follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
did you try resetting the ECU after header installed?
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wait wait wait wait, you installed a header and didnt tune the car. Usually this means 1 CEL will pop, not the same one yes but the camshaft position depends on what the engine reads from O2 sensors to add or reduce timing. While not directly related, your header without a tune might have actually caused the issue. It might dissapear if you tune it, but most likely the damage is already done. They can deny you the warranty work based on the header btw, just saying (they as in eithe the dealer, or subaru, or both; it only takes one of them for it to not be done under warranty).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
While not directly related, your header without a tune might have actually caused the issue.
Changing the header and getting a camshaft position sensor error is like changing the intake and getting a low oil light.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #18
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Changing the header and getting a camshaft position sensor error is like changing the intake and getting a low oil light.
So are you saying the ECU doesnt try to adjust the camshaft position while reading lean or rich mixtures from the O2 sensor to compensate? I though that was how the ECU worked, reads things entering the engine (air, fuel), reads things coming out of the engine (unburn fuel, unburn O2), adjusts amount of fuel, ignition timing and camshaft position to reach ideal conditions, right?

Im all for learning some more if you wish to go into some detail please
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #19
strat61caster
-

Quote:
So are you saying the ECU doesnt try to adjust the camshaft position while reading lean or rich mixtures from the O2 sensor to compensate? I though that was how the ECU worked, reads things entering the engine (air, fuel), reads things coming out of the engine (unburn fuel, unburn O2), adjusts amount of fuel, ignition timing and camshaft position to reach ideal conditions, right?

Im all for learning some more if you wish to go into some detail please
Certainly.

The ECU would not throw P0018 if it was unable to compensate timing, air, and fuel like you postulate, that would be one of the more common CEL's associated with removing a catalytic converter and creating unexpected O2 sensor readings (I don't know them off the top of my head).

P0018 relates to the camshaft itself not being able to do as the ECU tells it to. Whether it's a electrical issue or a mechanical one, it's entirely to do with the ECU saying 'camshaft do this' and the camshaft doesn't do that and thus it throws an error.

Here is the Subaru service bulletin about diagnosing and fixing the problem, it involves checking the oil control valves and potentially replacing the camshaft gears and/or ECU.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=13

Purely speculation time: This appears after people modify intake/exhaust/other because they put their shiny new parts on and go out and drive them hard to get their monies worth and feel the difference that their blood sweat and tears made.

This works the engine harder than it may have been working previously, asking more of the variable valve timing than it usually sees causing a latent deficiency to appear. I believe if the part had not been installed and the owner had gone out and driven it the exact same way leading up to the CEL the error still would have occurred.

I saw my car throw P0011 error 2 years ago at a track day, cleared it and it never came back despite a track day and many autox's since.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #20
Icecreamtruk

Quote:
Certainly.

The ECU would not throw P0018 if it was unable to compensate timing, air, and fuel like you postulate, that would be one of the more common CEL's associated with removing a catalytic converter and creating unexpected O2 sensor readings (I don't know them off the top of my head).

P0018 relates to the camshaft itself not being able to do as the ECU tells it to. Whether it's a electrical issue or a mechanical one, it's entirely to do with the ECU saying 'camshaft do this' and the camshaft doesn't do that and thus it throws an error.

Here is the Subaru service bulletin about diagnosing and fixing the problem, it involves checking the oil control valves and potentially replacing the camshaft gears and/or ECU.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=13

Purely speculation time: This appears after people modify intake/exhaust/other because they put their shiny new parts on and go out and drive them hard to get their monies worth and feel the difference that their blood sweat and tears made.

This works the engine harder than it may have been working previously, asking more of the variable valve timing than it usually sees causing a latent deficiency to appear. I believe if the part had not been installed and the owner had gone out and driven it the exact same way leading up to the CEL the error still would have occurred.

I saw my car throw P0011 error 2 years ago at a track day, cleared it and it never came back despite a track day and many autox's since.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification, it makes much more sense now. Yeah Im guilty myself of driving harder after installing parts.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #21
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
They can deny you the warranty work based on the header btw, just saying (they as in eithe the dealer, or subaru, or both; it only takes one of them for it to not be done under warranty).
Electrical components is not covered under the powertrain warranty.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:42 PM   #22
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'd stop guessing and just call Subaru and go through the issue with them.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #23
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Electrical components is not covered under the powertrain warranty.
Hypothetically speaking, what if it were the camshaft failure in the picture I link below. Would you consider that part of the powertrain warranty under "Engine block and all internal parts"?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=2970

Given that the standard procedure for diagnoses contains the potential to replace the camshaft gear, I would expect a competent dealership to say 'we can look into it, but we will charge you if it's not covered'.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:01 PM   #24
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Hypothetically speaking, what if it were the camshaft failure in the picture I link below. Would you consider that part of the powertrain warranty under "Engine block and all internal parts"?

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=2970

Given that the standard procedure for diagnoses contains the potential to replace the camshaft gear, I would expect a competent dealership to say 'we can look into it, but we will charge you if it's not covered'.
A competent dealer, yes, but this is also assuming the standard fix for this problem is the same and is a mechanical (and not electrical/sensor) issue.

If mechanical then it should be powertrain.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-08-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #25
infinitewhiskey

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi0424 View Post
Was yours a catless header or chatted and did you already have a tune on it when that happened

I haven't tuned mine yet and it's catless. I also haven't even gotten he p0042 code yet for cat efficiency
Catless OFH V1 with OFT stage 2 tune
infinitewhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #26
DirtySouth86

Drives: 2017 TOYOTA 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just had a 2013 Scion FRS w/ automatic trans in our shop with p0016 problem. We were successful repairing that vehicle and now the problem is solved. The "fix" required the following: replacement of the associated oil control valve, replacement of the associated timing gear, replacement and programming/initialization of the ECM. We did the mechanical repairs 1st, but the ECM had erroneous values burned in. Reprogramming the ECM did not work. After replacing & programming the ECM, the problem was corrected.
DirtySouth86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:54 PM   #27
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would just suggest getting under the hood again and making sure all plugs are well fastened and no wires are being pulled too tight. I had a P0010 pop up after installing mine, and realized I had left a plug undone from the install. Hopefully your issue turns out to be something similar
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #28
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySouth86 View Post
Just had a 2013 Scion FRS w/ automatic trans in our shop with p0016 problem. We were successful repairing that vehicle and now the problem is solved. The "fix" required the following: replacement of the associated oil control valve, replacement of the associated timing gear, replacement and programming/initialization of the ECM. We did the mechanical repairs 1st, but the ECM had erroneous values burned in. Reprogramming the ECM did not work. After replacing & programming the ECM, the problem was corrected.
Have you ever seen issues like this with non-Subaru engines?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camshaft, crankshaft, header, p0018, warranty