superheroes download version. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to begin playing it withing 5% of the DOWNLOAD! I don't know how the PS4 is, but on both old systems, you had to wait until the entire game downloaded before playing (and wait for install on PS3). I think this will be my preferred way of getting games from now on. Not only will they be accessible from any console in the world (with my login), but I won't have to fumble around with discs anymore, and access seems to be dang near instant.
Yeah, that's supposed to be a feature of the PS4 as well. I haven't tried it yet, as I want to stick to discs as much as possible. Nice setup you have there. I've been thinking about moving my Wii U upstairs now that I bought a 65" tv for the living room and moved the 42" to the bedroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
Dude my brother had to wait like 2 hours to play BF4 online the other night. Maybe we did something wrong but man was that annoying.
BF4 is kind of a clusterfuck right now on all of the systems. Bad enough that DICE has delayed future work for it to fix the problems. Might not be anything on your end.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #494
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
[QUOTE=n2oinferno;1375292]

I was referring to the download time, but yeah that's why im not rushing to go and get myself an X1. I have the xbox slim edition whatever and Its running perfectly well. Once the majority of people out there have the X1 or the first price drop is when I'll be getting mine. All I want is for now is Forza 5 and that can wait.
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #495
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
Different games will have different install points, and it looks like they don't tell you ahead of time. Some games only let you play certain elements until the game is fully installed. LEGO Marvel is pretty straightforward and likely downloads and installs the engine and first level while the rest DLs in the background. Things like multiplayer maps and online content usually installs last. CoD Ghosts required 50% installed before being able to play. I'm just happy that games download and install at the same time, instead of PS3-style of downloading in full THEN installing.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #496
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
Yeah, that's supposed to be a feature of the PS4 as well. I haven't tried it yet, as I want to stick to discs as much as possible. Nice setup you have there. I've been thinking about moving my Wii U upstairs now that I bought a 65" tv for the living room and moved the 42" to the bedroom.
Thanks! And that's one of the features I loved from the get-go on X1 (not requiring disc) that had to be removed after the internet connection was no longer required. I don't like having to change discs. I want to swap on the fly to any game I want. What's the point of all those quick changes and home page shortcuts if I have to go get another disc anyway? IMO.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #497
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-on...ong-1471191836
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #498
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
The approach the media takes to stories like this is really a huge pet peeve of mine. I see it with Facebook, Twitter, etc.. Unless information comes out that there was another breach at Sony, which you'd think they'd have learned since they've beefed up security, I'm chalking this one to ID ten T errors. Because in most cases where you end up with stolen passwords, it's not hacking. It's phishing and social engineering. Those junk emails that tell you to "BETTER LOG INTO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT BECAUSE WE HAVE DETECTED FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY! JUST CLICK HERE AND FILL OUT THIS FORM WITH ALL OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION!" and that sort of thing. People actually fall for that shit. And it's people that get their computers infected with some form of malware that logs keystrokes or pulls data and then feeds that data back to a server. Yeah, I cleaned a handful of those from machines this year. Or they have a list of email addresses and brute force against a password list, although that's more likely against a login system like this.

However, if there was a breach at Sony, I'm sure we'll all hear about it soon enough.
I've heard absolutely nothing about this, and I probably would have.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #499
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
I wonder what would happen if they compared install times to the glorious master race PC games...

Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #500
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
Quote:
I wonder what would happen if they compared install times to the glorious master race PC games...
As a PC Gamer, I guess I'd say the PC will be slower, but I'm really not sure why anyone cares. Then again, my tag line on Steam and Xbox Live is "Patience over skill..." so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #501
cfusionpm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
As a PC Gamer, I guess I'd say the PC will be slower, but I'm really not sure why anyone cares. Then again, my tag line on Steam and Xbox Live is "Patience over skill..." so maybe I'm not the best judge.
The point was arguing over install times is silly. If anything, I would get rid of the disc medium entirely. The download and install of the game I got online was nearly instant. I'll probably buy and download all my games digitally from now on. In addition to speeding up access and install times, I won't have to fumble around with discs when I want to change games. They all have to full install anyway, so why even have a disc?

The Following User Says Thank You to cfusionpm For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #502
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen View Post
I've heard absolutely nothing about this, and I probably would have.

I've heard rumors that they're brute forcing against the passwords that were actually hacked from Adobe recently.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #503
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
... They all have to full install anyway, so why even have a disc?
I'm a bit old-school, but I like "owning" the game on physical media even if its just to sit on the shelf. Same thing with music and movies. If I can't touch it, I don't feel like I truly "own" it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #504
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
PC will definitely be slower. Most games don't have the PS4/XboxOne install scheme where you can play while downloading. Even when some PC games have the ability, you can't play it until the majority of it has been installed.

This whole thing is not a big deal at all and should not sway anyone from purchasing one or the other. Just thought I'd mention it because cfusion stated he wasn't sure the PS4 did the same.

Another thing worth mentioning is hard drive replacements. Most people know you can easily swap hard drives on the PS4 and get better performance going ssd, hybrid, or 7200rpm+ hard drives. They recently did a hard drive swap on the XboxOne and it gave absolutely no performance gains. Which seems very odd.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AsianStyle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (12-09-2013)